So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

84% of the population voted for candidates standing on a Brexit platform at the general election.

Is this a #woodyfact? It's clearly nonsense since the turnout at the General Election was only 70%.

Not very sensible.

• Like 2

I love the way it was put forward as a "humble sddress" but I think Bercow has to decide if it's binding or not.

Plus it's to be released only to the Brexit select committee. For now.

I'm not going to bother with it because someone who thinks they are sensible has it on good authority (themselves) that they are written exclusively by remoaners and there isn't a shadow of truth in any of it!

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I love the way it was put forward as a "humble sddress" but I think Bercow has to decide if it's binding or not.

Plus it's to be released only to the Brexit select committee. For now.

I'm not going to bother with it because someone who thinks they are sensible has it on good authority (themselves) that they are written exclusively by remoaners and there isn't a shadow of truth in any of it!

By George, he's got it!

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Desperate semantics. Obviously 84% of those who voted but you knew that.

Well done defeating your own argument. The public has elected a Parliament comprising a majority of MPs who support either Remain or a soft Brexit.

It's about 360 for a soft Brexit or no Brexit IIRC.

Edited by pongo

@ John Wright: Lots of curious fantasising on here tonight. Self-interest dictates that there is no appetite at all for a general election any time soon. On the "dynamite" scale this is a damp squib. However, the government was right to try to keep the contents confidential for the reasons I pointed out earlier in the thread. Those opposed are working against the interests of their own country.

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Political dynamite. Tories just lost a vote in the Commons. They now have to publish the official government reports on the effect of Brexit on 58 different industries.

I understand they are a tale of unmitigated woe and probable economic disaster.

The result of the reports, which were never intended to be seen, especially by the public, and other  industries, will be a death blow for the whole Brexit process. It will now start to unravel.

More importantly it will show that May, Davis, Boris and others have lied, repeatedly. They knew what a disaster it would be economically, just ignored it. That's the end of this government.

General Election in the offing, as Tory moderates, the Nationalists and the DUP join Labour in a vote of no confidence.

https://news.sky.com/story/government-loses-vote-on-publishing-brexit-impact-assessments-11108917

The only reason the Tories didn't vote was that they knew they'd lose. 

I suppose the only two things outstanding are, will May go or be pushed, and who will be the next leader. And will Labour wait for the new leader to be elected before causing a confidence vote and election.

i think she will resign on health grounds, and Labour won't want a new leader in situ who traditionally gets a poll boost and honeymoon period.

Odds on Boris, Rees Mogg, Gove?

old news, are sky slow.....

8 minutes ago, pongo said:

Well done defeating your own argument. The public has elected a Parliament comprising a majority of MPs who support either Remain or a soft Brexit.

It's about 360 for a soft Brexit or no Brexit IIRC.

If it finishes up with something that lays down no EU membership, no jurisdiction of ECJ, border control and sovereignty preserved in perpetuity that will be a result. It will lay down a red line.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Nobody serious supports Brexit. Nobody with any sort of strategic outlook is in favour of this deliberate leap in the dark. 

This strikes me as a slightly pompous assumption, with a bit of subliminal virtue-signalling thrown in.

After reading through the last few exchanges, I'm left wondering how remoaners can possibly know with such certainty what lies ahead.

It's almost laughable:lol:

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

not one economists has ever been right about any major financial changes.....

as for these reports, they contain good and bad, anybody that thinks its a good idea to publish weaknesses in say national security wants sectioning.....

labour won a non binding vote on release but not one tory voted. they are using some old law, this is the same party that want these old laws removed:rolleyes:

why would anyone would want the eu to know the uk's strengths and weaknesses during negations? apart from to destroy the uk.....

should just publish fully redacted copies, labour aren't in government, its got sod all to do with them.....   

keep up at the back john, the vote was non binding:lol:

they can publish fully redacted copies even if the queen allows them to be published....

another box of straws needed:lol: