So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"That fool Cameron" errr would he be the one who gave you your totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit?

You know what? I believe it is.

Well, in that case I would have to wholeheartedly agree with you...

As to a "decent" government only today the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, was openly mocking Boris Johnson, our actual Prime Minister, for no other reason than he was talking complete and utter bollox.

Very poor show wouldn't you say....?

And then you get shite like this coming from the eu...

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/michel-barnier-brexit-trade-uk-financial-services-120109582.html

He has no idea what is coming! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"That fool Cameron" errr would he be the one who gave you your totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit?

You know what? I believe it is.

Well, in that case I would have to wholeheartedly agree with you...

As to a "decent" government only today the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, was openly mocking Boris Johnson, our actual Prime Minister, for no other reason than he was talking complete and utter bollox.

Very poor show wouldn't you say....?

No, Cameron FINALLY "permitted" the referendum, it was BoJo who gave us BREXIT.

As for  Ursula von der Leyen - who gives a stuff what she has to say?  Were OUT of the EU now.

47 minutes ago, Rog said:

No, Cameron FINALLY "permitted" the referendum, it was BoJo who gave us BREXIT.

As for  Ursula von der Leyen - who gives a stuff what she has to say?  Were OUT of the EU now.

With EVERYTHING to negotiate for...

With the likes of, errrr, Ursula von der Leyen....

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

That sort of conversation is only relevant to the dinosaurs in the i.c.e. car industry et al (like Germany).

More progressive nations (like the UK) have left all that shit behind and have moved on to bicycles, walking and other global cooling initiatives.  

Get with the program brov.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No, a trade deal is not a major issue.  In fact a no deal end to the transition period is much to be preferred.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rog said:

No, a trade deal is not a major issue.  In fact a no deal end to the transition period is much to be preferred.

Maybe in your odd world it is preferred but major business does not want that uncertainty. No deal potentially means gaining embargoed status and all the headaches that come with that. Leave the EU by all means but thinking that suddenly we don't need to do business with the EU anymore is beyond naive.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Maybe in your odd world it is preferred but major business does not want that uncertainty. No deal potentially means gaining embargoed status and all the headaches that come with that. Leave the EU by all means but thinking that suddenly we don't need to do business with the EU anymore is beyond naive.

Agreed, but do you also accept that the concept of us 'not doing business with the EU anymore' is just as naive?

• Like 1

People. Just calm down. These are merely posturings before negotiations even start. There will be shifting of positions on both sides because nobody wants to lose out and at the end everyone will still be trading with each other on similar terms. Business on both sides will see to it. No need for hysteria from those of nervous disposition. 

• Thanks 2

London (CNN Business)

The idea that Britain can leave the European Union and maintain frictionless trade with the bloc of 27 countries is officially dead.

Cabinet minister Michael Gove warned UK businesses on Monday that the government will subject goods from the European Union to border controls starting at the end of this year, acknowledging the end of frictionless trade with the country's biggest export market.

"The UK will be outside the [EU] single market and outside the customs union, so we will have to be ready for the customs procedures and regulatory checks that will inevitably follow," Gove said during a speech.

Frictionless trade, which allows goods to move between countries without facing tariffs or border checks, is a key feature of the European Union. Brexit supporters had claimed that Britain could maintain the arrangement, or something close to it, even outside the bloc

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/business/brexit-frictionless-trade/index.html

7 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

7 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Agreed, but do you also accept that the concept of us 'not doing business with the EU anymore' is just as naive?

I think we are saying the same thing? Business is a two way street, there are UK based companies that will want to continue trade with EU based companies and vice versa. I can understand those who wanted to leave the EU and think it was correct that the UK has done what the majority who voted in the referendum wanted but I cannot understand those (i.e. Rog) who seem to want isolate the UK from the rest of Europe in pretty much every respect.

12 hours ago, sir nige said:

return per £..........the lower the number the higher funder........

This is an interesting concept for measuring contributions, so I decided to do some rough calculations based on available information from:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/external/html/budgetataglance/default_en.html#united_kingdom

(amount paid in and amount paid out)

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_member_states_by_population

(populations)

UK:

Population - 66 million

Amount paid in  - 10575 million Euros

Amount paid out - 6326 million Euros

Actual contribution (amount paid in minus amount paid out) - plus 4249 million Euros

Amount per head of population (amount paid in divided by population) - plus 64 per head

France:

Population - 67 million

Amount paid in  - 16234 million Euros

Amount paid out - 13505 million Euros

Actual contribution (amount paid in minus amount paid out) - plus 2729 million Euros

Amount per head of population (amount paid in divided by population) - plus 41 per head

Germany:

Population - 83 million

Amount paid in  - 19587 million Euros

Amount paid out - 10927 million Euros

Actual contribution (amount paid in minus amount paid out) - plus 8660 million Euros

Amount per head of population (amount paid in divided by population) - plus 104 per head

Poland:

Population - 38 million

Amount paid in  - 3048 million Euros

Amount paid out - 11921 million Euros

Actual contribution (amount paid in minus amount paid out) - minus 8873 million Euros

Amount per head of population (amount paid in divided by population) - minus 234 per head

You must be coming at it from a different angle, it would be interesting if you could explain exactly how you arrive at your given figures and show where you are taking from base information from.

Setting all of the above aside, it is clear that the EU is going to have an issue now one of its biggest funding sources has left.

Edited by mojomonkey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

London (CNN Business)

The idea that Britain can leave the European Union and maintain frictionless trade with the bloc of 27 countries is officially dead.

Cabinet minister Michael Gove warned UK businesses on Monday that the government will subject goods from the European Union to border controls starting at the end of this year, acknowledging the end of frictionless trade with the country's biggest export market.

"The UK will be outside the [EU] single market and outside the customs union, so we will have to be ready for the customs procedures and regulatory checks that will inevitably follow," Gove said during a speech.

Frictionless trade, which allows goods to move between countries without facing tariffs or border checks, is a key feature of the European Union. Brexit supporters had claimed that Britain could maintain the arrangement, or something close to it, even outside the bloc

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/business/brexit-frictionless-trade/index.html

As I said, this is all positioning before negotiations even start. I did also say that there is no need for hysteria from those of nervous disposition. Then along comes PK. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, display name said:

Ah,you mean bullshit.

Sorry, given the promise of unicorns and the general lack of fact on this thread I thought it was entirely fitting.

In reality it is believed that the early Celtic settlers were from Ireland.  Manx Gaelic and Irish Gaelic are similar which would support this. 

So Mother Ireland is fitting.  Obviously over the years different cultures have influenced the island.