Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy

pongo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Jesus, it's the Guardian. And it's very long...........

I suppose it boils down to how you like your authoritarianism.

You could of just said TL:DR and saved us some letters in your response.

Anything that debunks the myth of "the enemy that is PC" is going to be too long for the kind of person who think being civil to people is something to be scornful of.

PC is nothing to do with being civil to people. I am civil to everyone I meet.

There is no point you responding to the piece unless you can be bothered to actually read it.

It's an intelligent and thought provoking long-read which inevitably therefore demands a degree of engagement.

This. As soon as I see any Guardian articles it's an excuse to click off my browser and do some real work.

This. As soon as I see any Guardian articles it's an excuse to click off my browser and do some real work.

Yes judge the article before reading it...that's how it work....smh

Yes judge the article before reading it...that's how it work....smh

You just know the type of horse by the stable................

It's just another predictable analogue of typical anti-Trump rhetoric. There is nothing in it that hasn't been trumpeted (sic) before: nothing learned from it. And of course, completely subjective to the nuances of the author. It is cliché-ridden and only recycle's, in different words that which has been repeated previously.

There's no doubt he has made himself an easy target, the article accuses him of "breaking the unspoken rules on what can and can't be said." This actually made me laugh heavily under the weight of its irony. There is a slight chance he might have said what a lot of people (obviously) wanted to hear.

The hard cheese of the Left becomes more stale every day.

There is nothing in it that hasn't been trumpeted (sic) before: nothing learned from it.

The piece is, in large part, about the history of the term "political correct" - its derivation and the evolution of the meaning which has become attached to it. You could argue that there is nothing new there - you could equally say that about almost all information.

The simple fact however is that most people will not otherwise be aware of where the term comes from.

Archived