Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

When the hospital is in a parlous state because of underfunding, mismanagement , over managed under staffed, over the years and finds difficulty in attracting medics who even if they come seem disinclined to stay it seems scandalous to spend money on vanity projects.   Health, living accommodation, schools etc are lifelines that effect everyone and should be prioritised.   Or, just have a really crazy moment and pay off some debt such as the leccy bill.   Of course it is always easier to spend other people's money and with no accountability thrown in it is bullet proof.     No wonder people from all over the world have the impression that the Isle of Man and all that live here are minted.   I only wish.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 8/10/2019 at 2:32 PM, ISS said:

Would it not be possible to provide a cruise berth at Ramsey by upgrading Queen's Pier and providing a new berthing head.

Restore the tramway with a modern multiple unit railcar to shuttle people to the promenade.  

Just a thought as it would mean some serious cash could be put into the pier and it could once again fulfil its original purpose. 

Not deep enough. Only 7 m of draught at the end of it

The latest proposals have been dreamt up by a firm of local architects, probably off their own back, without anyone commissioning them. Can't see it would have taken very long to draw those proposals up.

To my knowledge (and from their website)  they are a well established local firm, with no experience what-so-ever in berth/port design.

It's their own admission that the primary goal/driver of this design was to provide more parking space! (and whether that is necessary is debatable) 

I am quite surprised (as probably were the DoI) at these proposals, as there appears to have been no consideration or consultation with anyone having a marine background as they would have immediately pointed out that berths are supposed to provide shelter/calmer waters - this completely exposed berth doesn't in any way and as drawn is totally unviable.

All the proposal is doing is creating more noise about cruise when an expanded port including a deep water berth should be the focus, to ensure the Island has resilience for its lifeline services, and provide opportunities to explore multiple different revenue streams.

3 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

To my knowledge (and from their website)  they are a well established local firm, with no experience what-so-ever in berth/port design.

The firm is well established although Mssrs Ellis and Brown no longer with us, others who would have been involved with the various projects over the years have left or retired.

This outfit have made themselves look twats by going public with this. It’s nonsense. I now know  where not to go for sensible architectural services. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

This outfit have made themselves look twats by going public with this. It’s nonsense. I now know  where not to go for sensible architectural services. 

My thoughts echoed. Must be using the any publicity is good publicity marketing approach, but when this undermines your credibility???

• Like 2

5% p.a. interest on £50million would be £2.5m p.a.

25,000 visitors coming ashore spending £100 each to generate that sum per year on a tt week spend methodology.

The numbers alone dont seem to stack but i accept there's an infrastructure / future proofing issue in the longer term. GB cruises might be best market because of possibilty of follow up visit if one day stop is a shop window. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Oh shit, it turns out these guys are serious about it. Hahahahaha! :D

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cruise-terminal-plans-to-solve-douglas-parking-problem/

• Haha 1