Man Convicted For Chipping Xbox

slinkydevil

A 22-year-old man has become the first person in the UK to be convicted for modifying a video games console.

The Cambridge graduate was sentenced at Caerphilly Magistrates Court ...

It definitely wasn't devil then.

I'm not surprised he was caught. His prices were a tad expensive and advertising pre-installed games, well enough said.

• 2 months later...

It's not illegal to chip an Xbox. It used to be, but not anymore. The manufacturers of the chips now use a loop hole in the law by installing either no bios or a bios that doesn't compromise security. The chips used to come pre-flashed with an illegal bios. Only by flashing with a bios that allows copied games to be played does it become illegal. You will notice that online companies like www.divineo.com are thriving whilst remaining on the right side of the law by promoting Linux Development rather than piracy.

I used to chip Xbox consoles but I would always leave it up to the individual to do the flashing.

I suspect that this guy was done for not only supplying copied games, but also for supplying the machines pre flashed with an illegal bios.

The manufacturers have always shipped chips with the Cromwell BIOS, and thats going back to the early Xecutors. Its the num-nuts who advertise l337 Xboxs preloaded with 15 games on a 160gb drive - they deserve to be busted for being thick.

As far as I'm aware, the sale of ModChips is illegal, or at least that's the precedent set in previous cases.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4650225.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3915179.stm

As well as declaring the sale of the mod chips illegal, Mr Laddie said that the use, advertising or possession of them for commercial purposes should be considered illegal too

Other countries (Italy/Spain) have said its up to the owner what they do with it, but in the UK Sony won their case.

Archived