So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

22 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Well that's a maybe but is an answer to a question nobody asked.

Will the gov have to apply import tariffs for any foreign trade not part of a fta?  YES / NO ?

Maybe. Maybe not.  Time will tell.

4 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

So £150 billion (and counting, likely to hit £200 billion by the end of the year) in three and a half years, more than we paid into the EU over 47 years is "winning"?

Either you are that daft or you're a bargain basement troll.

You're just spouting unsupportable tripe from the Brussels leaning lobby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes.  We need our own control over who is in our country.

Progress.... I agree.  Sooooo, you cannot use the lack of ID as a stick to beat the EU with and a reason to leave. 

Having an ID system (not necessarily anything you have to carry) is essential to controlling fpu services, public funded services, who should not be here and are and so on.

Yet we leave the EU to pretend that will control the problems instead of sorting the real issue and the excesses continue. Result eh?

7 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Progress.... I agree.  Sooooo, you cannot use the lack of ID as a stick to beat the EU with and a reason to leave. 

Having an ID system (not necessarily anything you have to carry) is essential to controlling fpu services, public funded services, who should not be here and are and so on.

Yet we leave the EU to pretend that will control the problems instead of sorting the real issue and the excesses continue. Result eh?

One step at a time.  BREXIT is the first. What the fall out will be for the island is unclear -but it won't be good.

50 minutes ago, woolley said:

You're just spouting unsupportable tripe from the Brussels leaning lobby.

Like Bloomberg.

Errrr wait a minute....

It's like denigrating decent people doing good works by labeling it "virtue signalling" or whatever the nonsense term is. 

Hang a label on it like "Brussels leaning lobby" and all the uncomfortable truths just melt away....

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

Well that's a maybe but is an answer to a question nobody asked.

Will the gov have to apply import tariffs for any foreign trade not part of a fta?  YES / NO ?

The UK government will do everything they can to avoid putting tariffs on imports so everyone thinks brexit is an absolutely wonderful idea.

Unfortunately the fact remains that those we do not have a trade deal with, not necessarily an fta, can and already do apply tariffs to their imports. 

Recently the EU signed a trade deal with Mercosur. Now currently the Mercosur bloc applies tariffs on imports like machinery up to 20%, chemicals up to 18% and cars a whopping 35%. Now I grant you the way things are going the 35% on car imports is unlikely to affect the UK. However the EU will be ahead of the UK in just about every trade deal you care to mention because the UK will be pretty much starting from scratch.

Needless to say zero tariffs on UK imports and extensive tariffs on UK exports is not exactly going to do the balance of trade much good.

But hey, you'll get blue passports....

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Actually, on the subject of departing the EU, have you noticed that the majority of EU countries check your passport upon entry and exit?  Have you ever noticed that the UK does not do this?  That is one of the reasons why identifying people who overstay visa's is an issue because the UK has no sodding idea who is leaving the country. 

That rather depends on what passport you’re travelling on, which country you’re entering or leaving, whether the two countries are in Schengen, and the type of transport you are using, and whether there is information sharing going on.

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That rather depends on what passport you’re travelling on, which country you’re entering or leaving, whether the two countries are in Schengen, and the type of transport you are using, and whether there is information sharing going on.

Entering and departing France, Switzerland, Spain, Netherlands and Belgium to/from the UK by air passports are checked on entry and departure.  Same applies if transferring within an EU country. 

I accept that at road borders within Schengen there are no checks but then that was the whole purpose of schengen.

I don't know about ferry ports as I have not travelled by sea in years.

I find it interesting that the UK Government is stating that the Common Travel Area will continue to exist without barriers.  I feel this is something else that is not going to work as a route into the UK will be created through Ireland...

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Entering and departing France, Switzerland, Spain, Netherlands and Belgium to/from the UK by air passports are checked on entry and departure.  Same applies if transferring within an EU country. 

I accept that at road borders within Schengen there are no checks but then that was the whole purpose of schengen.

I don't know about ferry ports as I have not travelled by sea in years.

I find it interesting that the UK Government is stating that the Common Travel Area will continue to exist without barriers.  I feel this is something else that is not going to work as a route into the UK will be created through Ireland...

Without barriers does not mean without passports or similar identity checks.

In any case I can't see the CTA continuing much after BREXIT is in place.

29 minutes ago, Rog said:

In any case I can't see the CTA continuing much after BREXIT is in place.

The Tory Government has said it will... 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance

I surprisingly agree with you.  I can't see how the CTA can continue to exist post Brexit as there will be a need for some sort of border and checks between Ireland and the UK.  

Probably between Ireland and the Isle of Man as well...

12 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Sure, if you prove you have the money to cover the stake...

I think that you need to re-read my post old bean.

It is 'money up front' and it goes to the charity win or lose.  There are no get outs of 'covering the stake'.

£1,000, cash up front, independent holder, charity takes all whatever the outcome. I'm up for transferring the money tomorrow - are you?

I'll go for Manx Breast Cancer fund, but if you want to spit it elsewhere that's fine with me.

So a grand each up front in the morning? No refunds? No more bullshit?

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus