Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, Cypman said:

I fully support the requirement for a cruise ship pontoon with direct land access.  Bouncing across Douglas Bay in a ship's lifeboat does not create a good initial impression !!

However, a full cost benefit analysis is essential, based on factual information and not on "pie in the sky" projections, often used as justification for major spending in the past.

Finally, although I don't like the proposed location, it would appear to be the only site suitable on our coast that could accommodate the average 8 metre draft of these ships.

There is NO requirement for any such thing.

It is just a pie in the sky idea by a bunch of people who would love to get their hands on the £50,000,000 available.

It will not work and can not work ever to be viable. It is total bullshit.

I hope nobody in Government is stupid enough to even think about such a daft idea.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Deadly. I think it's a great idea. So, it wont work because?

Location, tides, weather, sea depth, numbers of ships likely to come, where people will go, what is here for the passengers, benefits to the island and about 157 other reasons.

FFS man think about it.

Depends on how much private sector investment is pumped into it for me. I attended the presentation earlier in the year, and was sceptical before.

The proposed pier would be made in Spain and towed up here. It has to be made 'in a piece', and the manufactures have made others. I think they made one for Monte Carlo. Apparently the tides wouldn't be an issue, although again, I would need guarantees to be happy. A 350m pier will accommodate the largest cruise ships out there. British Isles cruising is very popular, and cruise companies are always on the lookout for new places to stop.

I believe that the additional services required to service these vessels would be good for the Island. It will create jobs, and that's got to be a good thing hasn't it? We've certainly got more to offer than Orkney. 

.......just need to see more accurate figures. 

4 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Depends on how much private sector investment is pumped into it for me. I attended the presentation earlier in the year, and was sceptical before.

The proposed pier would be made in Spain and towed up here. It has to be made 'in a piece', and the manufactures have made others. I think they made one for Monte Carlo. Apparently the tides wouldn't be an issue, although again, I would need guarantees to be happy. A 350m pier will accommodate the largest cruise ships out there. British Isles cruising is very popular, and cruise companies are always on the lookout for new places to stop.

I believe that the additional services required to service these vessels would be good for the Island. It will create jobs, and that's got to be a good thing hasn't it? We've certainly got more to offer than Orkney. 

I am so impressed with your optimism. There is hope for us all.

Apart from that it is a mental plan that will never come to fruition. (I hope)

If it so good, I would hope that any funding would be from private enterprise. I hope that not one penny is given from the taxpayer.

Edited by dilligaf

32 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

The tide in Monte Carlo is about ONE FOOT. Here it is about 16 feet and more. Hm.

How will WE service these ships then ?

Edited by dilligaf

15 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

It's a crazy plan just like a lot of the crazy plans that we seem to be having in the clamour for the public sector to try to stave off reality for another few years. Even if the boats came after such a massive investment there's not really anything for people to do or spend their money on when they get here. Looking at the huge numbers being discussed if the government was half sane it would combine this with repairing / replacing / upgrading Ramsey Pier as I believe tidally it would be easier to implement out there and, funnily enough, thats been a deep water embarkation point for steamers and big vessels since 1886. I don't know why they are even thinking of doing this in Douglas even if it is probably a colossal waste of money anyway.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's a crazy plan just like a lot of the crazy plans that we seem to be having in the clamour for the public sector to try to stave off reality for another few years. Even if the boats came after such a massive investment there's not really anything for people to do or spend their money on when they get here. Looking at the huge numbers being discussed if the government was half sane it would combine this with repairing / replacing / upgrading Ramsey Pier as I believe tidally it would be easier to implement out there and, funnily enough, thats been a deep water embarkation point for steamers and big vessels since 1886. I don't know why they are even thinking of doing this in Douglas even if it is probably a colossal waste of money anyway.

Sorry, this is uninformed nonsense.

17 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Location, tides, weather, sea depth, numbers of ships likely to come, where people will go, what is here for the passengers, benefits to the island and about 157 other reasons.

FFS man think about it.

2 tugs on permanent standby at a cost of estimated 2 mill a year , !! Info from a man who knows what he's talking about .

Also it appears they've changed the design of the structure from a floating pontoon to a permanent fixed pier type thingy,possibly due to criticizm on here ?

Which in itself  tells you what a cobbled together crock of made up fairy dust that they are proposing.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Sorry, this is uninformed nonsense.

Which bit? The whole cruse strategy is a joke which is going to bin tens of millions to achieve very little. If it's such a no braIner why is no private business lining up to put a penny of their own money into it? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1