So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

6 hours ago, Rog said:

I don't want to live near a colony of people who follow a cult that is the antithesis of the modern evolved world.

What is the problem with that?

I view Judaism as an antithesis of the modern world.

As I posted previously I really don't like seeing kids being forced to dress in an overtly religious way. It's unfair on them as they are being forced to take part in a belief system that they're simply not old enough to understand. Not very modern world *is it?

6 hours ago, Rog said:

As for Norfolk - granted it's flat which means we have a "Big Sky" but dull? Boring? I find it anything but. But what has where we now live got anything to do with it?

The first time I heard about the "Big Sky" nonsense was from Germaine Greer when she moved to Stump Cross. Basically when you have no horizon if you want a vista you have to look upwards. Strange but true you can look upwards from the top of a mountain - but to get a vista you don't have to. Essentially it's bigging up that you have nothing.

Why has where you live got anything to do with it? The East Coast demographic from the Humber to the Orwell matched those who are retired to voting brexit. When the results came in it made me laugh having spent some nine years looking after the elderly and their inherent racism.

And if you don't find it dull and boring why do you spend so much time on here playing worthless, petty semantics...?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I view Judaism as an antithesis of the modern world.

As I posted previously I really don't like seeing kids being forced to dress in an overtly religious way. It's unfair on them as they are being forced to take part in a belief system that they're simply not old enough to understand. Not very modern world *is it?

The first time I heard about the "Big Sky" nonsense was from Germaine Greer when she moved to Stump Cross. Basically when you have no horizon if you want a vista you have to look upwards. Strange but true you can look upwards from the top of a mountain - but to get a vista you don't have to. Essentially it's bigging up that you have nothing.

Why has where you live got anything to do with it? The East Coast demographic from the Humber to the Orwell matched those who are retired to voting brexit. When the results came in it made me laugh having spent some nine years looking after the elderly and their inherent racism.

And if you don't find it dull and boring why do you spend so much time on here playing worthless, petty semantics...?

So on what basis do you see Judaism as the antithesis of the modern world.  I can reel off a number of reasons why I rightly see Islam as being that, but why Judaism?  What in particular? 

As for kids who are born into Hasidic families who are dressed in traditional garb, where's the beef? It's as near as dammit to a school uniform FFS.

The Big Sky?  It's a matter of aesthetic taste surely! But back to BREXIT.  The decision to escape from the profoundly undemocratic  rule of the European Commission was certainly not limited to older people.

PK, why are you so obsessed and hate filled because we are now out of Europe? Because howling at the moon which is what you and a great many more folk are doing  is worse than pointless, it's actually counter productive.  Would it not make very much more sense to stop kvetching, "get with the program",  and work towards mutual benefit for all.

BTW invert racism is still racist just as invert snobbism is still snobbism.

3 minutes ago, Rog said:

So on what basis do you see Judaism as the antithesis of the modern world.  I can reel off a number of reasons why I rightly see Islam as being that, but why Judaism?  What in particular? 

As for kids who are born into Hasidic families who are dressed in traditional garb, where's the beef? It's as near as dammit to a school uniform FFS.

Roger, your response is so appallingly flawed it says nothing good about you.

To pick up on just the simplest of points. School uniform was all about making all the children come across as equals. Race, religion, colour, creed, monied, poor, whatever none of them mattered because everyone looked the same.

Kids dressed in traditional Hasidic gard deliberately sends out an unmistakeable message!

I trust I don't have to explain that further....

Unfortunately most kids in this world are subjected to one version of religion or another. Ideological indoctrination starts early, along with the other fairy stories and certainly not exclusive to Judaism. Circumcision I cannot agree with. It's an unnecessary mutilation and why it is still considered normal in modern society is beyond me. The practice of 'metzitzah b'peh' when the Mohel, or the cutter, sucks the blood from the penis of the baby post cut, is astonishing. It is supposedly an important custom as proscribed from the Mishnah which possibly the first and oldest compendium of Rabbinical law which predated the New Testament and is much revered amongst devotees. Several babies have contracted herpes from this procedure and died. Crazy.

Crazy also is that of the circumcision of female babies and girls in Islam, as proscribed in the Fard (compulsory practices in islam) and from the Sunnah (the monologues of Mohammed written by scribes as he spoke, rather like the monologues of another madman- Hitler's 'Tischgespräche im Führerhauptquartier' or 'Table Talk.). Sometimes the child bleeds to death, or is so scarred in later life she is unable to have sex or deliver her child. And still it continues...

In christianity it's more subtle, especially Catholicism.Ricky Gervais put this very succinctly when referring to an all-seeing god as being like having another babysitter- his mother would say if she wasn't watching him god was. I had to laugh out loud at that because of my own experience growing up in a devout catholic family. It was like having an ethereal stalker, inducing a sense of paranoia from a very early age when my mother, father, teachers, nuns and priests promoted this tactic as a method of control.

It's a bit unfair to call out Hasidic garb and not include the 'uniforms' of islam. 

Edited by quilp

25 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Roger, your response is so appallingly flawed it says nothing good about you.

To pick up on just the simplest of points. School uniform was all about making all the children come across as equals. Race, religion, colour, creed, monied, poor, whatever none of them mattered because everyone looked the same.

Kids dressed in traditional Hasidic gard deliberately sends out an unmistakeable message!

I trust I don't have to explain that further....

And just what is that message?

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

Unfortunately most kids in this world are subjected to one version of religion or another. Ideological indoctrination starts early, along with the other fairy stories and certainly not exclusive to Judaism. Circumcision I cannot agree with. It's an unnecessary mutilation and why it is still considered normal in modern society is beyond me. The practice of 'metzitzah b'peh' when the Mohel, or the cutter, sucks the blood from the penis of the baby post cut, is astonishing. It is supposedly an important custom as proscribed from the Mishnah and possibly the first compendium of Rabbinical law which predated the New Testament and is much revered amongst devotees. Several babies have contracted herpes from this procedure and died. Crazy.

Crazy also is that of the circumcision of female babies and girls in Islam, as proscribed in the Fard (compulsory practices in islam) and from the Sunnah (the monologues of Mohammed written by scribes as he spoke, rather like the monologues of another madman- Hitler's 'Tischgespräche im Führerhauptquartier' or 'Table Talk.). Sometimes the child bleeds to death, or is so scarred in later life she is unable to have sex or deliver her child. And still it continues...

In christianity it's more subtle, especially Catholicism.Ricky Gervais put this very succinctly when referring to an all-seeing god as being like having another babysitter- his mother would say if she wasn't watching him god was. I had to laugh out loud at that because of my own experience growing up in a devout catholic family. It was like having an ethereal stalker, inducing a sense of paranoia from a very early age when my mother, father, teachers, nuns and priests promoted this tactic as a method of control.

It's a bit unfair to call out Hasidic garb and not include the 'uniforms' of islam. 

Funny thing is that male circumcision is proven to substantially reduce the transmission of aids.  As for 'metzitzah b'peh' that like many things is the memorialising in religious lore a thing whereby the spittle causes rapid staunching of the blood following circumcision