Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

The Isle of Man saw 5,400 visitors on 17 cruise ships last year, generating £3 a head in harbour dues

any on island spend is guesswork, most spend nothing

Most don't spend " nothing ".

When was the last time you went anywhere on holiday, went into a town or area for a day, and spent nothing?

That is fucking nonsense I'm afraid.

BTW - I'm not saying a Terminal is a good idea or viable. But please, let's dispense with this total bollocks that passengers don't spend any money. They're on holiday FFS on a cruise going ashore.

The Isle of Man saw 5,400 visitors on 17 cruise ships last year, generating £3 a head in harbour dues

Most don't spend " nothing ".

When was the last time you went anywhere on holiday, went into a town or area for a day, and spent nothing?

That is fucking nonsense I'm afraid.

BTW - I'm not saying a Terminal is a good idea or viable. But please, let's dispense with this total bollocks that passengers don't spend any money. They're on holiday FFS on a cruise going ashore.

They don't. If they spend £20 you're lucky. There is literally nothing to spend any money on.

Edited by hboy

Ok actual quantifiable fact's 16k harbour dues and accepting hboy's tenner a head spend on island making a total of 70 grand for the year!

So how does any sane person square that with Mr Ugland's statement that "potentially" (I love that word!) 60000 passengers per year spending 60 quid each " could" add 36million a year to the Manx economy!

By the way the 2010 TT brought 19 million into the Manx economy in the fortnight according to IOM Govs figures, yet people complain that it's loss making!!

So setting aside the fact that the proposed location looks to have been chosen purely for the fact that the water is deep enough and no account taken of tidal conditions and added to the lack of any credible business case being put forward you have to say that this saga äppears" to have the "potential to exceed the Bendybus and Choo Choo fiascos fiasco by a very long margin !!

F*cking great entertainment though!!

• Like 3

By the way the 2010 TT brought 19 million into the Manx economy in the fortnight according to IOM Govs figures, yet people complain that it's loss making!!

That's worth re quoting.

The whole business case is total bullshit.

• Like 1

Ok actual quantifiable fact's 16k harbour dues and accepting hboy's tenner a head spend on island making a total of 70 grand for the year!

So how does any sane person square that with Mr Ugland's statement that "potentially" (I love that word!) 60000 passengers per year spending 60 quid each " could" add 36million a year to the Manx economy!

So setting aside the fact that the proposed location looks to have been chosen purely for the fact that the water is deep enough and no account taken of tidal conditions and added to the lack of any credible business case being put forward you have to say that this saga äppears" to have the "potential to exceed the Bendybus and Choo Choo fiascos fiasco by a very long margin !!

F*cking great entertainment though!!

How do you know that IOMSA haven't taken account of the tidal conditions?

I was looking out to sea in Port Erin today, you can see how far the breakwater used to extend. Did it get built and destroyed twice? I wonder if with today's construction techniques whether it could be rebuilt strong enough to withstand the conditions down there? And if so whether they could incorporate a landing stage? It doesn't have to be in Douglas does it?

• Like 1

.........do you recall the consultants saying that the 'new' marina in Ramsey would bring in 300 coachloads a week?...........

I can find nothing of the sort. Did you just make it up? (Not trying to be mean, just actually curious if that was said, and I just can't anything about it)

Separately I did find a Ramsey Regeneration scheme from 2009 where they questioned people in town, and it really does back up the knowledge that people in Ramsey are fucking morons.

"C off gulls and pigeons."

"Lge tub to put in loose change then use money for trees when all trees planted use money for other local issues people like to contribute if they see results."

"What is the meaning of red/ blue/ grey cars?"

"Somewhere needs a large glassed in cafe so that people can see the view of the and [sic] have food and coffee. It’s always so windy in Isle of Man"

Can you imagine if there was a public consultation on a cruise ship berth?

"WHAT ABOUT TEH FISHS"

Edited by Tarne

I was looking out to sea in Port Erin today, you can see how far the breakwater used to extend. Did it get built and destroyed twice? I wonder if with today's construction techniques whether it could be rebuilt strong enough to withstand the conditions down there? And if so whether they could incorporate a landing stage? It doesn't have to be in Douglas does it?

EVERYTHING has to be in Douglas or not at all.

• Like 1

.........do you recall the consultants saying that the 'new' marina in Ramsey would bring in 300 coachloads a week?...........

I can find nothing of the sort. Did you just make it up? (Not trying to be mean, just actually curious if that was said, and I just can't anything about it)

Separately I did find a Ramsey Regeneration scheme from 2009 where they questioned people in town, and it really does back up the knowledge that people in Ramsey are fucking morons.

"C off gulls and pigeons."

"Lge tub to put in loose change then use money for trees when all trees planted use money for other local issues people like to contribute if they see results."

"What is the meaning of red/ blue/ grey cars?"

"Somewhere needs a large glassed in cafe so that people can see the view of the and [sic] have food and coffee. Its always so windy in Isle of Man"

Can you imagine if there was a public consultation on a cruise ship berth?

"WHAT ABOUT TEH FISHS"

Were those answers from the questionnaire that Wilfy Young completed....?