Public Demonstrations

chris

When was the last time there was a public demonstration on the Isle of Man? I have looked in the news archives and cannot find any reference to any. At what point do the the people on the island take to the streets to show their disquiet at corruption within the establishment? Many posts have suggested that the level of political and judicial incompetence and corruption is no different from anywhere else. In every other country, whether it be the UK or Zimbabwe the people voice their concerns through public displays of disaffection.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what about public demonstrations about internal matters such as establishment cronyism and the failure of the Deemsters protection of civil rights?

"establishment cronyism" - it is hard to protest about something so nebulous. What would the aims be - "End Establishment Cronyism Now!" to which the CM replies "ok" and carries on much as before.

"the failure of the Deemsters [to provide] protection of civil rights" - I don't even know what issue you are referring to here.

Might have a point on the Roly issue but the others aren't really in the Deemsters' remit, more in the legislators'.

Personally, I'd perfer to demonstrate for something. So the Human Rights Bill might be worthwhile. However, protest just cos your pissed off about something (say the MEA, or Mount Murray) seems futile. Unless there is a workable solution to the MEA problem, which the Govt ignores (and frankly, right now, I think they'd snatch the hand off anyone who has one), what could a demonstration achieve on that issue?

Unless there is a workable solution to the MEA problem, which the Govt ignores (and frankly, right now, I think they'd snatch the hand off anyone who has one), what could a demonstration achieve on that issue?

They could and more to the point should 'Do a Railtrack'.

Unfortunately, lethargy is a way of life on the island. Everyone complains, but only in conversation. It is rare that anyone is willing to get off their backside and actually do something.

In many places, I'd suggest, such a massive hike in gas and electricity prices as we've recently endured would have led to some form of public demonstration, but not here.

Having taken part in one or two peaceful demos in recent years, I know how hard it is to get past the natural inertia of the population and, if any such demonstration inconveniences members of the public, how easy it is to lose support for what may be an entirely justifiable cause.

Political activists - as opposed to grumblers - are pretty thin on the ground in these parts.

The Manx have demonstrated quite a lot of times and held 'mass' public rallies.

Think it was 1918 when the whole of the island went on strike over the price of bread and the Home Secretary forced Lord Raglan and his self-interested cronies to push through income tax.

There was also rallies on the promenade in support of the Boarding Houses owners who wished to have government funding as there was no tourist industry.

Also you have the Radio Caroline supporters who held a demonstration and, this surprised me, pro-birch marchers!!

I don't know but I remember seeing photos of some hippy who was demonstrating about the finance sector coming to the island, wasn't it the FSFO (Finance Sector F*ck Off) movement.

Don't know why people don't feel the need to demonstrate any more, is it apathy?

.............if any such demonstration inconveniences members of the public, how easy it is to lose support for what may be an entirely justifiable cause......

That'll be the Taxi thing then eh?

In fairness, I just don't think it was hugh profile enough. I mean, people maybe just didn't understand what the actual point of the protest was.

All they were faced with was the (stereo)typical moaning taxi driver delaying them getting to / from work.

And because of that, it backfired. The feeling for Taxi drivers certainly didn't turn to love and peace did it.

Archived