Contract To Promote TT.....

ManxTaxPayer

Skelly is a parochial, shop-keeping, chump who should not be within 100 miles of Ministerial responsibility. He is far from alone in that defect. What do you get when you have a politically disconnected community, low-rent candidates standing for national office, and a COMIN comprised of third-rate intellect and experience? This.

And what was the DED CEO doing and who advised COMIN?

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't likely to just be down to a minister.

Some big heads need to roll here. Enough of this 'lessons learned' bullshit.

This will be the first real test of Quayle's government. And I can already see the likely outcome won't be seen favourably by the tax payer.

It will be interesting to see if someone asks an emergency question tomorrow and if Watterson allows it - though I'm sure that Skelly and co will just hide behind not being able to say anything for legal reason (plus our old friend Commercial Confidentiality of course). However clearly everything that went wrong, went wrong before the Election, so the new MHKs can't be blamed, nor those such as Beecroft and Turner who expressed misgivings in the debate back in April.

I'll just reiterate something I said yesterday in an attempt to enlighten notwell (though he appears to have missed it judging by his comments above):

Why would anyone be transferred if a contract wasn't signed?

Because you don't need a formal contract to create a legal and financial obligation. All sorts of other actions can be deemed to create a such a relationship - transferring staff (I'm not saying that has happened here) certainly would, and so would a Tynwald resolution - or even a speech by a Minister or other person deemed responsible.

In fact the obligations created by such situations can be even greater than contractual ones. Why contracts are important is often to limit such obligations. When the Vision 9 deal was being discussed on here before, I pointed to the previous disaster in this area, concerning the situation with Signature Sponsorship. In that case IOMG ended up paying them around £750,000 for literally doing nothing - and yet no contract had ever been signed. (My comment contains the link to the Tynwald Report on the issue).

In this case, given the length of the deal proposed, the wider remit than in the Signature case and the possible reputational damage, it would be possible that the compensation due would be in the millions. And that would be increased if, as usual, the main priority was to try to keep things quiet to protect the Manx politicians and officials who cocked things up.

I'd add as well that the Athol Street lawyers may not be rubbing their hands at all. Because of the lack of a contract, it may well be that Vision 9 will attempt to have the case heard in the English Courts, thus depriving the DED of their home advantage and the Manx Bar of some lucrative work.

Skelly is a parochial, shop-keeping, chump who should not be within 100 miles of Ministerial responsibility. He is far from alone in that defect. What do you get when you have a politically disconnected community, low-rent candidates standing for national office, and a COMIN comprised of third-rate intellect and experience? This.

And what was the DED CEO doing and who advised COMIN?

This isn't likely to just be down to a minister.

Some big heads need to roll here. Enough of this 'lessons learned' bullshit.

This will be the first real test of Quayle's government. And I can already see the likely outcome won't be seen favourably by the tax payer.

The Minister is only there to protect the civil servants from the consequences of their own incompetence. I fear that the decision to run with Vision Nine over others was made with encouragement from within the CS and from an outside consultant for reasons other than the competitiveness of the bid. I think this has been uncovered rendering the process flawed.

Can we tender for a company to come in and run DED for us?

Well of course that's effectively what has happened. Vision 9 were to be employed to do something that the DED used to do and, surprise, surprise, it didn't work out. This all demonstrates the real problem with all the cries we regularly hear for things to be privatised - you can't just privatise a public service without having all sorts of checks involved to prevent the new owners/operators from abusing their position. And the system you need to set up to that is not only expensive (for both sides) but probably requires more skill to run that the original service.

Why did it collapse then? What difficulties became apparent after the process that wasn't obvious before?

In truth I don't know, but a fair guess (silo mentality) is that DED pushed this through COMIN/Tynwald without other "stakeholders" (can't stand that term actually) being fully in the picture. Then when the details come out someone...probably several someones...says "Er...what about X...and Y...and Z?" Cue DED panic and back-tracking.

The moment I heard that Malarkey had been made a Minister I gave up all hope.

No Vision.

img_8554_500x260.jpg

Cretters was all over that Signature deal too and wasn't it £1.6 million?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/1-6m-contract-for-tt-was-not-signed-1-5089864

it's a bit off topic i realise and maybe not too relevant but at least our lads are wearing ties
That's because they are consumate professionals....

ETA. And it's all now sub-judice; aka commercially confidential.....

22 carat, gilt-edged clusterfuck. Nice one Lawrence. Surely, time for Skelly and Corlett to do one??

It certainly doesn't look good for either of them but especially the CEO?

He has a veritable army of people in his department many of whom are well out of their depth when it comes to commercial matters. Methinks this never went anywhere near Treasury's Procurement Department or the AG's office until it was way too late, hence the comment a few weeks ago about the delay to the contract because of inter-departmental disagreement.

Joined up government. What joined up government?

Archived