So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

2 minutes ago, Rog said:

So?  They are still restricted by HMG in this matter.

So? It will still run and run.

By the way Roger, I seem to recall you banging the drum that "Democracy must prevail" or some such bollox over a recent referendum held in the UK. With the SNP winning 48 out of Scotlands 59 seats you're not becoming a hypocrite are you?

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So? It will still run and run.

By the way Roger, I seem to recall you banging the drum that "Democracy must prevail" or some such bollox over a recent referendum held in the UK. With the SNP winning 48 out of Scotlands 59 seats you're not becoming a hypocrite are you?

No.  Scotland is a part of the UK, not a seperate country, and the majority of the UK population clearly indicated a demand for BREXIT.  

Personally I would be delighted to see Scotland float anyway and TOTALLY independent from England and I do mean totally.  No subsidies, no common currency to drag sterling down, a hard border and in short a sailor's goodbye (refer to Urban dictionary) to the lot of them.

1 hour ago, Rog said:

No.  Scotland is a part of the UK, not a seperate country, and the majority of the UK population clearly indicated a demand for BREXIT.  

Personally I would be delighted to see Scotland float anyway and TOTALLY independent from England and I do mean totally.  No subsidies, no common currency to drag sterling down, a hard border and in short a sailor's goodbye (refer to Urban dictionary) to the lot of 

I suspect sterling won't need Scotland to drag it down...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Sterling will be absolutely fine, as will business between the UK and its trading partners near and far. Enough of your ridiculous naysaying. 

Proof?

ETA: 

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson wants to “unleash Britain’s potential.” First the economy has to catch back up with the rest of the world.

Research by Bloomberg Economics estimates that the economic cost of Brexit has already hit 130 billion pounds ($170 billion), with a further 70 billion pounds set to be added by the end of this year. That’s based on the damage caused by the U.K. untethering from its Group of Seven peers over the past three years.
Edited by P.K.

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Proof?

ETA: 

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson wants to “unleash Britain’s potential.” First the economy has to catch back up with the rest of the world.

Research by Bloomberg Economics estimates that the economic cost of Brexit has already hit 130 billion pounds ($170 billion), with a further 70 billion pounds set to be added by the end of this year. That’s based on the damage caused by the U.K. untethering from its Group of Seven peers over the past three years.

That's because the health of the UK economy is, as with other countries, based on the GDP whereas the really indicative metric should be ballance of trade.  

3 hours ago, Rog said:

That's because the health of the UK economy is, as with other countries, based on the GDP whereas the really indicative metric should be ballance of trade.  

After I posted up the GDP figures showing that the UK absolutely thrived as a member of the EU you have to say that of course.

It seems that brexiteers have VERY selective memories. After saying how wonderful it will be outside of the EU it seems none of them can say what leverage the UK will have to get better trade deals than the ones we currently enjoy thanks to the critical mass of the EU.

Funny that....

1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

It's like watching a red faced, puffed-up, steam engine running out of steam, firebox going cold, and heading for the museum. 

I never understood why he had a dinosaur avatar - now I get it.

So try again at answering this very simple question:

10 hours ago, P.K. said:

After I posted up the GDP figures showing that the UK absolutely thrived as a member of the EU you have to say that of course.

It seems that brexiteers have VERY selective memories. After saying how wonderful it will be outside of the EU it seems none of them can say what leverage the UK will have to get better trade deals than the ones we currently enjoy thanks to the critical mass of the EU.

If you cannot answer I think it's fair to assume you have no idea. Which is why a lot of folks think brexit is totally stupid and completely unnecessary. Which is fair enough is it not?

And believe me those who think it is sheer folly just aren't going to disappear simply because you want them to....

36 minutes ago, woolley said:

Maybe not. But even the "STOOOPPP BREEEEEXXIIITTT" idiot at Westminster has finally got the message and put a sock in it.

Well you have to admire fortitude. I knew we were leaving the morning after the referendum and everything since then has been damage limitation. Still, Boris Johnson has already made it into the history books for lying to the Queen over his totally ill-judged prorogation nonsense.

Had to smile at Irish Tanaiste Simon Coveney telling Andrew Marr that Johnson can make as many laws as he likes around brexit deadlines but none of them will have any effect at all on the EU 27. I was willing him to say "Johnson was pissing up a rope" but he missed his chance. Of course Johnson has threatened to leave without a deal if necessary but that would mean "The City" would lose £2000bn of passported business into the EU every year. It was clear Coveney thinks it's an impossible ask for Johnson to meet his target but that target was just a sop to the stupid anyway...

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Of course Johnson has threatened to leave without a deal if necessary but that would mean "The City" would lose £2000bn of passported business into the EU every year.

So far so good. Now all you have to do is to understand that it works just the same the other way and continental businesses with their big positive trade balance need UK revenue too, and you will realise that nobody is going to rock the boat. Just as I have always said.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

So far so good. Now all you have to do is to understand that it works just the same the other way and continental businesses with their big positive trade balance need UK trade too, and you will realise that nobody is going to rock the boat. Just as I have always said.

If they see advantage to be had of course they'll rock the boat. Naive to think otherwise.

Unfortunately this is not a decision that can be made by the 27 Heads of State. Some will have to take it back to their governments. In other words all your bets are far from certainties Woolster. So stop pretending they are...