Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

It was Dalrymples I think!

.......no, Dean and Dybell were the developers, it was the consultants, such a well known name, I'll remember it eventually.................Notwell, just because you didn't hear it means nothing.........I believe it was reported in the paper. When I'm not acting as a full time carer I will try and look up some references, not yet awhile though...........I don't really need to prove it but it grieves me to think of Notwell trying to put another notch on his already bloated opinion of himself.......... oops, sorry, getting cross, must calm down, his opinion is no more important than mine..........that's better, good old camomile tea.lolflowers.gif

Edited by doc.fixit

Trueblood, on 27 Jan 2017 - 1:11 PM, said:

http://www.fdn-engineering.nl/floating-breakwater-in-monaco

This is the sort of thing they have in mind I believe.

The feasibility study into a floating breakwater in Douglas was carried out the same engineering company responsible for the design, building supervision and installation of the Monaco floating breakwater, as per above link.

They visited the island in September 2015 and were physically shown and sailed around the proposed site. For the study, all historic normative wind, depth, tidal and geophysical information about the proposed location was made available to them.

Their conclusions were quite clear, the project is technically feasible.

​Within our membership are former sea going captains who have advised us that there are no problems for modern cruise ships to berth, perhaps with the assistance of tugs, depending on prevailing tidal & wind conditions at the time.

The conservative estimate for passenger numbers per annum would be 60,000 (this is 50% of the numbers predicted in a report to Government by GP Wild in 2014)

(not the 6,000 misreported by IOM Newspapers) and the payback period would be 20-30 years (not the 5 years misreported by Manx Radio)

IOMSA has no hidden agenda in proposing this idea and feel it should at least be explored in more detail before dismissing out of hand the potential benefit to the Island's economy that 60,000+ visitors delivered directly to our door could bring.

It's our opinion that the Island has an offering that is very attractive for both cruise passengers (heritage & history) and operators (synergistic effects with Cruise Britain offering, short steaming times, diversity of destinations).

The business case is currently being evaluated and this will consider the financing and economics of the proposal. This may or may not stack up, but we won't know either way until it is done, which hopefully will be within next few months or so.

This is the proposed location for the terminal

The swell in this shot is around 3 metres, It can comfortably double that even in summer

Offshore gas platforms are constructed to deal with swells 4 times that, so construction is not the issue. It's the impossibility of safely bringing alongside a vessel without damaging it or the pontoon

Even if this were possible the strains on the mooring lines as the vessel rises and falls out of sync with the pontoon would be too much

Some of you must have seen the motion of the seacat alongside the berth on the Mersey, bear in mind that is several miles from open sea and with a swell of around one metre on a bad day

Would the swell not be significantly dampened by the floating breakwater?

Edited by b4mbi

The business case is currently being evaluated and this will consider the financing and economics of the proposal. This may or may not stack up, but we won't know either way until it is done, which hopefully will be within next few months or so.

something smells fishy......

It should concern people when the provider of anything, who stands to make a great deal of money is shown a site and says its technically feasible !

A parallel is the airport radar, here a supplier was asked if their system would work in our location, not surprisingly the answer was yes, of course it doesn't to the satisfaction of the authorities so in effect is a waste of space.

I plead guilty to cynicism but surely expertise should opine on a technical feasibility when extrapolated into the real world !

• Like 1

How can Guernsey generate over a hundred visiting cruise ships without a pier, is it due to more effective marketing?

We should be asking that question as they have done it without almost any capital investment. It has VAT free shopping which is a draw for a start which is the minimum I would think cruise passengers would be looking for. The weather is better too. But at the end of the day I believe there's little by way of cruise infrastructure. They berth in the bay and ferry them in via tenders which is exactly what we do at present anyway.

• Like 1

Trueblood, on 27 Jan 2017 - 1:11 PM, said:

http://www.fdn-engineering.nl/floating-breakwater-in-monaco

The feasibility study into a floating breakwater in Douglas was carried out the same engineering company responsible for the design, building supervision and installation of the Monaco floating breakwater, as per above link.

They visited the island in September 2015 and were physically shown and sailed around the proposed site. For the study, all historic normative wind, depth, tidal and geophysical information about the proposed location was made available to them.

Their conclusions were quite clear, the project is technically feasible.

​Within our membership are former sea going captains who have advised us that there are no problems for modern cruise ships to berth, perhaps with the assistance of tugs, depending on prevailing tidal & wind conditions at the time.

The conservative estimate for passenger numbers per annum would be 60,000 (this is 50% of the numbers predicted in a report to Government by GP Wild in 2014)

(not the 6,000 misreported by IOM Newspapers) and the payback period would be 20-30 years (not the 5 years misreported by Manx Radio)

IOMSA has no hidden agenda in proposing this idea and feel it should at least be explored in more detail before dismissing out of hand the potential benefit to the Island's economy that 60,000+ visitors delivered directly to our door could bring.

It's our opinion that the Island has an offering that is very attractive for both cruise passengers (heritage & history) and operators (synergistic effects with Cruise Britain offering, short steaming times, diversity of destinations).

Thanks for that IOMSA, I agree with you that the project is technically feasible and nobody's argueing that point ,it's where you want to build that is one of the main points of issue .

And your former sea captains inform you that cruise liners could be berthed ""Perhaps with the assistance of tugs depending on prevailing tide and wind conditions at the time

So have you allowed room on the model that you kindly supplied to us for the Tugs to maneuver in the space between the outside of Alexandria Pier and the inside of pontoon and outside of any cruise ship that may dock ?