Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

45 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I don't believe it is anywhere near £44. How much did that stupid answer cost to obtain and how much more will it cost for people to lie in support of that figure.?

Actually shore tours for cruise visitors can be quite expensive.  Here's one for Orkney that is £89 per person for a full day.   Not everyone takes them of course, and those that do spend little else.  And as I said, a lot of the money is swallowed up by the cruise company as commission (they try to get people to pay in advance through them). 

But it's still not a lot compared to a normal holidaymaker.  After all most of what a tourist spends is on accommodation, evening meals and getting here.  And with a cruise passenger all those are already paid for to someone else.

• Thanks 6

• 1 month later...

Oh Dear ,just a little reminder of what can and does happen when people underestimate the power of the sea!

A 'catastrophic failure' led to Holyhead Marina destruction and it will cost millions to fix it - Daily Post.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

That cavity revealed underneath the top screed is, I'd bet, what Douglas prom is like underneath, but on a larger scale, which is why it needs rather more than just a topical dressing...

You don't have to bet nuthin'.

Just nip down to the Promenade yourself. There has been no road collapse as far as I know, despite taking one heck of a battering.

Shore Road Gansey (Bay ny Carrickey) road collapsed 15? or so years ago, outside the Shore. But Douglas Promenade has been robust. Needs keeping an eye on of course but essentially ok.

The chap on Manx Radio this morning (Andrew Jessop?) just seemed to be hand-wringing for hand-wringings sake. 

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Damage down north too. That cavity revealed underneath the top screed is, I'd bet, what Douglas prom is like underneath, but on a larger scale, which is why it needs rather more than just a topical dressing...

_20180305_122623.JPG

Am told that material from under the walkway screed has been drawn away under the wall by the tidal action leading to the collapse. The same thing happened about 4 years ago, further down toward the boat park.  Only took DOI 2 years to get their contractors round to rebuild it...

On 1/12/2018 at 7:16 PM, Non-Believer said:

So there we have it then (iomtoday). After 2 FOI requests, because they refused to answer the first one (or hadn't made a figure up in time), the spend figures for visiting cruise passengers is released. £44 each.

Not the £70+ that had previously been claimed.

I get very worried about the clearly fake business case being built around this. The only think in the back of my head that’s reigning me in is that John Whitaker saw the IOM ok on the Pinewood deal. What’s the chance that we have bought land that we will just flip at a nice profit and invest into a port elsewhere? 

It also looks like the floating pontoons might possibly have ridden over the tops of the fixed piles due to the high spring tide and very large waves.

4 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

there was a suggestion that there were a number of larger windfarm crew transfer vessels on the pontoons which may have added too much load

They aren't that big. Seems the pontoons were simply pushed up too high and out of the piles they are fixed to - 20ft waves!

Edited by GD4ELI

• 1 year later...