Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Dr A also mentioned the amount of money the shops and restaurants will hopefully make f rom the cruise passengers .   Now they may buy an odd cup of tea but I cannot see them giving the restaurants much trade with all the free grub on board and drink.   My friend cruises and he cannot believe the offers atm free drink and a load of vouchers to spend in the shops on board, the cruise companies are desperate to build up business again so I cannot see the shops doing much trade either.    Good luck if they get the money he mentioned from them but it does not warrant any expenditure at all.    It is really time that our politicians had their pockets stitched up.

Well we cruise a lot & if you’re ashore for a full day you will find lots do buy food ashore, you’re unlikely to starve all day or bring food from ship unless you’re a complete cheapskate!! We’ve bought lunch in some of most expensive places like Copenhagen, Oslo etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

What type of fuel do  cruise ships use, and how much of it? What is the mpg per passenger of a cruise ship compared to a jet aircraft? How does this fit in with the IoM gov.'s Net Zero Plan?

Dr A is giing to cycle into Keys to offset. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

What type of fuel do  cruise ships use, and how much of it? What is the mpg per passenger of a cruise ship compared to a jet aircraft? How does this fit in with the IoM gov.'s Net Zero Plan?

If clever ship-building people could get them to run on bullshit they could refuel at Govt Offices...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cypman said:

I wonder if the 16,000 number is the actual number of passenger booked to come ashore at Douglas or the maximum passenger capacity on all the ships arriving here ?

It will be the maximum capacity, not the number on board even assuming that they all want to land.  But I can't see how they even get to 16,000.  If you look at this list I found, there are numbers for 8 of the 9 ships listed and Wiki gives the Amera as 835, but that only only gives a total of 6399.

image.png.bc10a19a3389ceb7341d52b5408a27dc.png

I suppose you could add in the crews as well (Orkney found most of the money spent was by the crew in charity shops) but even then you're pushed to get another 10,000.

Allinson has got to stop just repeating what he's told by the bullshit merchants.

Edited to add:  Another list gives one additional arrival (9 August, 1338 max occupancy), but otherwise tallies.  Still a long way from the total.  And all so easily checked as false.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Cypman said:

I wonder if the 16,000 number is the actual number of passenger booked to come ashore at Douglas or the maximum passenger capacity on all the ships arriving here ?

How much difference will an extra < 16,000 shopping/spending trips make to businesses here?

What is an estimate of the total food/retail business gross income over a period of a year? Is Allinson's estimate of an extra £0.5 million expenditure significant?

The PR says 40 visits. The same ships often visit more than once.

Better than nothing I suppose but cruise people are the equivalent of the Coach tour brigade, Tight wads! Pig out on the boat and save their appetite to do so again when back on board!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Better than nothing I suppose but cruise people are the equivalent of the Coach tour brigade, Tight wads! Pig out on the boat and save their appetite to do so again when back on board!!!

I doubt they will even open their wallets for a Davisons ice cream in Peel - spend in the local economy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The cruise ships listed include some of the top luxury lines eg Oceania, Seven seas , Azamara & the people on these ships are definitely not the coach tour brigade & will be very well off !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

The cruise ships listed include some of the top luxury lines eg Oceania, Seven seas , Azamara & the people on these ships are definitely not the coach tour brigade & will be very well off !

....... and will wonder WTF have they brought us here for ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Perhaps a trip to Athol Street would be more appropriate than the House of Manannan. 

• Haha 1

I have found that the well off people are usually the stingiest, probably why they are well off 🤣 .   I do not doubt that cruise ships do add to the economy but when it gets exaggerated, probably to warrant spending millions on a deep sea berth, it does not help the cause the public are not as gullible as some politicians think we have seen it all before and even got T shirts to prove it.   The tours are organised to leave after breakfast and they return well before Dinner or even before afternoon tea so food is rarely bought, anyway the restaurants will be full of the 50,000 visitors so they probably would not get a booking 😂.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

probably to warrant spending millions on a deep sea berth, it does not help the cause the public are not as gullible as some politicians think

This is the worrying bit, if a tin shed in Liverpool costs 100 million and we seem happy at that , how much will a deepwater berth cost and remove from frontline services. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, asitis said:

This is the worrying bit, if a tin shed in Liverpool costs 100 million and we seem happy at that , how much will a deepwater berth cost and remove from frontline services. 

Could easily trump £100m as our Government will want to interfere, and all the experts will be involved. If it involves Allinson and Mr TT it’s bound to go pear shaped. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Two-lane said:

What is the mpg per passenger of a cruise ship compared to a jet aircraft?

Well, no-one else wants to answer the question so I will have to do it myself.

Less than 15 mpg per passenger for a cruise ship, compared to about 100 mpg per passenger for a jet aircraft.

If Extinction Rebellion are willing to blockade airports in England, no doubt XR (Douglas branch) will be doing the same when the gas-guzzling cruise ships pull in.

[I wonder if the cruise passengers are going to get hit with a fuel surcharge too]