So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Yeah. We don't because we just expect them to speak our language. ;)

Embarrassingly most of them do!

At one time I was lumbered with "work experience" students from the local was a red brick now a university. Their written English was so poor we could only use them for the most menial of tasks. The Europeans they were trying to communicate with had a far better grasp of grammar etc etc than this lot of dumbed down ever would have. Speak to some of the Scandawegians on the phone and it just wouldn't occur to you that English was their second, third or even fourth language.

Shamefull.....

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Embarrassingly most of them do!

At one time I was lumbered with "work experience" students from the local was a red brick now a university. Their written English was so poor we could only use them for the most menial of tasks. The Europeans they were trying to communicate with had a far better grasp of grammar etc etc than this lot of dumbed down ever would have. Speak to some of the Scandawegians on the phone and it just wouldn't occur to you that English was their second, third or even fourth language.

Shamefull.....

Shameful.

It's the same with kids from all over the world. Many Africans and Asians from the back of beyond, even some having lived their entire childhood in war zones, speak self-taught English far more eloquently than do most of the progeny of the English inner suburbs. As for the British learning to speak foreign languages fluently; forget it.

13 minutes ago, woolley said:

Shameful.

It's the same with kids from all over the world. Many Africans and Asians from the back of beyond, even some having lived their entire childhood in war zones, speak self-taught English far more eloquently than do most of the progeny of the English inner suburbs. As for the British learning to speak foreign languages fluently; forget it.

Speak for yourself, I'm British and speak a foreign language fluently. I strongly believe that you can only properly integrate into a country if you can communicate in that country's language.

5 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Speak for yourself, I'm British and speak a foreign language fluently. I strongly believe that you can only properly integrate into a country if you can communicate in that country's language.

Me too. I totally agree.

53 minutes ago, woolley said:

Shameful.

Bang on! Down on my manor! Only problem is we have to teach them that when it says "Test the fire alarms" you use the control panel and not break the glass and get the fire brigade out!

36 minutes ago, woolley said:

Me too. I totally agree.

I had a job in Manchester in the late 1990s when you had those LCD adverts in post offices...Well my job was sub-editing the adverts on the screens...It was called Post Office Nu media... The kids could cast the adverts as a lot of dots but neither they nor the Reps could read or write properly so I was there to re-write and correct...Anyone recall those red dot ads in the post offices? I had to edit them before they went on public display.. "Post Office Nu-Media" it was called.

6 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Bang on! Down on my manor! Only problem is we have to teach them that when it says "Test the fire alarms" you use the control panel and not break the glass and get the fire brigade out!

Yes. Then for a laugh, chuck molatov cocktails at the firemen when they arrive. Just kids having fun, the little darlings.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Shameful.

Not so much self taught English but the effect of the British Empire  Serve you right immigration fools! I have met chaps living up trees in Kenya who speak better English better than what you lot normally always does.

Ha ha. I see Bazza. Mind you, you're having a turkish telling me to wake up and read the post when you said the same thing twice in three lines in your post about Post Office Nu Media. I know attention spans are short nowadays but that's ridiculous.

51 minutes ago, woolley said:

Ha ha. I see Bazza. Mind you, you're having a turkish telling me to wake up and read the post when you said the same thing twice in three lines in your post about Post Office Nu Media. I know attention spans are short nowadays but that's ridiculous.

Emphasis for you seniors....And I was in charge and which is not ridiculous because I edited the entire UK..

12 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

it would cut down on translation costs.......

• Like 1

14 hours ago, woolley said:

Shameful.

Ha!

Nice one!