So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Oh come on, it isn't just another project fear story. It's about animal welfare standards, in the distracting chlorinated chicken situation the EU calls for checks at all stages, looking at disease, contamination, the lot; the US ignore it all and just sterilise everything at the end. It might be that the US approach is more efficient, for making money, but the meat production industry is a disgusting thing, we should at least strive to have as high a standard as possible.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh come on, it isn't just another project fear story. It's about animal welfare standards, in the distracting chlorinated chicken situation the EU calls for checks at all stages, looking at disease, contamination, the lot; the US ignore it all and just sterilise everything at the end. It might be that the US approach is more efficient, for making money, but the meat production industry is a disgusting thing, we should at least strive to have as high a standard as possible.

Absolutely.

I do not want their chlorinated chicken, nor their growth-hormone riddled meats, nor their GM crops.

Some 40 years ago people remarked on the inefficiencies of French agriculture. But the same people couldn't explain why their food tasted better than ours....

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

There is no trade deal between the UK and Japan.  All trade arrangements are via the EU at present. 

Japan wants a trade deal with the EU and the EU wants a preferential agreement.  If Japan gives the UK a better deal then the EU's would have to match it.

Japan is therefore unlikely to offer the UK  a better deal than the EU.

no it wouldn't.....

the eu doesn't have a full fta with japan yet........

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

so if the eu is so good why do they have a higher rate of food poisoning than the usa.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Absolutely.

I do not want their chlorinated chicken, nor their growth-hormone riddled meats, nor their GM crops.

Some 40 years ago people remarked on the inefficiencies of French agriculture. But the same people couldn't explain why their food tasted better than ours....

how about eu chlorinated fruit and veg.......or chlorinated water.......

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Absolutely.

So I presume that you wouldn't eat bagged salad from a supermarket?  And the reason that some foods from french farms was because the French farms are generally much smaller than the UK and to keep their costs down are mostly what we call organic hence the huge CAP to subsidise them.

22 minutes ago, sir nige said:

so if the eu is so good why do they have a higher rate of food poisoning than the usa.....

I never said the EU is so good, just that it is better than the US version. Personally I'd prefer all animal welfare standards to be as high as possible, higher than now. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would wish to lower them.

Also, I reckon the above is a woodyfact. I can't be bothered looking it up or arguing about it.

34 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I never said the EU is so good, just that it is better than the US version. Personally I'd prefer all animal welfare standards to be as high as possible, higher than now. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would wish to lower them.

Also, I reckon the above is a woodyfact. I can't be bothered looking it up or arguing about it.

it isn't......

2 hours ago, Rog said:

So I presume that you wouldn't eat bagged salad from a supermarket?  And the reason that some foods from french farms was because the French farms are generally much smaller than the UK and to keep their costs down are mostly what we call organic hence the huge CAP to subsidise them.

I thought that was down to Napolean.

Not the CAP that is...