Manx Roll Of Honour

Lonan3

And just to repeat the criteria:

must have made an outstanding contribution to Island life and shown selfless commitment.

I thought I did that by leaving and never coming back....

I was going to nominate a politician but now I'm wondering if they qualify?

Uncle Norm?(second cousin 3 times removed.....) indeed sir, I'll second that! How about Laurence Kermode? he is 90 now and has been an entertainer all his aldult life (being the Laurie in Mike, Laurie and Al - The best Folk group in the Islands history - Ever), was a Scout Master (1st Douglas, I think) aside from that he is an all round nice man!

My joke nomination is - Corkill the chemist. For all he has taken from the Isle of Man.

Henry Bloom Noble.

He may not have been born here but I think he did more than enough to qualify. I nearly cried once when I read about his donations for the hospitals and Children's Home, but then I remembered how hard I am and stopped.

There is an historical document available online, "manx worthies", worth a skeet and possibly a suitable modern title.

There is a new book coming out at some point, supposed to be the sucessor to the original work by Moore. However I haven't as yet seen it, but have been to a lecture 2 years ago which mentioned some of the potential inclusions.

There's an awful lot of unrecognised people both dead + living on the IOM. Think we could do with a few more plaques outside peoples houses to remind us of them. BTW what happened to the Elanor Brennan plaque in Wesley Terrace. Dissappeared a few years back, does anyone know why or where to?

I think there should be a parallel Manxforums award to the most worthy person who informs all of us of information that we don't really need to know and who is extremely self thinking and all that and is generally ok but a little bit too ubiquitous.

Archived