Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And that's probably to do with the subsidy the Scottish Government gives to the nationalised CalMac and that the distance and sailing time is about 1/10th of an IOM sailing

Agreed on the subsidy; personaly I think this is the model IOMG should adopt. The journey is longer than you would think; well over an hour from getting on to getting off; worth the trip though.

Plus Arran still has countryside that hasn't been ruined. Of all places, it seems to be egocentric and deluded to assume Douglas should be the site for a cruise berth, if one is to be built. The cruise ships do not want to go to Douglas. There's nothing there for tourists and it's an eyesore. They'd rather visit the island via Peel, Port Erin or Port St Mary where there is at least a nice quintness and sight of countryside still on existence. Douglas is just like any other third world town they can see in the UK. Nothing worth visiting. I imagine cruise ships that go to Arran don't berth at some hell hole like Douglas.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Agreed on the subsidy; personaly I think this is the model IOMG should adopt. The journey is longer than you would think; well over an hour from getting on to getting off; worth the trip though.

Sailing times are quoted as 30 mins or 50 mins depending on route, so I'm not far out. Loading, unloading and check in times are more as a proportion the shorter the trip.

58 minutes ago, llap said:

Plus Arran still has countryside that hasn't been ruined. Of all places, it seems to be egocentric and deluded to assume Douglas should be the site for a cruise berth, if one is to be built. The cruise ships do not want to go to Douglas. There's nothing there for tourists and it's an eyesore. They'd rather visit the island via Peel, Port Erin or Port St Mary where there is at least a nice quintness and sight of countryside still on existence. Douglas is just like any other third world town they can see in the UK. Nothing worth visiting. I imagine cruise ships that go to Arran don't berth at some hell hole like Douglas.

So whats the chance of rebuilding Port Erin breakwater and doing something wothwhile and interesting with the old Marine Biological station other than Dandara/Hartford flats (rhetorical question, but hey..)

24 minutes ago, llap said:

Peel is the obvious contender. The expensive small cruise ship the Hebridean goes to Peel. They refuse to go to Douglas and for obvious and understandable reason.

You mean Douglas being an embarrassment? I would go for Peel, the strong south-westerlies are a problem for Port Erin.

But all investment is in Douglas.

• Like 1

Which is hilarious given what an amismal failure Douglas is. It just goes to show "whatever the government touches turns to crap". I see they're currently messing around trying to "regenerate" Peel too, turning it into crap.

7 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

You mean Douglas being an embarrassment? I would go for Peel, the strong south-westerlies are a problem for Port Erin.

But all investment is in Douglas.

All investment was in Port Erin when the Breakwater was built and it caused quite a north-south divide, and not only in the House of Keys. When the breakwater was wrecked (twice?) you could hear the northern sniggers from Bradda Head.

Could the breakwater be rebuilt or is nature just too much for modern technology?

Edited by Craig King

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

That probably has something to do with a family of four in a car with a bike rack being able to get return tickets to Arran from Ardrossan for about the same price as two adult foot passengers on the Steam Packet.  

Return Ardrossan to Brodick: Car £30.20 + 2 adults @ £7.50 + 2 children @ £3.80 = £52.80

Cheapest Footloose Fare (not travelling weekends): £18.50 each way = £37.00 per adult.

It's a different world.

Edited by Roger Mexico

I fully support the requirement for a cruise ship pontoon with direct land access.  Bouncing across Douglas Bay in a ship's lifeboat does not create a good initial impression !!

However, a full cost benefit analysis is essential, based on factual information and not on "pie in the sky" projections, often used as justification for major spending in the past.

Finally, although I don't like the proposed location, it would appear to be the only site suitable on our coast that could accommodate the average 8 metre draft of these ships.

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

not deep enough. I asked a number of years ago. Only 7m of draught at the end of the Pier apparently. 

Relativly speaking, its not a big deal to increase the water depth,  it just dends how far out you have to go with the dredging