Contract To Promote TT.....

ManxTaxPayer

[...] I did actually think that the easy option was to remove the Minister but that is always just a cop out in order to keep the CS intact and make the whole process pain free.

Perhaps a few other top dog CS managers will sit up and take notice?

But Chris Corlett isn't a 'proper' civil servant who joined at 18 with mediocre exam results and than sat around cultivating the right contacts. If you look at his LinkedIn page:

CEO

Isle of Man Department of Economic Development

November 2012 Present (4 years 2 months)

CEO

Isle of Man Department of Social Care

April 2010 October 2012 (2 years 7 months)

CEO

Isle of Man Department of Trade & Industry

March 2003 2010 (7 years)

Executive Consultant

IBM

2002 2003 (1 year)

Executive Consultant

Cap Gemini Ernst & Young

1997 2002 (5 years)

Executive Consultant

Ernst & Young

1997 2000 (3 years)

Senior Manager

Accenture

1989 1997 (8 years)

University of Wales, Swansea

BSC First Class Honours, Management Science

1985 1989

He'd worked entirely as a management consultant before he was parachuted in to become a CEO and so had no managerial experience at all[1]. Presumably though he was fluent in Business Bullshit, which seems to be main qualification nowadays[2], but he certainly wasn't one of the boys and there must have been a lot of resentment at him taking over like that.

Still, as you will have noticed, the other two Departments he ran werre in such a state afterwards that they had to be broken up or taken over by another Department. So maybe DT will get his wish that the DED will soon be no more.

[1] You don't become a 'Senior Manager' at a big consulting company like Anderson Consulting (as it was actually called then) straight from university.

[2] Being a kind person I have removed it from the CV.

Does it say he joined them as a senior manager?

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do actually. Which is why I didn't get Rogers point about him suggesting that Corlett was insinuating that he joined straight from Uni as a Senior Manager.

I wasn't really suggesting that he was, just that his actual managerial experience was unlikely to be extensive there if he was only employed for eight years starting from Uni. Though it could be like our own FSA and have lots of people with Manager in their job titles without them actually having anyone for them to manage. In any case all he would have been managing, perhaps just for his last year, would have been other management consultants, rather than people who were doing something. Admittedly you might argue that was good training for Manx Government.

• 3 months later...

Heads should roll but they won't. How can you expect people who are cerebrally challenged to make such important commercial decisions? You can't. Unfortunately all this is representative of the level of intelligence we have in key positions.

Mr Skelly said the new promoters "demonstrated a real passion and knowledge about the TT".
He added that they have the skills and investment to take the TT to the "next level" and "capitalise on progress" made by the government.

Mr Cretney said: "This decision signals a new era for the development and realisation of the TT and Classic TT's potential for the benefit of our island."

Both out of their depth.

'People don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed.' Nietzsche

Mr Skelly said the new promoters "demonstrated a real passion and knowledge about the TT".

He added that they have the skills and investment to take the TT to the "next level" and "capitalise on progress" made by the government.

Mr Cretney said: "This decision signals a new era for the development and realisation of the TT and Classic TT's potential for the benefit of our island."

Both out of their depth.

'People don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed.' Nietzsche

This is what happens when you have people script your words for you. Often it's necessary as it's stops people cottoning on to how clueless you are, other times the people writing the words are even more challenged.

Heads should roll but they won't. How can you expect people who are cerebrally challenged to make such important commercial decisions? You can't. Unfortunately all this is representative of the level of intelligence we have in key positions.

I have fish in my aquarium with more common sense than this bunch of idiots and my fish are thick as fuck.

I have fish in my aquarium with more common sense than this bunch of idiots and my fish are thick as fuck.

In all fairness I bet Howard Quayle has Livestock on his farm with more intelligence and common sense than, him, COMIN and the rest of the Tynpotwald put together. Unfortunately we are dealing with a lot of dimwits. Only another 4 and a half years to go!

Archived