Manx Roll Of Honour

Lonan3

Sixteen names have so far been submitted for possible inclusion in what will be known as the 'Tynwald Honour' which will entitle them to put the letters 'TH' after their names - most of them from the past such as Illiam Dhone, Sir William Hilary, Capt John Quilliam etc. The committee considering it have said that recipients do not have to be Manx-born, but should have spent significant time here, must have made an outstanding contribution to Island life and shown selfless commitment.

So-oooo....

Does anyone have any suggestions about who might deserve to be nominated? Some sporting heroes, perhaps? Or maybe there ought to be an alternative list of those who should be nominated for 'TD,' or Tynwald Dishonour' (remembering the laws of libel etc of course!)

Well, Frank Kermode is one of the century's most prominant academic literary critics/theorists and was Manx born. I think that deserves at least as much a chance as some of the other names on that list. Fair enough, he's hardly a 'national hero', instead he's a manx person of international reknown amongst academic and literary circles, and considered one of the top of his field.

Frank Kermode - seconded!

And how about Nigel Kneale, creator of the Quatermas series as well as many exellent short stories and movie screenplays?

(Still no nominations for Tynwald Dishonour?)

Frank Kermode - seconded!

And how about Nigel Kneale, creator of the Quatermas series as well as many exellent short stories and movie screenplays?

(Still no nominations for Tynwald Dishonour?)

Or his son (I think) Matthew. Author.

Hall Caine must be a shoo in, lets hope that TE Brown doesn't ride in on his coattails.

I would like to nominate those builder chaps William Kelly and Colin Moore of GC Construction.

For standing up for their rights even though it meant going head to head with the island "Establishment" in the form of the politician who was on the very top of the heap at the time. Inspirational stuff. Well done.

I would like to nominate those builder chaps William Kelly and Colin Moore of GC Construction.

For standing up for their rights even though it meant going head to head with the island "Establishment" in the form of the politician who was on the very top of the heap at the time. Inspirational stuff. Well done.

Seconded.

Archibald Knox..as it says on his headstone in Braddan churchyard " a humble servant of God in the ministry of the beautiful"

Archived