So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

19 hours ago, quilp said:

Why would I rather it not be good news?  

Correct me if I am wrong though but this is not an increase in production in the UK but simply confirmation that a new model will be built at an existing plant?

Do Toyota receive subsidies and support from the UK Government like Nissan do in Sunderland? 

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

Tell you what, do a search of your own if you're that interested...

I will.  Just as I always do.

Given your response I suspect I am right and that this just represents a continuation rather than additional investment and the creation of more jobs.

Not in itself a bad thing but perhaps a little different from what Guido would have you believe.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/toyota-celebrates-4-5-million-british-built-cars/

While some car manufacturers and industry lobbyists have been very keen to tell the media that a no-deal trading relationship would be catastrophic, Toyota has publicly remained very low-key. It prefers to talk up the great job that its workers in Burnaston do rather than threatening to leave every couple of months. But this week’s announcement carried a pointed message for our politicians: 90% of all Corollas that roll off the Burnaston production line – including car number 4,500,000 – are built for export.

With the government still threatening to walk away from any potential agreement with the EU, and also considering a scrappage allowance for electric vehicles (despite most electric vehicles being imported rather than built locally), Toyota is making the point that the local car industry plays a key role in the overall British economy. Is anyone in Westminster listening?

• Like 1

Being a Liberal and therefore wanting a fairer society for all I have several times mentioned the rise in child poverty. Which in the alleged "fifth largest economy" is an absolute disgrace. The response has either been mute or a redefinition of what actually constitutes child poverty? Apparently because it's only fair to challenge these things unless, of course, it's the left of centre of the political spectrum that's under the cosh. Isn't that right Woolster?

Anyway, it would appear that Bozo's default setting "When in trouble lie your way out of it" is going to catch up with him yet again.

That nice Keir Starmer took Bozo to task at the last PMQ's, which is just doing his job. Citing a report last week by the government’s social mobility commission, Starmer said 600,000 more children were living in relative poverty than in 2012, with a projected 5.2 million total by 2022. He asked: “What does the prime minister think caused that?”

Cue all the usual bluster and waffle. Starmer was absolutely wrong etc etc child poverty had declined etc etc the 600,000 more children was just a forecast etc etc (it isn't) and basically making it obvious that he had no idea about the government's social mobility commission nor it's recent report. But then Bozo is very much a "hands off" PM although I suspect the ladies would disagree with that.

Boris Johnson wrong on child poverty at PMQs, public body says

Children’s commissioner backs Keir Starmer over disputed figures 

The Office of the Children’s Commissioner for England has ruled that Boris Johnson made misleading claims about supposedly falling child poverty levels at prime minister’s questions, but backed claims made by Keir Starmer.

Researchers for the commissioner, Anne Longfield, concluded that Johnson was wrong to claim that there were 400,000 fewer families living in poverty now than there were in 2010 and that it was “generally false” for him to say overall poverty levels were falling.

In contrast, the fact-checking report by her office found that Starmer, the Labour leader, was correct to say 600,000 more children now lived in relative poverty compared with 2012, and the total number of children in poverty was forecast to rise steeply.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/22/boris-johnson-wrong-on-child-poverty-at-pmqs-public-body-says

@woolley

Bozo misleading the HoC yet again! You need to contact Downing Street pronto and pass on the tactic you use on here of trying to "redefine" the figures just to be fair to (almost) everyone...

PMQ's should be a laugh...

Somebody mention my name? I'm not really concerned about Johnson and Starmer having a spat at PMQs. "Relative poverty" doesn't mean anything in an affluent society. It means simply that some are a lot less well off than others. No argument about that. The problem is that it takes the attention away from cases where real poverty exists. Indeed there is some real poverty, and there will be more as a direct result of the lockdown. This is where relief will be needed.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, woolley said:

Somebody mention my name? I'm not really concerned about Johnson and Starmer having a spat at PMQs. "Relative poverty" doesn't mean anything in an affluent society. It means simply that some are a lot less well off than others. No argument about that. The problem is that it takes the attention away from cases where real poverty exists. Indeed there is some real poverty, and there will be more as a direct result of the lockdown. This is where relief will be needed.

It should mean that. But when the "affluence" is just so unevenly distributed, as in the UK, it means real poverty which means real hardship.

But hey, ignore it and it just disappears...

How about British Farming?

Surely better news there.

Or perhaps not...

Farmers to drive tractors to London for food standards demo

The campaign group Save British Farming is calling on farmers to drive tractors to Parliament Square for a “socially-distanced demo” from 1pm on Wednesday 8 July.

The group says Boris Johnson’s government wants to pass an Agriculture Bill through parliament that will “ditch UK animal welfare and environmental standards for farm imports, flood the market with cheap, low-quality food and destroy Britain’s world-class farming industry”.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/farm-policy/farmers-to-drive-tractors-to-london-for-food-standards-demo

Frankly if they were daft enough to believe Bozo and his promises they've only got themselves to blame...

Good thing we've got our top man, one David Frost apparently, in charge of the negotiations with the EU.

Errrr   hang on a minute....

Barnier confirms UK has missed Brexit equivalence assessment deadline 

EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier has confirmed claims that the UK has not completed necessary equivalence assessments by today’s deadline, marking a blow to the UK’s efforts to determine the City’s access to EU markets after Brexit. 

Barnier issued a stiff warning to the Treasury, reminding the UK that equivalence will only be granted if it is in the EU’s interest. 

“We must look beyond short-term adaptation and fragmentation costs, to our long-term interests… And so, we will only grant equivalences in those areas where it is clearly in the interest of the EU; of our financial stability; our investors and our consumers.”

He added that the UK should brace for “big changes” on 1 January, including the fact that UK firms will lose the benefit of financial services passports.

Barnier added: “This should not come as a surprise to you. We have been warning you about this for the past three years.”

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Still dishing out warnings and threats. Old EU habits die hard. 

I believe it's called "Telling it like it is..."

Something Bozo has never bothered to do.

Which reminds me - PMQ's on record.