So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

6 hours ago, woolley said:

Great stuff. The more Barnier comes out with that sort of stuff, the better.

Absolutely.

Once Barnier et al realise  how basic and deep-rooted and just how downright ignorant UK xenophobia is then they'll be glad to be shot of us ASAP.....

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 1

The leaked document on immigration has caused quite a stir. These few paragraphs on just how short-sighted a policy like that is caught my eye:

"But there is another folly at work. Doesn’t the author of that Home Office document realise that, in setting out to make Britain as unattractive as possible to potential newcomers – a mission already accelerated by Brexit’s devaluation of the pound – the government will also make the country less attractive to everyone else, including those born and raised here?

It’s not just the harshness of tone, making Britain a country that slams the door in the face of the outside world. It’s more practical than that. Farmers warn that they need EU migrants to harvest their crops. Employers have already condemned the leaked plan, because they fear that it will not only turn them into unofficial immigration inspectors, but also deprive them of people they need, who often do jobs native-born Brits won’t do. Economists issue the same warning.

Most telling are the pleas from the NHS, from care homes and from schools. If we keep out the migrants this Home Office plan aims to keep out, we will be depriving ourselves of nurses, care workers and teaching assistants. That’s the verdict of those bleeding heart liberals at the Institute of Directors."

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/06/brexit-leak-may-immigration-eu-migrants-britain

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

How the hell did we manage in the dark ages before the EU came along to save us from ourselves?

British food was utterly depressing until relatively recently - factory bread, powdered coffee and horrible puddings is how I remember it. Everything slightly smelling of cabbage but not in a good way. My father thought that spaghetti was suspiciously foreign - even served with grey 'mince', as it invariably was.

Like it or not, the EEC/EU (and also immigration from the former empire) is part of what changed how we live so much better today. I honestly think that we were the first generations who ended up mostly teaching our parents how to cook / enjoy food.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

How the hell did we manage in the dark ages before the EU came along to save us from ourselves?

We had only the working people of Britain! ie The Irish!...Hands up those who can recall when large numbers of nurses in the NHS were Irish...All the builders seemed to have the same name ie "Paddy"...When Gippos , travellers, school boys and housewives worked in the fields and orchards? I did my stint picking blackcurrants and long green beans and peas and apples.

And the EU did not "come along". We created the EU by way of the 1992 Maastricht Treaty which came into force in 1993. The UK had a big hand in creating the EU and Sir Miles Walker signed the self same treaty on behalf of the Isle of Man.

The EU is a mere 24 years old.

Hands up those who can recall when the steady decline in Britain's gold reserves was weekly news? Of how the former colonies/Commonwealth nations no longer had to buy British goods..Of when Australia and New Zealand adopted the Dollar rather than Sterling?

We joined the Common Market much later merged into the EU because we had lost our protected markets in the former Empire and anyway had forgotten how to make things up to standard and the nakedness of the economy was revealed...

We joined the Common Market after some rebuffs from General de Gaulle of France because we were out in the cold and lonely with our privileges and captive markets mainly gone.

I was sailing over to Denmark when the Purser announced they would no longer accept Sterling.. Nigeria had dumped it! The currency fell off a cliff. Likewise I had the same refusal in Barbados which is like "little England" or was then..

We joined "Europe" because we were on the edge of bust and nowhere to go so we joined their wagon train for protection.

Mind you, De Gaulle always said that if we joined we would never be happy, never quite fit in and probably ruin it.

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

Don't be stupid, Barrie. We have been protected to the extent of minus hundreds of billions of pounds.

And I got a fitted kitchen, wet room and double glazing out of it due to EU funds and directives we were told...It was a rush job to get it done before the budget was exhausted....But you lot don't get any bunce do you?

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Don't be stupid, Barrie. We have been protected to the extent of minus hundreds of billions of pounds.

You know perfectly well that the modern money makes the billion almost irrelevant. Via the banking system, the country can create and destroy the stuff by simply lending it. The government bizarrely choses not to collect the profits. They could massively increase spending and abolish taxes if they chose to.

With hindsight I think we will come to understand that being part of the EU whilst not being part of the € was the absolute sweet-spot. The best of both worlds economically. And things will never be so good again.

But more than that, being part the EEC/EU (and immigration from the empire) has made Britain a much better place.

Predictable. EU = Everything in our lives that is good, and this evolution would not have come about without membership. Total nonsense

Of course it's nonsense as is the reciprocal situation of 'everything was fine until we joined'. 'How did we manage etc etc' seems to be going down those lines.

Regulation of nearly everything now is considerably more complex than it was in the 70s. This is the main reason which you cannot simply be a trading partner as in 'I voted for the Common market only' etc. (Yeah we know YOU didn't woolley....)

Worldwide markets will of course sell to us in the future based on the requirements of that biggest single trading block (yep the EU) but the idea that the 21st century UK can operate on its own rules totally unconnected with the EU is not going to happen.