So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

How are you all feeling this morning? 

The UK continues to pay EU membership fees but no longer has a voice.

The EU continues to be bound by EU regulations but no longer has a voice.

UK citizens can still use the EU Citizens channel while travelling. 

EU Citizens can still travel freely to live and work in the UK.

Last night was the start of Brexit not the end.  

Yes, of course. It's a transition. So what?

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes, of course. It's a transition. So what?

Let's keep it real.

We HAD to enact Article 50 (BREXIT) before the transition period because if we had not the European Commission would NEVER have even entered transition arrangements.

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

As a British MEP has just stated; The EU can no longer be made a scapegoat of. Let's hope that our politicians can step up to the mark and deliver what it was assured Brexit would bring.

I wouldn't be so sure. They're still blaming the financial crisis and that didn't last for 47 years.  

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

How are you all feeling this morning? 

The UK continues to pay EU membership fees but no longer has a voice.

The EU continues to be bound by EU regulations but no longer has a voice.

UK citizens can still use the EU Citizens channel while travelling. 

EU Citizens can still travel freely to live and work in the UK.

Last night was the start of Brexit not the end.  

Thank you for asking.  I have a headache...could be something to do with the glass or several I had last night.  Wait - this wouldn't have happened if we hadn't left the EU, so it must be the fault of Brexit.  Damn...

2 hours ago, quilp said:

I see the efforts to denigrate the integrity of leave voters and make them feel guilty about their optimism continues unabated. 

No,  just asking whether the celebrations last night were worth it?

The transition period is hardly taking back control. 

Will there be more celebrations on the 31st December? 

13 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

No,  just asking whether the celebrations last night were worth it?

The transition period is hardly taking back control. 

Will there be more celebrations on the 31st December? 

Well obviously many thousands of ordinary citizens decided it worth celebrating, out of relief that something at last was actually underway as much as nationalist pride. I suspect there are remainers who felt something along these lines also but too anal to show it.

The "taking back control" meme is overplayed and premature, but it was never going to be instantly effective. The concept is also part of the transition. How much control is taken back will become apparent as time passes. Who knows?

Whether more celebrations take place on December 31st remains to be seen. It'll surely be performance related. The UK can only hope that as that deadline nears, favourable trading arrangements for all have been delivered, and especially, the societal divisions created by Brexit may've healed somewhat. A grudging acceptance by wounded, ardent remainers might be a good place to start.

My hope is that the EU reforms and adapts after this and one day the UK can rejoin a better fairer Union. Without this wake up call they would have just carried on the same path. I know the UK had no choice but to leave due to poor treatment from the EU, which was showcased over the past couple of years.

19 hours ago, Manxberry said:

My hope is that the EU reforms and adapts after this and one day the UK can rejoin a better fairer Union. Without this wake up call they would have just carried on the same path. I know the UK had no choice but to leave due to poor treatment from the EU, which was showcased over the past couple of years.

But why should the UK, especially England, join ANY political bloc? Because that's what the EU has become with the aim of becoming the United States of Europe. The EU is now putting together an EU army, a very bad move indeed.