Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, craggy_steve said:

My thoughts exactly. Huge investment, limited number of business beneficiaries. If they think they will get their ROI then they should form a consortium to put up the money,  this doesn't seem likely to be sensible use of taxpayers' funds. 

Unfortunately you have Tynpotwald and it’s idiots and the upper eschelons of the Civil Service, plus the Chief Executives, who think they have a divine right to want to get involved. There will be no show without them, each bigging things up and creating little empires. I reckon that the ultimate costs will rocket and if we (taxpayers) got involved then costs will spiral out of control. Plus think of the consultants reports already paid for. Another concern I have is that if the project is realised, our COMIN will start dick waving telling all and sundry, how successful IOM as a destination is, which will upset UK Treasury etc. Also knowing the IOMs track record on VAT, I’m sure our lot will be looking to maximise the VAT take, based upon the number of ‘supposed visitors’. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

if someone want to build a hotel they find a site and raise the funds

does a harbour facility have to be funded by government ? let private enterprise fund it if they believe their own hype

Alternatively, of course, they can get some of their own into government (a few hundred votes usually secures it) and get the rest of us to pay for it. Or anything else for that matter.

A simplistic question which should be a starting point ... can we afford it ?

Forgive me but whilst we are withdrawing services to the elderly and charging for everything we can see how to charge for, the answer to me would seem to be no !

If private enterprise are fully behind this then let them fund it, the taxpayers cannot afford another major infrastructure cock up !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I just don’t see how this can be done without an inordinately big spend. 

Take a relatively small ship like Queen Victoria. 

Then try and find somewhere with enough depth to take an 8m draught.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#13.29/54.3981/-4.4634

13 minutes ago, asitis said:

A simplistic question which should be a starting point ... can we afford it ?

Forgive me but whilst we are withdrawing services to the elderly and charging for everything we can see how to charge for, the answer to me would seem to be no !

If private enterprise are fully behind this then let them fund it, the taxpayers cannot afford another major infrastructure cock up !

Would it be cheaper in the long run just to ship out a load of Manx Cat badges and tins of Manx Knobs, to Liverpool Port Authority and hand them out to all the cruise passengers?.

That must save money and cause far less hassle. It would save fuel for the ships and be greener too. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder what DED's Deep Water Report will reveal ?  A cursory glance at Isle of Man nautical charts would indicate that the only two locations capable of coping with an eight metre draft ship and associated land access are outside Douglas Breakwater and alongside the old breakwater in Port Erin bay.  Can I claim my giant consultancy fee now ???

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Too many vested interests competing for Government infrastructure spending, then no doubt the monopoly in running it and holding the island to ransom. The politicos and Skelly can’t even come up with a definitive spend from cruise tourists - not taking Government museums, transport and facilities into account. What’s the likely spend on gifts, ice creams, cafes, bacon rolls, pasties and chips, cheese and gravy?

Who are the vested interests specifically? 

1 minute ago, Cypman said:

I wonder what DED's Deep Water Report will reveal ?  A cursory glance at Isle of Man nautical charts would indicate that the only two locations capable of coping with an eight metre draft ship and associated land access are outside Douglas Breakwater and alongside the old breakwater in Port Erin bay.  Can I claim my giant consultancy fee now ???

They just want to burn through £20m, it’s not really going to matter on whether it’s the best option or idea or what. 

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#13.29/54.3981/-4.4634

Back of fag packet:

Existing, Orkney, (Kirkwall). Plenty of natural shelter.

5a1b17a47b6bd_Orkneyblah01.thumb.jpg.e9f5c030eeaa8ab2272d3ba496f96ce4.jpg

Douglas - very exposed, design might allow shelter:

5a1b17aee36b9_blahblahDouglas01.thumb.jpg.b57f2ddd1801c8ac6256ed3083010df7.jpg

Phurt Chiarn: ditto

5a1b17b6a036d_BlahblahPortErin.thumb.jpg.60b0eb27466cab86228b5da47e8c9c95.jpg

Edited by gettafa

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There's sufficient draft outside the battery pier where there proposing.. I have the charts here and there's around 14 m . Not saying it think it's a good idea though !!! 

Edited by Numbnuts