So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Hardly chicanery by Broon.

For years unscrupulous politicians had fucked around with interest rates prior to elections to ensure they got the votes. Especially the tories because of their already well-off supporters having large mortgages to end up with quite a pile.

It was in the Labour Manifesto and after their win he just went and did it and put an end to boom and bust cycles.

Good for him...

Boom and bust are an economy breathing. A sign that an economy is healthy and active. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

So Sajid Javid walks as Chancellor after refusing to (at least partly) relinquish control of Treasury to the unelected Dominic Cummings and advisors ( Sky News). Replacement stooge appointed.

Bojo's having a giraffe...

all spads are under the control of the pm.......always have......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Firstly, the countries in that list are fact, there is no project fear about that. Would you class any of them as particularly impressive? Secondly, and more importantly, I recognised in the very next sentence that it is still early days and stated my believe that better is still to come. I may not always agree with you woolley but I have pretty much always found you to be fair in your commenting, please don't attribute things to me that I have not said or expressed.

Notwithstanding the above, as I have previously said I find this whole project fear a poor get out excuse for things. The majority of those who voted in the referendum voted leave, that decision was correctly followed and the UK has now left. Now is the time for the UK to stop looking for excuses, it is now the time to step up and get the work done. The UK needs proper deals with proper countries (Rog, that's the whole World not just EU member states before you go off on one).

the eu has done a poor job on trade deals......

10 hours ago, woolley said:

And Germany, of course, although it is now having a struggle against China etc.

We do have some niche manufacturing that is world class, and wonderful scientific r&d, but heavy industry is finished. It would take a huge effort by government to turn it around. It could be done through inward and home sourced investment with the right incentives (we are a hugely rich country), and would be possible outside of EU constraints, but it wouldn't fit the carbon neutral by 2050 agenda. It's a service economy now.

The scientific research could be at risk.  A lot of researchers warned before the referendum that leaving the EU could lead to a decreases in funding for science and technology research projects.  Not much has been said about that recently so I suspect this is linked with the negotiations regarding the future relationship. 

There is very little industry left at all in the UK.  The industry that is left generally is part of a supply chain to EU countries (automotive, aerospace, food etc) and there future will depend on how trade with the EU will work in future.

Given those at the top of Government in the UK now my suspicion is that the UK will aim for a low tax, finance friendly market.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

The scientific research could be at risk.  A lot of researchers warned before the referendum that leaving the EU could lead to a decreases in funding for science and technology research projects.  Not much has been said about that recently so I suspect this is linked with the negotiations regarding the future relationship. 

There is very little industry left at all in the UK.  The industry that is left generally is part of a supply chain to EU countries (automotive, aerospace, food etc) and there future will depend on how trade with the EU will work in future.

Given those at the top of Government in the UK now my suspicion is that the UK will aim for a low tax, finance friendly market.

the scientific research that has decreased due to eu rules......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I believe that you're right which does not augur well for the island. There's not a hope in hell chance that HMG will allow a British protectorate with a far from well understood degree of freedom eat of its table.  

As for UK industry there's no doubt that low cost options that the EU provided dragged investment to the EU member states to the awful detriment of the UK but now we are out of that den of inequity and once this bloody stupid transition farce is ended our doors will be open to play the EU member states at their own game and while it's going to take time I have no doubt that we will.

17 minutes ago, sir nige said:

no it isn't......its the only ones they could work on......

So you are saying that the EU still stopping the UK from concluding deals with any country? Are you purposely missing the parts were I've said it is still early days and I'm sure better ones are sure to come? You do come across as a rather negative new forum member. Be positive, the UK has got what it wanted, the time is here for them to step up and show what can be done. Why are you so seemingly worried?

24 minutes ago, sir nige said:

no it isn't......its the only ones they could work on......

Nope. Fox was working at it for years. It’s a mix  of countries in a more desperate trading position than the U.K. and opportunists who could see how desperate Liam Fox was, eg; South Korea. They’ve nothing to lose from free trade with the U.K. - because apart from Scottish whisky the trade is pretty much all one way.

26 minutes ago, sir nige said:

the scientific research that has decreased due to eu rules......

Evidence?

18 minutes ago, Rog said:

I believe that you're right which does not augur well for the island. There's not a hope in hell chance that HMG will allow a British protectorate with a far from well understood degree of freedom eat of its table.  

Which is why people on the Isle of Man who had no vote in the referendum are somewhat concerned about the direction of travel by the UK Government.

18 minutes ago, Rog said:

As for UK industry there's no doubt that low cost options that the EU provided dragged investment to the EU member states to the awful detriment of the UK but now we are out of that den of inequity and once this bloody stupid transition farce is ended our doors will be open to play the EU member states at their own game and while it's going to take time I have no doubt that we will.

Heavy industry died because the UK has to import so many of the raw materials (iron ore, coal etc) largely thanks to Thatcher who oversaw the closure of the mines.  The steel industry is well and truly on its last legs in the UK.  Leaving the EU is not going to change that because Chinese Steel is still cheaper.

Manufacturing companies did not only move to the EU.  Dyson moved their production to Asia despite being a bit supporter of Brexit.

The automotive and aerospace industries rely on "just in time" so any delays at borders are going to be an issue within the supply chain.  If the UK does not want regulatory alignment on manufacturing standards etc then there will be checks at borders which will further challenge business.  Exporting to the US, China, Australia etc may be an option for some but others will not be able to absorb the increased costs of shipping products that far.