Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

11 hours ago, paswt said:

Let's hope that "Notty" will put you straight  Bazza he seems to have some expertise in this area :flowers::)

So do I . I have not done a charter for decades and was never a tug man..But I know lots of men who do tugs but they will not tell me..But I am still a member of the Baltic Exchange..

Well you've read all the nonsense, so it's time for a few facts ...

1) Cruise ship passengers do not like having to use tenders to get ashore. I have cruised a lot, and after a few very rough rides in tenders, I now avoid them like the plague.

2) Having a deep berth at Douglas would be popular with the cruise lines. The Isle of Man is an attractive destination, and many passengers would enjoy getting off the ship for a day, without being decanted into a large town.

3) The are two types of passengers. The first type have no sense of adventure. They always go on tours organised by the ship. These tours are expensive, and these passengers are famous for not spending much money whilst they are ashore. Most passengers will fall into this category.

4) the second type of passenger is independent. They will get off the ship and make their own way around the Island. These people are much more likely to spend money on the Island.

5) The proportion of passengers in one group or the other depends on the language and the currency of the destination port. The more comfortable passengers feel in a port, then the more likely they are to make their own way, and spend their money on the Island.

6) IoM Tourist people will have the opportunity to join the ship the day before it berths on the Island. They will be given the opportunity to give a lecture to passengers about the Island. On most ships that I have been on, the opportunity is also taken to distribute maps, timetables, good food guides, etc.

There is no doubt at all that this would be a success. Ships will call, and passengers will spend money.

As well as building the deep berth, the island also needs to think about how it will move the passengers about, once they are ashore. It is not unusual to see 30 or 40 coaches on the quayside waiting for a large ship to berth. We need to ask - where will these coaches come from?

The one thing that the berth will not offer, is the chance to takes cruises from the Island. We will still have to trek to Southampton for that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gee Cee said:

As well as building the deep berth, the island also needs to think about how it will move the passengers about, once they are ashore. It is not unusual to see 30 or 40 coaches on the quayside waiting for a large ship to berth. We need to ask - where will these coaches come from?

I'm sure Corkills, Crennels, and Darnills could muster up one or two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gee Cee said:

Well you've read all the nonsense, so it's time for a few facts ...

1) Cruise ship passengers do not like having to use tenders to get ashore. I have cruised a lot, and after a few very rough rides in tenders, I now avoid them like the plague.

2) Having a deep berth at Douglas would be popular with the cruise lines. The Isle of Man is an attractive destination, and many passengers would enjoy getting off the ship for a day, without being decanted into a large town.

3) The are two types of passengers. The first type have no sense of adventure. They always go on tours organised by the ship. These tours are expensive, and these passengers are famous for not spending much money whilst they are ashore. Most passengers will fall into this category.

4) the second type of passenger is independent. They will get off the ship and make their own way around the Island. These people are much more likely to spend money on the Island.

5) The proportion of passengers in one group or the other depends on the language and the currency of the destination port. The more comfortable passengers feel in a port, then the more likely they are to make their own way, and spend their money on the Island.

6) IoM Tourist people will have the opportunity to join the ship the day before it berths on the Island. They will be given the opportunity to give a lecture to passengers about the Island. On most ships that I have been on, the opportunity is also taken to distribute maps, timetables, good food guides, etc.

There is no doubt at all that this would be a success. Ships will call, and passengers will spend money.

The one thing that the berth will not offer, is the chance to takes cruises from the Island. We will still have to trek to Southampton for that.

I am really coming around to the idea, the more who visit, the more the chance of attracting some of them back for a longer stay. 

The coach issue would be answered by the supply and demand scenario. Once we have a constant stream of bookings, this could be just one part of the regrowth of our tourism sector. The creation of opportunities could be very exciting if this can be made to work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I am really coming around to the idea, the more who visit, the more the chance of attracting some of them back for a longer stay. 

The coach issue would be answered by the supply and demand scenario. Once we have a constant stream of bookings, this could be just one part of the regrowth of our tourism sector. The creation of opportunities could be very exciting if this can be made to work.  

I will never get this and the fact that a member of an MHKs family seems to be one of the main drivers behind this fills me with even less confidence. The benefits seem to be largely predicated on current VAT rules around landed tourists which could well change post Brexit if the UK leaves the customs union with Europe. I would advocate caution given the external risks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Don't we have to find something to attract them in the first place ?

No point in dropping off 2000 passengers and leaving them on the quay while we work out how to entertain them.

Selling £1 Manx cat badges only goes so far.

They have to want to come here for good reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MediaStar said:

I will never get this and the fact that a member of an MHKs family seems to be one of the main drivers behind this fills me with even less confidence. The benefits seem to be largely predicated on current VAT rules around landed tourists which could well change post Brexit if the UK leaves the customs union with Europe. I would advocate caution given the external risks. 

I'm hoping that the promise of private funding is real, the risk is then not ours.

1 hour ago, Parrot said:

Don't we have to find something to attract them in the first place ?

No point in dropping off 2000 passengers and leaving them on the quay while we work out how to entertain them.

Selling £1 Manx cat badges only goes so far.

They have to want to come here for good reason.

The island has quite a lot to offer, we just can't see it sometimes. What has Orkney, Skye, Shetland or Guernsey etc got to offer? These are cruise ship destinations too/

• Like 1

Gibraltar gets 20 cruise ships a month...we get the same a season. Are there really that many cruises covering the Irish Sea?

Methinks much of this proposal is about telling people what they want to hear, with few reality checks on the build, usage and post-Brexit seascape.

I fear the government are being hypnotised over this, and taxpayers money will be pissed away...again.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Gibraltar gets 20 cruise ships a month...we get the same a season. Are there really that many cruises covering the Irish Sea?

Methinks much of this proposal is about telling people what they want to hear, with few reality checks on the build, usage and post-Brexit seascape.

I fear the government are being hypnotised over this, and taxpayers money will be pissed away...again.

Our government being hypnotised...surely this cannot happen :rolleyes: