Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

The politicians love to flaunt themselves on these cruise liners as they bob about in the bay. I wonder what say when people ask "what is that patch emanating from the Bay?"

The whole “business” case around the cruse terminal is absolute bullshit. I’ve never heard to much bullshit in my whole life being talked by so many accomplished bullshitters.  Saw some comments in another thread which suggest it smacks of desperation and I’d say that’s close to the mark. Our tourist industry is in the toilet and has been for so long that they can’t even take credit for anything any more as the numbers are just bollocks and still going down so best invest tens of millions of pounds in this load of old shite just so we can employ more civil servants in MNH to collect £2 entry fees on sites that lose money from more cruise passengers. It’s pretty much communist business logic similar to keeping workers in employment on state farms at all costs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So what can the man in the street do to stop these idiots passing this disaster and spending money that is needed in health services and education ?

Can we all protest somehow or all agree to just not vote at all in the next election?

We have to do something , as obviously they are out of control and the so called upper house are still asleep.

one upper house member is actually asking about what we are doing about artificial intelligence. They don’t have real intelligence, let alone artificial 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s pretty much communist business logic similar to keeping workers in employment on state farms at all costs. 

I'd say it's in similar vein to the news today that they've given Dandara the go ahead for 280+ houses and the bypass in Ballasalla. 190 jobs to be created is the claim, plus those in supply.

No.  190 plus others on the dole if it doesn't go ahead. That's what it's about, the construction industry is the only thing keeping the private economy afloat over here at the moment, I'd say. Completely state sponsored and encouraged with no regard as to what the fallout will be to the housing market in the future.

Whoever's got the land that Govt will have to buy (announced) to facilitate the bypass access roundabout/junction is going to be quids in though. Name your price.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The whole “business” case around the cruse terminal is absolute bullshit. I’ve never heard to much bullshit in my whole life being talked by so many accomplished bullshitters.  Saw some comments in another thread which suggest it smacks of desperation and I’d say that’s close to the mark. Our tourist industry is in the toilet and has been for so long that they can’t even take credit for anything any more as the numbers are just bollocks and still going down so best invest tens of millions of pounds in this load of old shite just so we can employ more civil servants in MNH to collect £2 entry fees on sites that lose money from more cruise passengers. It’s pretty much communist business logic similar to keeping workers in employment on state farms at all costs. 

Just the same as the airport was .... Common Sense isn't at all common !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

£500k seems a fair investment for Belfast. But then they have so much more to offer visitors than the Isle of Man does. They have actual culture rather than a few stuffy museums, rickety old trams and some tourist tat.

Sadly you are correct. Was in Liverpool a few days ago and there was a huge cruise ship on the dock. I just thought to myself, what have we got to offer that would compare to Liverpool or Belfast ? The answer came back...………………….nothing. 

I love the place of my birth, but as wonderful as my island is, there is nothing here for cruise passengers. That is it...……..Nothing.

We can not spend one single pound trying to attract people when we have nothing to offer.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, asitis said:

Just the same as the airport was .... Common Sense isn't at all common

At least the Airport allows us to escape from the sheer madness of it all on the rare occasions we can afford to! 

The Cruise Ship Terminal is just a massive folly that will severe nobody apart from a couple of ships once or twice a year. The rest would have been able to dock here anyway. 

7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Sadly you are correct. Was in Liverpool a few days ago and there was a huge cruise ship on the dock. I just thought to myself, what have we got to offer that would compare to Liverpool or Belfast ? The answer came back...………………….nothing. 

I love the place of my birth, but as wonderful as my island is, there is nothing here for cruise passengers. That is it...……..Nothing.

We can not spend one single pound trying to attract people when we have nothing to offer.

Just a thought Dilli...if there’s nothing to offer the cruise passengers, why are the number of ship/passenger visits increasing? Presumably, if the visit is a failure because of a lack of things to see and do, the passengers would feed that back to the cruise company who would remove the Island from their itinerary for the future. (Unless of course that is happening and we’ll see the number of visits tail off as a consequence).

Also, I read recently that cruise visits to Orkney and Shetland are booming. What is the attraction of those places? Could we mirror that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Have you got "nothing" between your ears?!  

I'm sorry i have to take issue with that, and that attitude.

The island has loads to offer and what it has to offer is not better or worse than Liverpool or Belfast, just different!!

Medieval castles

Victorian transport network

Stunning glens and walks

Viking heritage

Coastal sports/beach's

Motorsport heritage

All in a relatively small area and achievable in a day trip, perfect for the cruise passenger. What does a cruise passenger want? To see different places, not just big cities!

How does Orkney get 100,000+ visitors p.a. with its tourist offering? Because it has the infrastructure.

We need better harbour infrastructure. 

• Like 1

Is it that the number of ship visits are increasing because of Brits staying UK location for their hols? So they might be coming here doing the UK waters rounds anyway? Do the numbers of ship visits and actual passenger visits correlate in any way too?

4 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

The island has loads to offer and what it has to offer is not better or worse than Liverpool or Belfast, just different!!

Medieval castles

Stunning glens and walks

Viking heritage

Coastal sports/beach's

Motorsport heritage

I love that people act like they truly believe the Island has a lot to offer. It's great that people are proud of where they live. But really the Island has little to offer that can't be found elsewhere.

Glens and walks? You can do them anywhere. Viking and motorsport heritage? Weak, there's a few stuffy old museums and plaques on the top of some random hills. 

The Victorian transport you can find in North Wales. 

Orkney already had a deepwater berth from servicing the oil and gas industry. Something that's worth millions to their economy. There's less than no chance that the investment in a new berth will wash its face financially... if you were talking about building a new berth that would be used 3 or 4 times a day by the ferry for 364 days of the year then fair enough. But this thing will be used maybe 10 times a year at best. It's bonkers. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I think you will find that each visitor has his/her own idea of what they want. The Island has a lot to offer (and I'm not even Manx)

1 hour ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

if you were talking about building a new berth that would be used 3 or 4 times a day by the ferry for 364 days of the year then fair enough. 

Almost this. A redesigned deep water port, providing strategic resilience for the Island's lifeline ferry services plus other commercial maritime opportunities, not just cruise.

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Just a thought Dilli...if there’s nothing to offer the cruise passengers, why are the number of ship/passenger visits increasing? Presumably, if the visit is a failure because of a lack of things to see and do, the passengers would feed that back to the cruise company who would remove the Island from their itinerary for the future. (Unless of course that is happening and we’ll see the number of visits tail off as a consequence).

Also, I read recently that cruise visits to Orkney and Shetland are booming. What is the attraction of those places? Could we mirror that?

they don't charge for moorings.......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Have you got "nothing" between your ears?!  

I'm sorry i have to take issue with that, and that attitude.

Medieval castles

Stunning glens and walks

Viking heritage

Coastal sports/beach's

Motorsport heritage

All in a relatively small area and achievable in a day trip, perfect for the cruise passenger. What does a cruise passenger want? To see different places, not just big cities!

How does Orkney get 100,000+ visitors p.a. with its tourist offering? Because it has the infrastructure.

We need better harbour infrastructure. 

We have lots to offer holiday makers but I still think very little for the flying visit a cruise bod would make

• Like 1