Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

The charity shops do a roaring trade from the mostly Asian crew. They should hook up off Ramsey then.

Yup. Real top end tourism there. Maybe Stella should move all her shite up to Orkney. Maybe the yanks will buy what our longtails won't even touch.

11 hours ago, MrFunk said:

I don't think there will be many European cruise ports that we've not visited over the last 15 years and I can assure you that compared to just about all but the big city destinations (Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon etc) there is FAR more to do and see in a day on the Isle of Man than just about any of them. 

Such as what? Presumably assuming it's not pissing down as per.

In my experience if ladies want to shop for Italian style in shoes and handbags they are more likely to want to do it in Venice than Douglas.

They are also more likely to dine al fresco in the elegance of St Marks Square than "enjoy" traditional manx cuisine such as Stewed Rams Horn in the hotch-potch of so-called styles that make up the dump that is  Douglas.

It's no good having a well-stocked shop if your shop window is an un-attractive dreary grey wet run-down depressing nothing of a place.

Welcome to Douglas....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

Such as what? Presumably assuming it's not pissing down as per.

In my experience if ladies want to shop for Italian style in shoes and handbags they are more likely to want to do it in Venice than Douglas.

They are also more likely to dine al fresco in the elegance of St Marks Square than "enjoy" traditional manx cuisine such as Stewed Rams Horn in the hotch-potch of so-called styles that make up the dump that is  Douglas.

It's no good having a well-stocked shop if your shop window is an un-attractive dreary grey wet run-down depressing nothing of a place.

Welcome to Douglas....

+1:lol:

the sagrada família clearly ranks below the old bus station and the summerland site.....

14 hours ago, gettafa said:

[In Orkney] The charity shops do a roaring trade from the mostly Asian crew. 

That struck me as both revealing and sad.  But the most telling thing about it was, that to find businesses that could claim to be doing well out of the cruise liners, they ended up using a charity shop.  And some other shops said that business was actually worse on the days the liners were in because regular customers and tourists avoided the town.

• Like 1

[edit coincidental post with RM, but still relevant]

Lots of conflicting opinions floating about.

It was interesting to hear the chap from Orkney on Manx Radio (link above), when they were discussing the value to the local economy, he mentioned the crew spend in Kirkwall, and described this as  "in certain shops is absolutely and totally phenomenal".

Yep "...in certain shops is absolutely and totally phenomenal"

Wow!

The documentary on the cruise ships (linked above) described how the crews big spend was in the charity shops*.

Hmmm, ok.

I understand that the crews are paid in the region of $500 a month. That doesn't leave a lot to go wining and dining and drinking the pubs dry (few drink anyway).

In other words the guy from Orkney was talking BS. Yes, he did qualify his comment with "in certain shops", but he should have qualified his statement by saying Cander Research benifited by a £100 or whatever everytime a cruise ship hit Orkney. A good government employee knows when to tell his masters what they want to hear.

*also said how the passengers get top notch food on board and usually buy a cup of tea and a scone at most in other shops.

Edited by gettafa

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, Lost Login said:

Chris Robertshaw calling in was my favourite part of the program as he spent a few minutes stating why the Isle of Man had to basically go with a scheme. One of the invited guests made a measured response saying it should not just be a case of building a facility that would accept the biggest boats but that you need to consider what your infrastructure can cope with in terms of number of visitors at a time but what sort of guests you want. Earlier in the program they had set out that some nationalities were big spenders when coming ashore others less so and that sometimes it is not merely a case of numbers but you might want to attract smaller niche and expensive cruises.

CR presumably had not bothered to listen to the invited guests reply or did not understand the response as CR's response was to tell the invited guest that he obviously did not know anything about tourism in the IoM. Presumably CR had prepared this response in advance as it had absolutely nothing to do with what the guest had said and it was all about CR saying he is right and those who might have a different view do not understand the facts

This summed up CR to me in a nutshell and why he has was a poor minister and MHK. He just seems incapable of listening, accepting or even understanding a different view to his own. It was why the landlord bill went down. Not because it was a bad idea but it was incredibly badly drafted to make it almost unintelligible and despite virtually everybody saying this from legal draftsman down CR refused to accept that it needed amending prior to taking it to Tynwald so when it got there it predictably got shot down.  I have met his son and he appeared to have similar traits but to be fair I was driving and he was not and alcohol may have played a part in that he just basically just wanted to tell you what he thought 

His son is rumoured to be benefitting quite handsomely should this go ahead. Which may sway CR thinking on the matter. 

• Like 2

On 19/01/2017 at 1:08 PM, IOMSA said:

Go big or not at all. To build something that would not be able to cater for the biggest ships would be a waste of time, effort and money.

The above clip from the Isle of Man Shipping Association (Treasurer) is interesting (it's worth re-reading the linked post in its entirety).

There are strong indications that the option to leave things more-or-less as they are might be the best way to go.

To be honest the cost is largely irrelevant to a degree. If it costs £30m, £40m or £50m it matters little, as if we don't spend it will be wasted on other vanity projects or at the very least not spent at all and then just consumed by the voracious public sector and their pension liabilities over time. I'd just go ahead and do it and have a crack at it being a success otherwise there is a queue of people a mile long waiting to get their hands on it via pay-offs, pensions and other schemes dreamed up by hundreds or thousands of snouts in the trough.    

Even if IOMSA were to put forward a convincing costed business case and plans (Which they haven't !) you'd have  to take into account  that all the  comparisons so far used to try to convince people of the viability of this Unicorn Poo  , are with Orkney, Shetlands and Monaco"' etc" which  are all natural sheltered deep water locations with prevailing winds off the land,unlike the proposed Douglas location with it's proximity to the existing breakwater and it's possible damage from powerful side and bow thrusters from these boats with the need for tugs to be on standby 24/ 7 and all the  associated cost implications that come  with them.

It  all seems a little  like the EU stance on the  Brexit "" Negotiations""  ,in that it's a case of give us the money and we'll fill in the details later!!!:)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

did anyone mention that their new pier crossed the power interconnector cable coming ashore at Port Skillion and so couldn't dredge it any deeper for their boats ?

I watched them put that cable in whilst keeping an eye on my lobster pots, it runs right through the proposed site for the deep water berth

Dredging without moving the cable is an impossibility, moving the cable would add a massive cost to the project

http://subseaworldnews.com/2013/12/11/mattressing-protection-displaced-on-isle-of-man-uk-interconnector-power-cable/

cable.jpg

Edited by cheeky boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3