So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

14 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Speak for yourself, I'm British and speak a foreign language fluently. I strongly believe that you can only properly integrate into a country if you can communicate in that country's language.

In my experience you have to live in the country to learn the language, as any fule kno.

Now this is where religions like Islam cost us all dearly. Things like a school prospectus have to be printed in a myriad of languages. Because mum is not allowed to learn English. Which is why we have high immigrant densities in places like Oldham.

I think the French are right to have a very secular state. Because unless the kids integrate at school it just ain't going to happen...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

In my experience you have to live in the country to learn the language, as any fule kno.

Now this is where religions like Islam cost us all dearly. Things like a school prospectus have to be printed in a myriad of languages. Because mum is not allowed to learn English. Which is why we have high immigrant densities in places like Oldham.

I think the French are right to have a very secular state. Because unless the kids integrate at school it just ain't going to happen...

You are right about having to live in a country to learn the language. I have properties in Southern Europe away from "ex-pat" areas (thank Christ) and having work done on them means dealing with local firms and conducting business in their language. When it's costing you money you soon learn! You also learn that the afternoon down time can magically be a lot less necessary when they see the money.

I'm not so sure about the effectiveness of the French secular state as far as Islam and integration is concerned. It takes two to tango and I don't see the Muslims in segregated areas as being much into the dance. I think the result will be much the same.

Edited by woolley

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

Farage refuses to use Uber because they are not "our people" (i.e. bloody foreigners).

Long-Bailey refuses to use Uber because she feels they mistreat their workers.

How are you struggling to see the difference here?

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

Farage refuses to use Uber because they are not "our people" (i.e. bloody foreigners).

Long-Bailey refuses to use Uber because she feels they mistreat their workers.

How are you struggling to see the difference here?

How convenient!