Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

Like I have said before, there is little point in building a state of the art facility for the Cruise Ships if there is next to feck all for the passengers to do when they get here!

Tourism is what it is. Its never ever, ever, ever going to generate the revenue DED keeps harping on about, and they need to get over themselves and move on!

As opposed to all the things to do in the Orkney Islands (pop. 22,000) , who have confirmed bookings of 145 cruise ship visits this year, bringing 120,000 tourists... and have had to turn away business as they don't have the berth available and have pretty much 2018 booked out as well...

I have to declare an interest here in the deep water berth project, and will elaborate later as it seems there are a few misconceptions about the proposal that have been misreported.

• Like 2

It's all a mindset carry on from the days when we had untold wealth to take on and fulfil these ideas £170M for IRIS, incinerator etc etc. Reality hasn't hit home in some quarters.

• Like 2

Like I have said before, there is little point in building a state of the art facility for the Cruise Ships if there is next to feck all for the passengers to do when they get here!

Tourism is what it is. Its never ever, ever, ever going to generate the revenue DED keeps harping on about, and they need to get over themselves and move on!

As opposed to all the things to do in the Orkney Islands (pop. 22,000) , who have confirmed bookings of 145 cruise ship visits this year, bringing 120,000 tourists... and have had to turn away business as they don't have the berth available and have pretty much 2018 booked out as

I have to declare an interest here in the deep water berth project, and will elaborate later as it seems there are a few misconceptions about the proposal that have been misreported.

I find it hard to believe that an average of nearly 1000 visitors will arrive on each and every cruise ship.

Edited by Cypman

As opposed to all the things to do in the Orkney Islands (pop. 22,000) , who have confirmed bookings of 145 cruise ship visits this year, bringing 120,000 tourists... and have had to turn away business as they don't have the berth available and have pretty much 2018 booked out as well...

Are you a consultant trying to sell this idea to the government and make a few quid out of it on the back of a heavily weighted study?

I think we are selling the island short by saying that there is nothing to do while cruise ship passengers are ashore. Trips around the island visiting the various attractions which we have would be arranged, that is all they would expect. Perhaps Douglas can be shamed into tidying its act up?

It could be used as a driver for further private investment in attractions and amenities when it is proved that we have the regular business to support it. We won't all benefit directly from this at first but it can help the island to develop a tourism economy and the scheme shouldn't be looked at in isolation.

I do doubt that government could recoup a £50m investment in five years and would have hoped that we could create a berth for a lot less. We don't need another Rolls Royce solution when a Skoda would do nicely.

The more I think about this I get a little more positive about it.

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1

I think we are selling the island short by saying that there is nothing to do while cruise ship passengers are ashore. Trips around the island visiting the various attractions which we have would be arranged, that is all they would expect. Perhaps Douglas can be shamed into tidying its act up?

It could be used as a driver for further private investment in attractions and amenities when it is proved that we have the regular business to support it. We won't all benefit directly from this at first but it can help the island to develop a tourism economy and the scheme shouldn't be looked at in isolation.

I do doubt that government could recoup a £50m investment in five years and would have hoped that we could create a berth for a lot less. We don't need another Rolls Royce solution when a Skoda would do nicely.

On the face of it it's worthy of further investigation. However when you look at the numbers being talked about it requiring, it makes even the ardent optimist sceptical.

• Like 1

If passengers on the cruise liners currently calling at Douglas didn't like it then the cruise ships would stop calling, so there's clearly demand. I recall reading last year that IOM had added another 5 cruise companies to the list of those who already have Douglas on their 2017 itinerary. And don't forget the cruise companies pay to use the berths, so there is payback.

• Like 1

There are some interesting statistics here: http://www.cruising.org/about-the-industry/research

When you look at the data it's clear that we are nautical miles adrift from the action; growth has been exceptional. Can't think of another sector that has turned in numbers like that (excepting IT perhaps) over the last 10 years.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1

People on cruises are generally old people, and they will go anywhere. The Isle of Man is nice for them as everyone speaks english. I don't think it's a bad idea to get more cruise ships in, but a cost of £50 million and recouped over 5 years is clearly ludicrous based on the Orkney Isles getting a fraction of that with masses of cruise ships

• Like 2

People on cruises are generally old people, and they will go anywhere. The Isle of Man is nice for them as everyone speaks english. I don't think it's a bad idea to get more cruise ships in, but a cost of £50 million and recouped over 5 years is clearly ludicrous based on the Orkney Isles getting a fraction of that with masses of cruise ships

Why is £50 million being quoted?? Where has that come from? The only thing I can find relating to £50 million was a suggestion by someone on here advocating it should be financed out of the Enterprise Fund, which is crackers.

A lot of old people will not transfer from vessel to tender for trips as it's perceived to be dangerous , hence the need for a berth.

On the face of it it's worthy of further investigation. However when you look at the numbers being talked about it requiring, it makes even the ardent optimist sceptical.

5 years payback on £50m investment is clearly nonsense, and I think has been mis-reported by MR and papers as they got the wrong end of the stick.

Max Power absolutely right in that it can't be looked at in isolation as it would act as a catalyst for many other opportunities across a number of different sectors.

I apologise in advance for the bloat that will follow, but hopefully it will clarify with some facts...

Why is £50 million being quoted?? Where has that come from? The only thing I can find relating to £50 million was a suggestion by someone on here advocating it should be financed out of the Enterprise Fund, which is crackers.

A lot of old people will not transfer from vessel to tender for trips as it's perceived to be dangerous , hence the need for a berth.

See the link in the opening post

They can depart the cruise ship straight onto a horse tram if we can extend it into the harbour area, however 1000 passengers will overwhelm poor Jenny who only works at one speed.

A signposted walk to the steam engine down through the quay would be a nice stroll, maybe assist in the regeneration of the quay as well as steering them clear of the embarrassment that is Strand Street.

Can we not hire in a massive sun lamp as the typical manx weather isn't too inviting for 3/4 of the year?

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 2