So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

No he didn't get brexit done. It could go on for years and years yet and probably will.

So much for the "far sighted" brexiteers who can't even see beyond 31/12/2020 ie less than 11 months.

Laughable!

No. Legally it's done. That's the main thing that you always miss.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, woolley said:

No. Legally it's done. That's the main thing that you always miss.

You mean that's the thing you always say.....

It's like Roger's "traitors in HMG" nonsense. People like Ken Clarke voted to prevent a highly damaging no-deal exit. That the zealots like Roger and the appalling Nigel Farage would prefer.

Face it, if they want it then it can't possibly be good for the country....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You mean that's the thing you always say.....

It's like Roger's "traitors in HMG" nonsense. People like Ken Clarke voted to prevent a highly damaging no-deal exit. That the zealots like Roger and the appalling Nigel Farage would prefer.

Face it, if they want it then it can't possibly be good for the country....

You are simply muddying the waters. Legally we are out of the EU, and that is what matters. There is no going back. The rest of it is a negotiation about a future relationship and trade which is subordinate in importance, and crucially is a negotiation between two entirely separate entities that is taking place post-Brexit. Whether those negotiations succeed or not, it has no bearing on Brexit which has already happened.

• Thanks 1

@P.K.Legally the UK has left the EU there is no disputing that.

What Rog is ignoring, and I know you understand, is that there is an awful lot to be sorted out during the transition period to ensure that there are not major ramifications.  Some people will be dismissive of that fact but businesses want answers sooner rather than later.   If we are getting close to the 31st December and there is no sign of a deal between the UK and EU then we will get an idea of what the future will be like.

As for Rog and his "traitors" I think this is just completely wrong.   Unless of course he means the ERG who blocked the UK leaving even earlier...

Edited by manxman1980
Post crossed with woolley so added PK to clarify who my response was too

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

There is no going back. 

I would imagine that if the UK asked to rejoin during the transition period then there would be no issue in doing so.

The probability of that happening is minuscule but it would be a fair easier direction of travel than sorting out the future arrangements.   To be clear I know there is no political will to do so and I can imagine the screams of "traitor" from the likes of Rog if it ever did happen.  

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I would imagine that if the UK asked to rejoin during the transition period then there would be no issue in doing so.

The probability of that happening is minuscule but it would be a fair easier direction of travel than sorting out the future arrangements.   To be clear I know there is no political will to do so and I can imagine the screams of "traitor" from the likes of Rog if it ever did happen.  

No issue in doing so. From the EU, you mean? I am absolutely sure you are right. They would think all of their birthdays had arrived at once! What a party there would be in Brussels. It might be an "easier direction of travel", but the easy course is not always the correct one. This would be the ultimate in clawing defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Since the referendum showed that the majority of the UK wanted to be shot of the awful European Union and yet Parliment obstructed the demands of the people I really can't think of a better description of those who obstructed what we wanted than traitors.

34 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@P.K.Legally the UK has left the EU there is no disputing that.

What Rog is ignoring, and I know you understand, is that there is an awful lot to be sorted out during the transition period to ensure that there are not major ramifications.  Some people will be dismissive of that fact but businesses want answers sooner rather than later.   If we are getting close to the 31st December and there is no sign of a deal between the UK and EU then we will get an idea of what the future will be like.

As for Rog and his "traitors" I think this is just completely wrong.   Unless of course he means the ERG who blocked the UK leaving even earlier...

I was sure we were leaving the EU the morning after the referendum.

All this nonsense about "traitors" and so forth is just a (failed) attempt to distract attention away from the fact that the divisions in Roger's "can do no wrong" tory party is the real reason it took so long to get where we are.

Just to pick up on Woolster's "Whether those negotiations succeed or not" what, exactly, is the measure of success?

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

You need a new scriptwriter.

Preferably one with a sense of humour...

This is a serious subject. The young are full of emotion and energy, but they tend to rush to judgment. They need the guidance of those with life experience and wisdom. I suggest that this is the gift they have been given by the referendum result. They will prosper.

• Haha 1