So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Just now, Manximus Aururaneus said:

But more to the point, are you saying that Davis / May will not get a successful trade deal (including services) with the EU?

There is widespread disagreement about whether there is currently a single market in services even within the EU. 

I am more confident and optimistic that Mrs May will achieve a trade deal with the EU than I was 6 weeks ago. There seems to be a genuine move towards isolating those who have tried to push for a no-deal exit.

But I am genuinely curious about all the stuff which is not being talked about in the media. For example - the bilateral agreements which exist between the EU and the US - which cover areas such as insurance. And a whole bunch of other full trade and bilateral agreements which the UK currently enjoys with the rest of the world via membership of the EU. All of that is going to be gone.

It still seems completely bonkers to me. Trying to change everything all at once like this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pongo said:

I said that he was "right to say". Not that he was right. In the context of working on behalf of the finance sector to try to pry open the protectionist USA market. But it was always unlikely that he would succeed. The same as Liam Fox and friends will never succeed in negotiating a successful trade deal with the US which includes the UK's most important exports.

Basically I guess we'll find out.

Thank goodness we have our best people working on it like David Davis who has "fall guy" written into his DNA....

Edited by P.K.

39 minutes ago, pongo said:

There is widespread disagreement about whether there is currently a single market in services even within the EU. 

I am more confident and optimistic that Mrs May will achieve a trade deal with the EU than I was 6 weeks ago. There seems to be a genuine move towards isolating those who have tried to push for a no-deal exit.

But I am genuinely curious about all the stuff which is not being talked about in the media. For example - the bilateral agreements which exist between the EU and the US - which cover areas such as insurance. And a whole bunch of other full trade and bilateral agreements which the UK currently enjoys with the rest of the world via membership of the EU. All of that is going to be gone.

It still seems completely bonkers to me. Trying to change everything all at once like this.

yes, how will the uk ever cope without the bilateral agreement on what language is used on wine.....

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

The U.K. passport design revealed today is the wrong colour. My old ‘blue’ passport was as dark as a Croatian passport. Is the new blue and gold design in homage to the EU, seeing as they will be dictating future terms of trade and travel?

they don't like it apparently......

10 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

High praise coming from the biggest whinger on this forum, I am honoured.

eh?

On 12/22/2017 at 7:53 PM, pongo said:

Still ... Blue passports, blue passports, blue passports !!! That’s all they want. 

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Still ... Blue passports, blue passports, blue passports !!! That’s all they want. 

I don't really understand why you feel the need to trivialise this Sultan - your statement is (in my case at least) completely untrue.

I was born a 'British Citizen'  and I have no shame in saying that I am comfortable with that description. I am sure that many Australians, New Zealanders, Americans etc. feel similarly comfortable with their true nationality. 

At some stage in the last four decades, somebody has taken my willingness to join a 'Common Market' trading agreement as an excuse to seek to alter my Citizenship without so much as asking me. I am not comfortable with that - it does not seem democratic to me.

A 'Blue' passport (over a burgundy one) is to me, of little if any consequence. 

The wording 'European Union' is to be removed from British passports from March 2019 - That is of consequence to me, because I was never asked, let alone agreed, to become a Citizen of a Political Union.

I'm sorry if, for some reason, you are not personally comfortable with being labelled 'British' - but I am, and that's the way I intend to stay.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

alter my Citizenship without so much as asking me. I am not comfortable with that - it does not seem democratic 

My citizenship is also about to be altered - without so much as asking me. I am not comfortable with that - it does not seem democratic.

If the issue is really about British citizenship then all British citizens should be given the chance to decide. In a new referendum. Not only those registered to vote in the UK.

Edited by pongo
  • Thanks 1