So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

32 minutes ago, sir nige said:

zero......which is why he's lying........

So you don't think a common border in Ireland and a tunnel that carries 30% of UK exports and 22% of imports represents a more manageable situation.?

Fair enough.

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So you don't think a common border in Ireland and a tunnel that carries 30% of UK exports and 22% of imports represents a more manageable situation.?

Fair enough.

nope......

fta.....neutral

lpf......good for the eu.....surrender for the uk......

wto.....best for the uk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir nige said:

nope......

fta.....neutral

lpf......good for the eu.....surrender for the uk......

wto.....best for the uk

Of course, Barnier et al are going to keep their powder dry until the negotiations start in earnest so everything is just speculation. But strangely they don't seem to trust totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson. Funny that...

I can understand the LPF problems because in 2018 the UK's GDP was $2.6 Tn (as a member of the EU) and the EU's was $16.2 Tn (without the UK). Difficult to imagine a level playing field when the differences are of that magnitude.

FTA may be neutral but with all the negative noises coming out of the Johnson camp it's getting harder to see that happening. Of course, it could be just more hollow bluster so the UK ridiculous rabid right wing press can report that the UK are really sticking it to the EU a la Nigel Farage and his totally false cameos in the EU parliament so he can then scurry back to the UK and farm the falsely generated click bait from the hard of thinking.

Which leaves WTO. It's a big ask I know but do you have the £numbers for how it will pan out? I'm aware that would mean you would have to work out imports and exports to EU countries and their tariff (if it ends up that way). Imports and exports to the 60+ countries we trade with under the umbrella of the EU and their WTO tariffs. Then ALL the rest of the entities we trade with using their WTO tariffs. Bearing in mind the UK will try and scrap import tariffs to try and give the impression there's a "brexit bonanza" or some such. And then you can see how it balances out.

Do you have the figures?

Details of the UK's probable immigration process/requirements in today's news - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51550421

A points based system as widely expected, linked to job offer, salary and skills. Obviously, there will be a lot of specific detail but in general terms it seems ok to me, although it will be interesting to see what impact the move away from cheap labour will have on general costs. The article also says that immigrants will not be eligible for benefits until they have been granted permanent residence (usually 5 years). In general I don't have a problem with that but does that include healthcare? Expecting someone to live somewhere for 5 years without access to healthcare seems problematic.

What are people's views?

28 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Details of the UK's probable immigration process/requirements in today's news - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51550421

A points based system as widely expected, linked to job offer, salary and skills. Obviously, there will be a lot of specific detail but in general terms it seems ok to me, although it will be interesting to see what impact the move away from cheap labour will have on general costs. The article also says that immigrants will not be eligible for benefits until they have been granted permanent residence (usually 5 years). In general I don't have a problem with that but does that include healthcare? Expecting someone to live somewhere for 5 years without access to healthcare seems problematic.

What are people's views?

Would need to read the detail but it looks like an extension of the current tier 2 general visas. 

My biggest concern is the bureaucracy and costs that employers may face when wishing to recruit overseas.  That is the hidden side to all this.

Not every employer has a sponsorship licence at the moment.  SME's may find it a challenge to obtain one (if required) due to the record keeping and data processing requirements involved.

Will the resident labour market test be removed?  Can't tell from the news articles. 

On the healthcare point I believe that anyone moving to the UK currently is technically required to have some form of health insurance although this is not really enforced.  I don't have the details on that to hand at the moment.

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

What are people's views?

they have to pay £400 per year for 5 years to have access to the nhs.....

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Of course, Barnier et al are going to keep their powder dry until the negotiations start in earnest so everything is just speculation. But strangely they don't seem to trust totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson. Funny that...

I can understand the LPF problems because in 2018 the UK's GDP was $2.6 Tn (as a member of the EU) and the EU's was $16.2 Tn (without the UK). Difficult to imagine a level playing field when the differences are of that magnitude.

FTA may be neutral but with all the negative noises coming out of the Johnson camp it's getting harder to see that happening. Of course, it could be just more hollow bluster so the UK ridiculous rabid right wing press can report that the UK are really sticking it to the EU a la Nigel Farage and his totally false cameos in the EU parliament so he can then scurry back to the UK and farm the falsely generated click bait from the hard of thinking.

Which leaves WTO. It's a big ask I know but do you have the £numbers for how it will pan out? I'm aware that would mean you would have to work out imports and exports to EU countries and their tariff (if it ends up that way). Imports and exports to the 60+ countries we trade with under the umbrella of the EU and their WTO tariffs. Then ALL the rest of the entities we trade with using their WTO tariffs. Bearing in mind the UK will try and scrap import tariffs to try and give the impression there's a "brexit bonanza" or some such. And then you can see how it balances out.

Do you have the figures?

he doesn't have any dry powder......it will come down to what germany wants......i don't think the member states want a trade war.....

also watch out for trump in all this.......he's looking for a big win before the election.....and will pile in if the uk walks....

the uk now trades direct with 50 countries rather than under the eu fta's......

21 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Seems cheap, where you getting that figure from?

same as non-eu pay now........

27. People coming to the UK from any country in the world for the purpose of work or study, other than some short-term business visitors and short-term students, will need to obtain a visa for which they will pay a fee. We will levy the Immigration Skills Surcharge on employers and the Immigration Health Surcharge on the same basis as now. For employers sponsoring skilled migrants, the process will be streamlined to reduce the time it takes to bring a migrant into the UK by up to eight weeks. We intend to further reduce this through additional enhancements to the system.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement

You’ll have to pay:

£300 per year for a student or Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa, for example £600 for a 2-year visa

£400 per year for all other visa and immigration applications, for example £2,000 for a 5-year visa

Dependants usually need to pay the same amount as you.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/how-much-pay

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sir nige said:

same as non-eu pay now........

27. People coming to the UK from any country in the world for the purpose of work or study, other than some short-term business visitors and short-term students, will need to obtain a visa for which they will pay a fee. We will levy the Immigration Skills Surcharge on employers and the Immigration Health Surcharge on the same basis as now. For employers sponsoring skilled migrants, the process will be streamlined to reduce the time it takes to bring a migrant into the UK by up to eight weeks. We intend to further reduce this through additional enhancements to the system.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement

You’ll have to pay:

£300 per year for a student or Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa, for example £600 for a 2-year visa

£400 per year for all other visa and immigration applications, for example £2,000 for a 5-year visa

Dependants usually need to pay the same amount as you.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/how-much-pay

:rolleyes:

Cheers, seems like a pretty good deal.