Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

You know, the Government could do a lot worse than listen to people like Homarus and Cheeky Boy. They are both well versed in maritime things and indeed all things harbour or river based.

The Gov. spends long millions on "expert advice" while all the time ignoring the vast experience of local lads who have spent most of their lives in that area.

• Like 2

You know, the Government could do a lot worse than listen to people like Homarus and Cheeky Boy. They are both well versed in maritime things and indeed all things harbour or river based.

The Gov. spends long millions on "expert advice" while all the time ignoring the vast experience of local lads who have spent most of their lives in that area.

I'm sure it's not the first time they'd have bought in expensive consultants from SE Asia to help them out! I agree with you though. This whole plan is pie in the sky for the revenue potential on offer and I think most people can see that. Unfortunately pie in the sky schemes are a good way for civil servants to try to show the public how hard they're working and how much they are needed. It doesn't really matter if we drop the odd £500k on consultants fees to keep the whole fantasy turning over for a few more years. They'll be a few more years towards their pensions then.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
Just now, homarus said:

Oh yes indeedie!! They're trying hard on this one  (Front page examiner!)   I really think the stupid bastards are going to go for it !

THINK of the fishing possibilities though!! :lol:

Seeing as there seems to be a review about to happen/happening in tourism, looking to shed people - who is going to be looking after the tourists when they do (occasionally) pitch up on a cruise ship to spend a couple of quid on a bottle of water and a stick of rock?

9 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Seeing as there seems to be a review about to happen/happening in tourism, looking to shed people - who is going to be looking after the tourists when they do (occasionally) pitch up on a cruise ship to spend a couple of quid on a bottle of water and a stick of rock?

Well maybe Dave the Rave can take them both on a tour of sweetie shops and places selling Manx Cat badges, for a start.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Did you know that Arran attracts TWICE the number of tourists we do?

That probably has something to do with a family of four in a car with a bike rack being able to get return tickets to Arran from Ardrossan for about the same price as two adult foot passengers on the Steam Packet.

They're open ended for about 30 days as well if I remember rightly.

And that's probably to do with the subsidy the Scottish Government gives to the nationalised CalMac  ( about 60% of revenue is state aid) and that the distance and sailing time is about 1/5th and 1/4 of an IOM sailing

• Like 2