Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

Obviously they are not stupid people Homarus. Maybe they had only considered Douglas, maybe Ramsey would be a better location but it's Douglas that is an eyesore (except for the Esplanade, my friend has a hotel there and it's beautiful) and needs the tourist dollar.

They would have insurance & I doubt shipping insurance people would approve something that is going to snap in a storm.

there must have been a half decent geological reason to build the pier specifically in ramsey. stick the horse trams on it. win win

Well that's the Victorians for you !!!

Brilliant engineers and scholars that they were , fancy building a pier in the most sheltered spot on the Island and working with nature ,how sensible is that ?

they also built one in douglas...........

Obviously they are not stupid people Homarus. Maybe they had only considered Douglas, maybe Ramsey would be a better location but it's Douglas that is an eyesore (except for the Esplanade, my friend has a hotel there and it's beautiful) and needs the tourist dollar.

They would have insurance & I doubt shipping insurance people would approve something that is going to snap in a storm.

Oh Jesus wept !!

there must have been a half decent geological reason to build the pier specifically in ramsey. stick the horse trams on it. win win

Well that's the Victorians for you !!!

Brilliant engineers and scholars that they were , fancy building a pier in the most sheltered spot on the Island and working with nature ,how sensible is that ?

they also built one in douglas...........

They did and and it was a solid fixed structure in a far better location than what is proposed here but I think any new structure in that location would need to be built out much further than the Old Victorian Pier to get to the depth required to take a Modern day cruise liner and again even though a Pier off Broadway would be a safer option I still don't think a floating pontoon is the best idea from a purely structural viewpoint .

Without taking into account that there has been no business case to support putting a penny of IOM GOV cash into this white elephant ,just a shedload of could's and might's .

Edited by homarus

The benefit of this industry is the spend into the local economy and eventually the Govt. Liverpool and the Orkneys are Govt/City Council owned because they are the benificiaries.

How would a private company build be paid for?

http://www.ltugland.com/

From IOM Today:

Mr Ugland said: ‘We have been talking to some investment companies to see if we can raise private equity. Government and the private sector can work together to raise the finance. But it is important the government is fully supportive.’

"fully supportive", I assume he means that the government will have to show the colour of it's money before the private equity sharks get in the water

Taking this forward the next step would be to present a business case, in order to do that there will have to be a feasibility study done on the proposed location

My guess is that this will involve some highly paid professionals and the charter of a survey vessel. After buggering about round the end of the breakwater for a few weeks the highly paid professionals and their boat will go home to compile a report

The report will emerge six months later and run to five hundred pages

It will conclude that the location is unsuitable

The cost of the report will be paid by us

The report will cost £750,000

Here's my plan for a feasibility study:

Most of the queenie boats have a sonar - GPS interface which can build up a map of the seabed. Due to the quota system plenty of them sit idle for days on end

Such a boat could map the area in a day or two

The seabed substrate was surveyed in that area when the breakwater was built, so the Harbours Division will have that on information file

Admiralty charts will give the tidal range and flow, specific flow rates could be established using a small boat with a GPS and simply drifting through the location at spring & neap tides

The Met Office at Ronaldsway will have all wind speed & direction data needed

There are several retire Master Mariners resident here, one of them could be paid to look at the data and the site and give an opinion as to the suitability of mooring a 60,000 ton vessel there

Cost: less than £20,000

• Like 3

http://www.ltugland.com/

From IOM Today:

Mr Ugland said: ‘We have been talking to some investment companies to see if we can raise private equity. Government and the private sector can work together to raise the finance. But it is important the government is fully supportive.’

"fully supportive", I assume he means that the government will have to show the colour of it's money before the private equity sharks get in the water

Taking this forward the next step would be to present a business case, in order to do that there will have to be a feasibility study done on the proposed location

My guess is that this will involve some highly paid professionals and the charter of a survey vessel. After buggering about round the end of the breakwater for a few weeks the highly paid professionals and their boat will go home to compile a report

The report will emerge six months later and run to five hundred pages

It will conclude that the location is unsuitable

The cost of the report will be paid by us

The report will cost £750,000

Here's my plan for a feasibility study:

Most of the queenie boats have a sonar - GPS interface which can build up a map of the seabed. Due to the quota system plenty of them sit idle for days on end

Such a boat could map the area in a day or two

The seabed substrate was surveyed in that area when the breakwater was built, so the Harbours Division will have that on information file

Admiralty charts will give the tidal range and flow, specific flow rates could be established using a small boat with a GPS and simply drifting through the location at spring & neap tides

The Met Office at Ronaldsway will have all wind speed & direction data needed

There are several retire Master Mariners resident here, one of them could be paid to look at the data and the site and give an opinion as to the suitability of mooring a 60,000 ton vessel there

Cost: less than £20,000

Tsk tsk. You of all people know it doesn't work like that!

They ALWAYS pay through the nose for the most expensive "consultation" available so that when it goes tits-up (in financial terms pretty much a certainty on the dire track record of the last decade or so) they can deny any blame because "We took the best advice available. It must have been the best because it was the most expensive!" etc etc.

It was ever thus....

• Like 2

Thank's for that Woody I wasn't very clear in my question though so 16k for berthing fees but no figures to hand for actual spend on Island .

What about numbers of cruise ships stopping IOM and numbers of passengers aboard/ daytripping iom?

Coud someone please clarify the "actual " Cruise ship spend into the IOM for 2015-16 please?

It was said anecotally to be about £10.

There's fuck all to buy (VAT free shopping? No)

Shopping (No)

The most they probably buy is a cup of tea and a scone.

The rest will go to MNH on entry fees to loss making tourist attractions.

Before long the cruise liner visitors will be able to buy IOM shell suits from Sports Direct. A perfect souvenir of their visit to the island and Strand Street.

I stopped off in Bermuda on a cruise a few years ago. There was about 6 cruisliners stacked up in the Quay and the gang planks led straight into a massive duty free shopping zone. I saw one guy come back on the boat with a new Rolex, an iPad, and some expensive jewelry for his wife. Those are the massive economic benefits that most places get as those retailers booked thousands of Dollars that they would have all paid tax on. Not a cuppa and a bag of crisps or a tea cake and a £5 wander round some ancient ruin. The whole proposal for the costs mentioned is total BULLSHIT.