Contract To Promote TT.....

ManxTaxPayer

1 hour ago, Barlow Strada said:

the government should licence the 3 legs symbol too

From memory, there's an area of Sicily that has a very similar 3 legs as a local area/national symbol, I'm sure DED would be able to extract many years worth of licence fees if they play their cards right.

Not.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

From memory, there's an area of Sicily that has a very similar 3 legs as a local area/national symbol, I'm sure DED would be able to extract many years worth of licence fees if they play their cards right.

Not.

SS used the same....

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Not.

Sicily has a coat of arms using three bare legs with the head of Medusa in the centre. 

There is a tradesman who has the initials T.T.  and he used to use the letters depicting the TT races at the time on his van. He once had a bit of a to-do with a friend of mine. This was in the days before road rage was invented but it was the same thing. He didn't portray our races in a very good light, put it that way. Anyway, I notice he has changed his van lettering now. I suppose he must have got some business with the lettring as it was, but he didn't deserve it, I would say.

As the TT is costing us all in the region of £200 per person already then surely we have more than paid enough to be entitled to use TT whenever we feel like it :rolleyes:

From listening to Trevor Hussey on the Hansard tape I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that it is Paul Phillips. this is based on Trevor's account of how Paul was the main contact for everything and yet got no recognition/reward for his hard work. I may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but that was the conclusion I drew.

Spoiled children apparently, a bit rich since members of a government department colluded and falsified statistics to steal their 90 year old event and re-brand it as something else. The event at the time was bringing in  c.10,000 people and contributing £5m to the economy, for very little outlay in comparison to the CTT today.  

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/tt-organisers-behaved-like-spoilt-children/

37 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

From listening to Trevor Hussey on the Hansard tape I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that it is Paul Phillips. this is based on Trevor's account of how Paul was the main contact for everything and yet got no recognition/reward for his hard work. I may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but that was the conclusion I drew.

So it's you!

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Spoiled children apparently, a bit rich since members of a government department colluded and falsified statistics to steal their 90 year old event and re-brand it as something else. The event at the time was bringing in  c.10,000 people and contributing £5m to the economy, for very little outlay in comparison to the CTT today.  

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/tt-organisers-behaved-like-spoilt-children/

Long term I think the decision to expand that two weeks into a festival (and the backing that entails) is the right one. 

1 minute ago, notwell said:

Long term I think the decision to expand that two weeks into a festival (and the backing that entails) is the right one. 

I agree but there was never any intention to discuss this with the club. They were gagged while the government went out to the media with an announcement that the MGP was finished. Very underhand and of course they were then deliberately made to sound like old, entrenched moaners when they were effectively kicked out of their own event.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

When will we find out who is Mr 5% and who signed that off?

That is very very much in the taxpayers interest.

Even without Trevor Hussey's prolonged defence of Paul Phillips as the person without which the TT would collapse[1], we'd have an idea from previous testimony given.  We know from the evidence of Barrie Baxter that  the contractual obligation was for  "an employee of the DED, negotiated by one of the officers of the DED" (line 80) and that it was (l 75) "a fait accompli so any negotiation must have happened in January/February 2016. One of the employees had renegotiated a package and it included 5% of the incremental revenues".

This is presumably one of the three employees who were transferred to whoever the new company running the TT was to be (otherwise it would be straight bribe to a third party).  The three were not named by Baxter , but they already had been in the previous evidence given by Edward Bowers at the end of March (l 393 ff)

Mr Bowers: I think the fact is fairly common knowledge that the three people within the Department were offered jobs within Vision Nine, and then had to be re-employed by the Government after they tendered their resignations to go to work for Vision Nine.

Q35. The Clerk: Common knowledge? (Mr Bowers: Yes.) What does that mean?

Mr Bowers: If you think that is not true, then I think you should ask those people yourself  whether or not that is true.

Q36. The Clerk: The Committee does not know anything; the Committee only knows what people tell it. You have come in and made this statement: on what is the statement based?[2]

Mr Bowers: What has been told to me. It might have been secondhand telling at the time it was told to me, but it was from more than one source.[...]

Sorry, going back to the previous question, I have just remembered as well. David Ronan told met that about them being offered contracts with Vision Nine and would be going to work for Vision Nine.

Q38. The Clerk: Was he one of the people you were talking about?

Mr Bowers: He was in charge of motorsport for the Department at the time.

Q39. The Clerk: Yes, and is he one of the ones who was being offered a job?

Mr Bowers: No, he was not.

Later we do get the names (l 446 ff):

Q41. Mr Baker: And just to be really clear because you have said who was not part of that three and you have mentioned Paul Phillips’ name as being one of those three, could you name the other two, please?

Mr Bowers: Bruce Baker and Sophie Lowney.

As Phillips is the most important of the three, it would presumably be him who was the beneficiary.

[1]  You think that part of the job of the Head of Motorsport would be prevent a situation where that was true - if it is.

[2] I felt the questioning from the Clerk to the Committee (Jonathan King) was surprisingly forward throughout this session.  Normally the Clerk just asks for clarifications, but there seemed to be a defensiveness on behalf  of civil servants at times.  Incidentally the Assistant Clerk was a Ms N Lowney (relation?). 

Good post Roger.

I don't agree about it being "defensive on behalf of civil servants". 

If anything it is quite the opposite.  The person giving evidence made an allegation/statement which he was asked to clarify by naming names.   If we went on the basis of defensive actions the easier course of action is to almost ignore than comment and have no names named at all.

And I think Mr. Hussey places far too much importance on Paul Phillips.  He'll be retired/dead one day and  you can be certain that the TT won't stop because of it. (others things could impact on it of course but Paul Phillips not running it won't mean the end of the event.  It did perfectly well before he was ever involved).

You need to read the whole thing to see what I mean about the Clerk's questioning - it was even more marked to the other two witnesses.  None of them were particularly bad questions and would have not been unusual coming from a Committee member, but they were more inquisitorial than you would normally expect from the Clerk.

Your right about the Phillips thing of course, Hussey's evidence is a wonderful example of 'protesting too much'.

Archived