Food4less

Tempus Fugit

I prefer to buy local.

I agree. But even more than that - I'm trying to move towards buying / cooking / eating stuff which hasn't been transported so far. So I'm starting to flinch at buying mange tout and green beans from Kenya (M&S) for example.

There is a local fruit and veg stall Saturday mornings on the quay in Ramsey. A farmers' market would be fantastic - and I think it would be well supported. I wonder whether there would be enough produce.

I'm a fan of the few remaining fish shops. But is there much local fish? (Apart from the excellent local queenies, of course). Doesn't much of the fish come from Manchester on a Thursday?

Tesco ain't the only place to buy food online. There are some excellent companies in the UK who do speciality cheeses via the post. For example.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd definately be behind a farmers' market - that'd be ace. I'm not a great fish eater but I know a few people who buy it "down south" and its usually very fresh (apparently). Are there any other independent grocers asides from Robinsons?

I prefer to buy local. Simons right, a lot of the Robinsons stuff does seem to come from across, Carrots, Brocolli, Fruit and other stuff. Its mostly spuds, cabbage and turnips that seem to be frequently Manx.  Obviously seasonal change plays a large part in it, but its by no means all Manx. I buy meat from the butchers and the small amount of fish i eat from the fish shop - so for all the other stuff it doesn't matter.

I'm actually quite tempted to try this Tesco online, how fast can they deliver?

All the uncooked red meat in Tescos is IOM produce and they sell a lot of local Cheese, cream & milk etc. I understand that one reason why they dont sell much local veg is the lack of continuous supply of the quantities they require.

I also understand that they are doing a deal with IOM creameries to send Manx cheese to the UK for sale in some UK stores.

Have used online shopping. Its great, and cheap if you pick the right day. look at their website, it gives you the choice of time & day, and I think you can order up to 6PM for a next day delivery.

Tescos are in douglas though

which means travel and petrol.... xxxx that

but you have Morrisons in Ramsey :D

Given any opportunity we will visit Morrisons to stock up with fresh products and meat in particular.

A friend from the south shopped in Morrisons today, so they come from far and wide :P

On the downside of Tesco, we bought a pack of salad on friday evening, and when we opened it sunday it was wet and not the usual crisp product (yet was 'best before 4th'), so maybe the extra throughput is straining quality control.

We did get some fantastic bargains though, fruit marked down from £1.59 to 10p :D:D:D

Given any opportunity we will visit Morrisons to stock up with fresh products and meat in particular.

Eh? Morrissons in Ramsey isn't exactly great for meat. :blink: I mean it isn't terrible but Shoprite would have a better selection - and also a butchers' counter if you can't see what you want pre packed.

But more than that. Much more than that. If your're coming up to Ramsey to buy meat then go to Teares (the butchers) in Parliament Street. It's a quality shop. Then you can ask for what you actually want. Prepared how you want it. Or even call them in advance and put in an order.

It's what they're for.

But more than that. Much more than that. If your're coming up to Ramsey to buy meat then go to Teares (the butchers) in Parliament Street. It's a quality shop. Then you can ask for what you actually want. Prepared how you want it. Or even call them in advance and put in an order.

It's what they're for.

pity the only day we can get there is a sunday :(

Speaking of Tescos online, thought I would give it a go once...... Well, they certainly must have spent a lot of time and effort on my shopping. Yes, it must have taken them ages to search the shop picking only the worst produce off the shelves (or the floor). The tins were dented and the fruit was bruised, some were what I'd call inedible.

I wouldn't recommed it but desperate times and all that.

They were quite good and had no problem replacing the worst of the fruit. Although it was just within it's sell by date when they sold it, it was beyond use. We kept the tin, I'm not really sure what I think about dented tins, maybe that can be my thought for the day.

I have to say that "200% Fresh" sign at Food4Less puts me off shopping there. It might aswell say "Not Fresh", it's so meaningless.

Kennaugh's Ballaleece - is some of the fruit and veg not from Robinson's? I know the spuds are local but bit of a ? over the fruit. Used to go there, not any more, it's Ramsey and Brian from Andreas for me! Quite a good little market on the quay, great place for a real farmers market if they got themselves organised. Also, good butchers in the street but watch out for the chicken, thought it was local but think it's from Chester? Ordered the Christmas turkey last year from him thinking it would be local and when I picked it up he told me it was from Chester!! :( St Johns Mart this year. Best thing to do is ask.

I stand corrected about Tesco.

Went on Monday and they've made some huge changes. Good to see more local choice. Could still do better though in my opinion. Why import all the fancy salads, sandwiches and stuff when we've got a load of produce here to use?

Shoprite do loads of that kind of stuff and it's pretty good.

Unlike their fruit and veg. :/

And Kennaughs only sell what they grow btw.

Went on Monday and they've made some huge changes.  Good to see more local choice.  Could still do better though in my opinion.  Why import all the fancy salads, sandwiches and stuff when we've got a load of produce here to use?

Price.

There's nothing similar in douglas is there? Nearest farm shop I can think of is the one on the whitebridge?

I stand corrected about Tesco.

Went on Monday and they've made some huge changes.  Good to see more local choice.  Could still do better though in my opinion.  Why import all the fancy salads, sandwiches and stuff when we've got a load of produce here to use?

Shoprite do loads of that kind of stuff and it's pretty good.

Unlike their fruit and veg. :/

Kennaughs - Where do they grow the oranges!

Archived