Contract To Promote TT.....

ManxTaxPayer

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main growth factor for me would be to try and get closer to the attendance levels of the years prior to the centenary event. Another 10-15,000 people would make all the difference. That could boost the economy by c.£11,000,000

There is still a huge amount of scope to increase attendances at the MGP and CTT as we have at least another 30,000 capacity available at current levels to play with. This could provide an economic boost of c.£22,000,000.

They may actually be able to spend more when they are here if the steam packet weren't creaming them quite so much

Amen to that...

Me and the car will cost £385 on the ferry and I had to part with £50 of that last May! On top of that my home stay will cost another £400. Factor in fuel & food for two and a bit weeks and I'm over a grand in the hole before I've even thought about having a pint.

I've banged this drum before so forgive me for doing it again but there seems to be this obsession with people coming for three days. Regency Travel's advert at the TT refers to "...3 action packed nights from only....."

Staying for a short period of time doesn't give the visitor time to a) spend much or b) get around the Island and spend more widely.

Vision 9's promise to increase the visitor numbers by the amount promised could not have happened. The infrastructure simply isn't there on the Island anymore, so you need to encourage visitors to stay longer in order to spend more. That won't happen by skinning us alive at every opportunity!

"Me and the car will cost £385 on the ferry and I had to part with £50 of that last May! On top of that my home stay will cost another £400. Factor in fuel & food for two and a bit weeks and I'm over a grand in the hole before I've even thought about having a pint."

This is no different anywhere. I paid £210 a night to stay for 4 nights in a caravan in Devon. It's the summer. That's peak time. It costs more.

I really don't understand the moaning about the cost of getting to and staying at the TT.

A half decent week's holiday in Europe for two people in the summer will set you back £2000 before you spend a penny.

Travel is expensive these days. Pretty much everywhere.

Vision 9 could have increased visitor numbers. The problem that most people seem to have with this concept is that they cannot look at increasing numbers of visitors outside of the confines of the existing TT box. V9 were talking about increasing numbers substantially over the course of the contract term, not from year one and in order to achieve that they would, presumably have to change the existing race and practice programme to incorporate 2 weekend spikes rather than the existing one weekend spike. That would have to happen if the TT was ever to move toward live TV coverage (where the real money is) anyway, as there is simply no mileage or cash in televising anything live when the audience is not there to watch it. That would take racing out of midweek days and into weekends.

This whole episode was dogged by lack of understanding, lack of ambition, lack of vision and a reluctance to consider that the TT can be successful in any different format than that which currently exists. Its the kind of limited thinking that dogs our politicians and our Government that will consign the Island to a limited future.

Vision 9 could have increased visitor numbers. The problem that most people seem to have with this concept is that they cannot look at increasing numbers of visitors outside of the confines of the existing TT box. V9 were talking about increasing numbers substantially over the course of the contract term, not from year one and in order to achieve that they would, presumably have to change the existing race and practice programme to incorporate 2 weekend spikes rather than the existing one weekend spike. That would have to happen if the TT was ever to move toward live TV coverage (where the real money is) anyway, as there is simply no mileage or cash in televising anything live when the audience is not there to watch it. That would take racing out of midweek days and into weekends.

This whole episode was dogged by lack of understanding, lack of ambition, lack of vision and a reluctance to consider that the TT can be successful in any different format than that which currently exists. Its the kind of limited thinking that dogs our politicians and our Government that will consign the Island to a limited future.

I think a lot of what they had in mind could have been applied outside of the TT period too, extending and improving our tourism offer. They had imaginative ideas for handling the travel and accommodation issues which would have benefited the visitor.

I don't think this was scuppered totally by lack of vision joebean, the politicians had given the go ahead. It seems that two things happened, the civil service departmental structure ganged up on the idea, wanting more investment for themselves. There was also the issue of the bidding and selection process being a bit unsafe due to the involvement of certain parties at some stage.

I agree with your analysis,in the main. It shows that Departments cannot and will not work together and there is insufficient leadership at the top to make them do so. Personally, I don't care that much if the TT is successful in the future or whether it fades into obscurity; I fear the latter with its unfortunate consequences for the tourism industry. What really bothers me is the structural faults inside Government that made this initiative and perhaps more important ones to come, flounder. If the Island wants to succeed it needs better people with better ideas and motivations in charge, politically and organisationally.

"Me and the car will cost £385 on the ferry and I had to part with £50 of that last May! On top of that my home stay will cost another £400. Factor in fuel & food for two and a bit weeks and I'm over a grand in the hole before I've even thought about having a pint."

This is no different anywhere. I paid £210 a night to stay for 4 nights in a caravan in Devon. It's the summer. That's peak time. It costs more.

I really don't understand the moaning about the cost of getting to and staying at the TT.

A half decent week's holiday in Europe for two people in the summer will set you back £2000 before you spend a penny.

Travel is expensive these days. Pretty much everywhere.

Who the fuck do you book with? sawyercomingyerdaftbastard.com?

Archived