So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

57 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

That figure is from the OBR.  You know, a Government body...

https://www.ft.com/content/72938c66-638f-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

Did you miss the word "forecast"? You know, peering into the future like they do at the Met Office....

Or do you think that the OBR has a crystal ball?

We are in uncharted waters in so many respects, so their guess is as good as yours or mine. Keeps them in a job, I suppose.

In the end it will cost what it will cost and yield what it will yield, but it will be as a sovereign country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Did you miss the word "forecast"? You know, peering into the future like they do at the Met Office....

Or do you think that the OBR has a crystal ball?

We are in uncharted waters in so many respects, so their guess is as good as yours or mine. Keeps them in a job, I suppose.

In the end it will cost what it will cost and yield what it will yield, but it will be as a sovereign country.

@woolley

Absolutely hilarious!

We have been told for YEARS that Brexit would be worth £zillions to UK PLC!

Now you're saying nobody knows what will happen....?

Prof Patrick Minford, alleged economist to the ERG, was on the Beeb last night saying how with Brexit we can strike great deals with Australia, India, NZ etc. Which was all very well until someone who lives in Reality Land pointed out that the amount of trade generated by the countries that the Mad Professor mentioned didn't even amount to that generated by the Netherlands....

Personally I would like someone from our clusterfuck of an Administration to explain why masks need to be worn in shops but not places like restaurants and pubs...?

1 minute ago, woolley said:

At a guess,  because you can't eat and drink through a mask? 

Thought so. Bit like Bozo.

PMQ's was another shambles. This summed it up rather well. Unfortunately for all us:

The Labour leader ended by basically accusing the prime minister of lying about the success of his government’s coronorvirus response and wondering what he might like to say to the families of those who had died – and of those who would die in the future – as a result of his negligence. It was a serious, solemn question. And one that was treated as a joke as Boris responded by saying Starmer had “more briefs than Calvin Klein”. I’m sure that gave all the bereaved a good chuckle. The prime minister’s ability to misjudge the mood of the chamber is borderline sociopathic.

It had been yet another Johnson PMQs rocky horror show. A travesty of its true purpose and an insult to the country. People are dying. People are losing their jobs. People are terrified about the future. And yet to Boris it all still feels like a big game where the only thing at stake is his fragile ego. He did, when pushed by the Lib Dems’ Ed Davey, commit to a national inquiry into the government’s handling of the pandemic but not to any time soon. Certainly not in time to save any more lives this winter and certainly not before he has a chance to shift the blame on to someone else.

At times like these, we need a leader in whom to believe......

27 minutes ago, quilp said:

Woollster, you've been drawn in (again) by incessant, unreasonable, vainglorious and vindictive trolling. Ask yourself, is it worth the effort? 

Not really, Quilpy. I allow myself one word to every ten of his. :D I will not argue, circular debate or foam at the mouth.

In this instance, I was just giving the obvious answer to the difference between shops and restaurants when it comes to masks. It does make sense if you think about it. Say four people sitting around a table for an hour or more, strategically placed for the optimum ventilation while eating a meal are less at risk than people who are transiting multiple shops and coming into contact with many different people all the time.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, woolley said:

Not really, Quilpy. I allow myself one word to every ten of his. :D I will not argue, circular debate or foam at the mouth.

Quite so.

As a right wing brexiteer all you can really do now is lead with the chin...

Don't you just lurve the Grauniad:

MP who beat Chris Grayling to intelligence chair role loses Tory whip

Julian Lewis kicked out of parliamentary party after beating Boris Johnson’s pick   

Boris Johnson was humiliated on Wednesday after Chris Grayling, his pick to lead parliament’s powerful intelligence and security committee, was unexpectedly rejected in an ambush by MPs.

The former cabinet minister was defeated by fellow Conservative Julian Lewis – prompting an embarrassed Downing Street to kick the victor, who was accused of duplicitous behaviour, out of the parliamentary party.

The committee, responsible for oversight of Britain’s spy agencies, has agreed to meet again before recess and is expected to discuss publishing the long-delayed report into Russian interference in British politics.

The Scottish National party’s shadow defence secretary, Stewart McDonald MP, said: “With his abysmal record of failure as a Tory minister, Chris Grayling is the only man who could lose a rigged election.”

Labour MP Stella Creasy called Lewis’s ejection from the Tories “remarkable”, adding: “It doesn’t stop Julian being chair of committee or sympathy for him across house. It does make it more likely the long overdue report into Russian interference in our political system is published. A set of own goals of which even Sunderland would be proud.”

Oh the irony! Downing Street accusing someone of being duplicitous....

Julian Lewis is obviously a man of integrity and no way Downing Street will be having any of that!

I mean, he'll show all the rest of them up....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/15/chris-grayling-fails-to-become-intelligence-and-security-chair

They keep asking me for money. Whenever I wearily follow one of the Dear PK's Grauniad links they obviously record the moment, and they've formed the impression that I actually like them and might be prepared to pay for the privilege of reading their benighted outpourings.

• Haha 1

What annoys me most about that rag, after the whiney Owen Jones, is its propensity to remove uncomfortable comments. That bible of liberal delight is decidedly censorious and illiberal. It's not a newspaper it's a viewspaper for the weak-minded and virtuous. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

It's the fact that they think I want to pay for it and will be guilt tripped into it that slays me. And the worthy way in which they portray themselves with such delusional assessments of their assumed influence.

You may have seen ...

… that we have taken some tough decisions about our future. The economic crisis caused by Covid 19 has compelled us to move decisively to ensure that we prioritise our readers in these challenging times.

We know tens of millions of you out there read, share and admire our journalism. If there were ever a time to join us and empower our journalists in their core mission to expose wrongdoing, incompetence, injustice and inequality, it is now, when our traditional sources of income are under such pressure. More than 200,000 people have supported us since March, joining others from 180 countries. Will you join them?

We believe everyone deserves access, now more than ever.

The more support we can get, the bigger the difference we can make. The more readers who fund our work, the more we can investigate. The more contributions we can secure from people like you, the more wrongdoing, incompetence, injustice and unfairness we can expose. Our work has real-world impact, forcing those in power to cleaner, higher standards. The more funding we get, the greater that real-world impact can be.

The Guardian’s independence means we interrogate the actions of those in power without fear. With no shareholders or billionaire owner, our journalism is free from political and commercial biasthis makes us different:D We can give a voice to the oppressed and neglected, and stand in solidarity with those who are calling for a fairer future.

You can support the Guardian today by picking the option that suits you best. Make a recurring or single contribution, from as little as £1. Or subscribe to enjoy ad-free reading and access to our two premium Guardian apps, from £5.99 a month. All reader support, however big or small, is so valuable for our future. Thank you.

Edited by woolley
  • Haha 1