What would happen if all passports were banned tomorrow?

ScotsAlan

If all passports were banned tomorrow? So the EU goes "Fuck it, Britain can fuck right off, get out Brits, your passports are all banned". It'd probably start a war between nations.

On the Isle of Man it wouldn't affect us much, we haven't got a leg to stand on.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all passports were banned tomorrow? So the EU goes "Fuck it, Britain can fuck right off, get out Brits, your passports are all banned". It'd probably start a war between nations.

On the Isle of Man it wouldn't affect us much, we haven't got a leg to stand on.

We've got 3.

My passport expired years ago. Have no plans on renewing it, leaving the island and getting stabbed or blown up. If I feel adventurous, I'll trek down to Port Erin for an ice cream.

I suspect the chances of you being knocked over by a bus on the Island are higher than being stabbed or blown up whilst away from it. The Isle of Man is a beautiful place but so is the rest of the World, get out and see whilst you're still young.

We'll have to get rid of religion first.

Well that won't happen. The more you try to eradicate it, the more people will cling to it. Crazy I know, but people are quite attached to their religion as it's the only thing that protects them from having to confront their own mortality. A great pity that people spend the only life they can be sure of preparing for an eternity that they can't be sure of.

Passports are a modern requirement. People travelled all over the world without ever needing a passport. Until WW1.

Not a meaningful comparison with the situation today. Most people never left their own town or village.

How do you you imagine that North America filled up so quickly? People travelled all over the world. And not only in search of somewhere better to live. People were constantly travelling - these islands were built on travel and trade. Even / especially here on the island - people went from here all over the world. And back. Travelling isn't some modern affectation.

Well that won't happen. The more you try to eradicate it, the more people will cling to it. Crazy I know, but people are quite attached to their religion as it's the only thing that protects them from having to confront their own mortality. A great pity that people spend the only life they can be sure of preparing for an eternity that they can't be sure of.

You can't be sure of that. People have stopped believing in the Greek gods, the Pagan gods, and 5,000 others. Islam and Christianity have infected a larger number of people, and will no doubt take longer to die out, but it'll happen eventually. I have faith in this.

Passports are a modern requirement. People travelled all over the world without ever needing a passport. Until WW1.

Not a meaningful comparison with the situation today. Most people never left their own town or village.

How do you you imagine that North America filled up so quickly? People travelled all over the world. And not only in search of somewhere better to live. People were constantly travelling - these islands were built on travel and trade. Even / especially here on the island - people went from here all over the world. And back. Travelling isn't some modern affectation.

I don't disagree. Nothing you have written contradicts my post. People travelled before the 20th century, but most never left their own town or village. International travel per se is not a modern affectation or we would never have had an empire, but comfortable "on a whim" travel for pleasure by the masses certainly is. Also, the population was miniscule by comparison to today so we are talking about a much smaller percentage of a much smaller number. Travel without documentation would not be desirable today either for states or individuals.

You can't be sure of that. People have stopped believing in the Greek gods, the Pagan gods, and 5,000 others. Islam and Christianity have infected a larger number of people, and will no doubt take longer to die out, but it'll happen eventually. I have faith in this.

Is that your religion then?

I hope you are right but I fear you are not. Just like the people who think that one day we will all live in peace and stop killing each other. It's the nature of the beast. The entire universe is in a constant state of violent tumult. We animals are a part of that and no less prone to destruction by nature or at out own hand. For all kinds of reasons we cannot shake it. We have to live with it and make the best of it.

Archived