So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Perhaps because Priti Patel, and some others, could be viewed as "pulling the drawbridge up behind them".  There are people in Government now whose families benefited from previous arrangements but now the second generation of immigrants want to further control immigration.  It is fascinating...

this can't be news to you can it?

and its not just those in gov......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Yep fair drawbridge points.

Nothing is forever but when I worked in Oldham back in the 80s it was common to hear migrant's UK born progeny to be anti further immigration. I still can't grasp the real reason for that.

Yes, I hear that a lot too, but I can understand it. I think perhaps that they are less starry eyed about multiculturalism than the more liberal end of the host population, and they fear the long term consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Yes, I hear that a lot too, but I can understand it. I think perhaps that they are less starry eyed about multiculturalism than the more liberal end of the host population, and they fear the long term consequences.

Always assuming there are any....

3 hours ago, woolley said:

So what? Should the "drawbridge" remain down for all time because some people benefited from it in the past? That seems a curious principle to work by. You might apply the same orthodoxy to all kinds of issues. Should everyone still receive free higher education? People had this provision in the past, and even received maintenance grants while they studied. Now those same people have "pulled the drawbridge up behind them". What about womens' pensions at 60 and mens' at 65? The "drawbridge" has been pulled up on those too.

Take all those points and consider who have borne the brunt of those decisions?    With the exception of the womens' pensions (which I believe is facing further legal challenge) it is the older generations who had access to free higher education and maintenance grants.  It is the older generation who had access to defined benefit pension scheme and a full state pension.  I am not a millennial but fully expect that I will never receive a state pension or if I do the age to access it will be increased perhaps to 70. 

Perhaps now you can start to understand why millennials are starting to get angry at boomers.  They see a generation who had so much given to them by the state and and who have subsequently ripped it out after them.   That is why I find it fascinating.  The political ideologies of two generations crashing together over so many issues.

1 hour ago, sir nige said:

this can't be news to you can it?

and its not just those in gov......

Of course it is not news to me.  

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Take all those points and consider who have borne the brunt of those decisions?    With the exception of the womens' pensions (which I believe is facing further legal challenge) it is the older generations who had access to free higher education and maintenance grants.  It is the older generation who had access to defined benefit pension scheme and a full state pension.  I am not a millennial but fully expect that I will never receive a state pension or if I do the age to access it will be increased perhaps to 70. 

Perhaps now you can start to understand why millennials are starting to get angry at boomers.  They see a generation who had so much given to them by the state and and who have subsequently ripped it out after them.   That is why I find it fascinating.  The political ideologies of two generations crashing together over so many issues.

Of course it is not news to me.  

sweeping generalizations........

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

it is the older generations who had access to free higher education and maintenance grants. 

In the case of higher education in the boomers' time it was only the academically gifted that went to university not every Tom Dick and Harry. Nowadays totally unsuitable people are encouraged to go through the mincer at great cost to themselves and the country. I agree that there is some inter-generational unfairness, but lots of younger people have been assisted by their boomer parents and are also now inheriting in large numbers

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

In the case of higher education in the boomers' time it was only the academically gifted that went to university not every Tom Dick and Harry. Nowadays totally unsuitable people are encouraged to go through the mincer at great cost to themselves and the country. I agree that there is some inter-generational unfairness, but lots of younger people have been assisted by their boomer parents and are also now inheriting in large numbers

Absolutely right.

Despite stupidly variable interest rates boomers did everything they could to get on the housing ladder. This has led to a sort-of inheritance ladder. Some boomers are downsizing right now so they can kick their offspring out who have been languishing in the main residence since finishing their education and into their own place funded by Bank of Mum and Dad. Eventually, of course, they will inherit the lot. Then with people living longer a friend has just taken redundancy/early retirement who already have a nice house but will inherit mum & dads place before too long.

Don't forget boomers absolutely bust them because we had opportunities...

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

Absolutely right.

Despite stupidly variable interest rates boomers did everything they could to get on the housing ladder. This has led to a sort-of inheritance ladder. Some boomers are downsizing right now so they can kick their offspring out who have been languishing in the main residence since finishing their education and into their own place funded by Bank of Mum and Dad. Eventually, of course, they will inherit the lot. Then with people living longer a friend has just taken redundancy/early retirement who already have a nice house but will inherit mum & dads place before too long.

Don't forget boomers absolutely bust them because we had opportunities...

Our kids and grandkids have the opportunities too.

The only thing is that they don't have the opportunities to live the way they want to live and make the investments that so many of us did as well.

Oh wait --- nor did we.

But then we weren't spoilt rotten by our parents.

14 minutes ago, Rog said:

Our kids and grandkids have the opportunities too.

The only thing is that they don't have the opportunities to live the way they want to live and make the investments that so many of us did as well.

Oh wait --- nor did we.

But then we weren't spoilt rotten by our parents.

Says the Public school boy with a plethora of passports. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Says the Public school boy with a plethora of passports. 

Who gained a scholarship by HARD WORK rather than hanging around the Rendezvous cafe and who worked to get what he wanted and who has a second nationality based on his ancestors and antecedents  HARD WORK and sacrifice on so many levels.

As hominem responses really are so utterly pathetic.

You strike me as an entitled self-regarding prick who had his fees paid for all his life (and your scholarship lie is pretty transparent). You’ve gone through life as a winging, frightened and hateful specimen and you know it - your only consolation is to tell yourself you’re special because of your skin colour, height, hair colour, or whatever and communicate it to your only human contact - the posters on here who would prefer to talk about the UK’s future prospects- not your self-loathing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rog said:

It is inevitable.  

It does make me wonder if security service resources are being deployed in a balanced way.

In the UK the emphasis is very much on Islamists, due in part to the ridiculous UK rabid right wing press and the facile populist agenda of the government, that it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was room for some alt-right racist nutter to slip under the radar as apparently happened in Hanau.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised it took part in what was Western Germany and not the Eastern bit.

• Sad 1