So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Individual EU Associate Membership.

I now consider that Guy Verhofstadt and the EU will be the ones who are negotiating in my interests as a European citizen and that Mrs May will be the one who is negotiating my rights away.  

This way, the 48% of us who voted to remain would have a way to keep some of the rights we currently enjoy.  I would take the opportunity without a second thought, even if I had to opt-in to a European Union tax in order to do it.

If the U.K. Blocks this, I would definitely be prepared to take to the streets in protest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-keep-freedom-of-movement-guy-verhofstadt-chief-negotiator-opt-in-passports-a7465271.html

4 minutes ago, guzzi said:

Individual EU Associate Membership.

I now consider that Guy Verhofstadt and the EU will be the ones who are negotiating in my interests as a European citizen and that Mrs May will be the one who is negotiating my rights away.  

This way, the 48% of us who voted to remain would have a way to keep some of the rights we currently enjoy.  I would take the opportunity without a second thought, even if I had to opt-in to a European Union tax in order to do it.

If the U.K. Blocks this, I would definitely be prepared to take to the streets in protest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-keep-freedom-of-movement-guy-verhofstadt-chief-negotiator-opt-in-passports-a7465271.html

already posted about, its got to get past the eu first and requires a treaty change, last one took over 10 years.....

Originally it was destined for the paper on treaty change, but if you read this new report, Verhofstadt considers it too important and pressing to leave for treaty change, and intends to table it as part of the negotiations.

39 minutes ago, guzzi said:

Originally it was destined for the paper on treaty change, but if you read this new report, Verhofstadt considers it too important and pressing to leave for treaty change, and intends to table it as part of the negotiations.

but can't come into force without treaty change which the eu is based on so pointless....

There is EU precedent for non-binding acceptance if member states agree. It applied to the Treaty of Lisbon, for example, before full ratification.

The fact is that the exit of the UK has no close precedent, and trying to predict now what might end up being agreed is foolish

Protecting  the  rights of EU and UK citizens has always been a major policy heading in the negotiation, and extending the right of individual membership to UK citizens could form part of the ratified agreement,

But even if treaty change was required,  it wouldn't make it pointless just because it might take some time to negotiate. Frustrating yes, but not pointless. 

I am far more fearful that the U.K. Government will block the provision in U.K. Law, in an attempt to impose some sort of national unity.

3 hours ago, guzzi said:

It's a superb negotiating position, I for one will take EU citizenship.

2 hours ago, guzzi said:

There is EU precedent for non-binding acceptance if member states agree. It applied to the Treaty of Lisbon, for example, before full ratification.

The fact is that the exit of the UK has no close precedent, and trying to predict now what might end up being agreed is foolish

Protecting  the  rights of EU and UK citizens has always been a major policy heading in the negotiation, and extending the right of individual membership to UK citizens could form part of the ratified agreement,

But even if treaty change was required,  it wouldn't make it pointless just because it might take some time to negotiate. Frustrating yes, but not pointless. 

I am far more fearful that the U.K. Government will block the provision in U.K. Law, in an attempt to impose some sort of national unity.

the eu have been talking about it for over 10 years, its nothing new, i doubt they will spend 5 minutes on it, they have no interest in ex-eu citizens- do some research....

Woody, your position is hardly unexpected given your usual posts on this and other subjects. I don't think you are right.  I note that Verhofstadt has escalated this proposal to a negotiating objective for the EU and watch with interest.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, woody2 said:

it ain't going to happen in the next 10 years, i guess you could move into the eu.....

Skilled, quality UK professionals are welcome in the EU - it will happen.