So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

He was right?  So why are you complaining about a continued remain movement?

I think all but the wackiest Europhiles realise that ship has sailed by now. As events unfold over the coming decades it will look like an even less desirable aim.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

By that reasoning the leave campaign should not have ever existed

Are you really this thick or do you have to try really hard?

It was precisely because the fallout from EU membership was affecting individuals in so many direct and indirect ways that resulted in the demand to leave.

14 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Or if it does not go to plan their may be a campaign to rejoin the EU.

That may happen but the chances of success are exceedingly slim.

What is rather fun is to look at the demographics now available where the referendum is concerned.  Other than Scotland where the EU was seemingly beneficial the vast majority of England voted to leave with only centres of immigrants bucking that trend and distorting the figures.

40 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Or if it does not go to plan their may be a campaign to rejoin the EU.

One cannot 'rejoin' something that you have never been a member of in the first place. Instead of trying to browbeat the UK population to do the dirty work for you - why not start a  campaign for the Isle of Man to join the EU, accept their courts and rules, and accept free movement from all 26 (soon to be 28) into and out of the Island? You keep telling those of us who have almost 50 years experience of EU membership that we have made a mistake, whilst you yourself have not opened your country to EU rules and immigration for a single day ever.

There can only be around 50,000 voters on the Island, why not do some leaflet drops and start the 'IOM for the EU Party'? You could make yourself the leader, organise a referendum, and if successful, then you would have a mandate to commence the application process. What's stopping you exactly?

42 minutes ago, Rog said:

That may happen but the chances of success are exceedingly slim.

What is rather fun is to look at the demographics now available where the referendum is concerned.  Other than Scotland where the EU was seemingly beneficial the vast majority of England voted to leave with only centres of immigrants bucking that trend and distorting the figures.

The city of Liverpool, which clearly and obviously benefited from EU investment and the awarding of the city of culture thing, voted remain. Is it a 'centre of immigrants'? Its a very friendly and welcoming city, and historically has attracted people from all over the place but it is still predominantly scouse. Your view is so consistently utterly stupid it must hurt. 

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@Manximus Aururaneus this is the international section and we are discussing the UK.  

If you want to get technical then the Isle of Man has a relationship with the EU via Protocol 3 and the UK's membership of the EU.  To date I have seen no indication of what will happen to protocol 3 when the UK leaves the EU. 

Manxman, with respect, whether it be the UK relationship with the EU, IOM relationship with the EU, or even Liverpool's relationship with the EU - it all comes under 'International' not 'Local' does it not?

Protocol 3 will by definition cease when UK EU membership ceases and will therefore soon be irrelevant.

IOM's EU relationship via proxy is soon to be cancelled - so anybody wishing to see the IOM having an EU relationship will either have to find another proxy-willing member country (Scotland?) or will have to convince the IOM electorate to vote to apply for direct membership. Seeing as no IOM voter is more than one hour's drive from you, and we have limited local press/media options - it would therefore be a relatively simple matter for you to canvas the Island's electorate in an attempt to gain support for your views.

I look forward to the results, what exactly is holding you back?

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

The city of Liverpool, which clearly and obviously benefited from EU investment and the awarding of the city of culture thing, voted remain. Is it a 'centre of immigrants'? Its a very friendly and welcoming city, and historically has attracted people from all over the place but it is still predominantly scouse. Your view is so consistently utterly stupid it must hurt. 

I wrote the vast majority. I did not mention Liverpool, a thing I try to never do, but being horribly Labour it would be in favour of remaining in the EU.

26 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Manxman, with respect, whether it be the UK relationship with the EU, IOM relationship with the EU, or even Liverpool's relationship with the EU - it all comes under 'International' not 'Local' does it not?

Protocol 3 will by definition cease when UK EU membership ceases and will therefore soon be irrelevant.

IOM's EU relationship via proxy is soon to be cancelled - so anybody wishing to see the IOM having an EU relationship will either have to find another proxy-willing member country (Scotland?) or will have to convince the IOM electorate to vote to apply for direct membership. Seeing as no IOM voter is more than one hour's drive from you, and we have limited local press/media options - it would therefore be a relatively simple matter for you to canvas the Island's electorate in an attempt to gain support for your views.

Scotland is to remain part of the UK and so will also be leaving the EU at the end of this month.  That apart anything that the Manx government would like to do MUST get approval by HMG first.

41 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

1.  As a crown dependency the Isle of Man would not be able to apply for membership (Manx independence would be required first and that would be a long and difficult process);

2.  The Isle of Man would not meet the membership criteria;

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

1.  As a crown dependency the Isle of Man would not be able to apply for membership (Manx independence would be required first and that would be a long and difficult process);

2.  The Isle of Man would not meet the membership criteria;

Correct on both counts, but that is not an excuse to try to gain advantage by riding on the back of other people by asking them to accept rules, courts, costs and immigration so that the Island gets the advantages without suffering the disadvantages. If you want it enough, you have to start fighting for it difficulties notwithstanding.

My guess is that, even if the UK allowed the IOM application, and even if the EU accepted the application, the electorate of the Island would be unwilling to accept EU tax rules, Court rulings, or free movement - but it is open to people who disagree with me to prove me wrong.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I think he’s saying that where there has been actual experience of EU immigration the people voted for remain (remembering that immigrants couldn’t vote in the referendum) and where there are lots of red-faced old people and Sun readers they voted for leave. 

4 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

My guess is that, even if the UK allowed the IOM application, and even if the EU accepted the application, the establishment of the Island and their acquaintances would be unwilling to accept EU tax rules, Court rulings...

Fixed...