So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

The effects of Brexit uncertainty so far.

I used taxis over the festive period and apart from the last minute rush before Christmas Eve I thought the roads were a bit quiet.

On Christmas Day and Boxing Day I asked the taxi drivers how is business then?

They said very quiet. People are cutting back. It is the uncertainty and they are hanging on to their money more. I was told fewer people are travelling to and from homes and staying in.

One firm told me that until Brexit they were recovering from the banking crash of 2007-8 but now trade has slipped back to being as it was in those days.

Down on my manor there is practically zero unemployment other than the usual suspects. I did notice that the Job Centre now stays open all day Saturday including yesterday.

Down on my manor folk think nothing of popping over to France for a bit of shopping. This Xmas I enjoyed proper French cheese and Sauternes amongst other things. It remains to be seen as to how this will continue post-Brexit but so far nothing has happened! In other words the near-EU is now local shopping...But for how much longer?

@Manximus Aururaneus

That all seems very chippy. You talk about the result - we don’t have a result yet. Britain is leaving the EU. But we have no idea what that actually means. It can  mean anything.

And why would leaving the EU suddenly make people any more optimistic or outward looking? That doesn’t make sense. It’s a wish not a plan.

FWIW I support your happy clappy globalist free trade agenda - but many of those who supported leaving the EU certainly don’t. In many ways it was a backlash against the sort of world view you imagine. They don’t want to compete with Chinese wages any more than they want to compete with Polish plumbers. You are never going to square that.

And there is no sensible reason to believe that leaving the EU will create less bureacracy. More if anything - since everything that the EU does currently will need to be replicated at a national level. All regulation, every code and safety specification and procedure will need a UK equivalent. All of those bodies will need UK equivalents.

Edited by pongo

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

@Manximus Aururaneus

That all seems very chippy. You talk about the result - we don’t have a result yet. Britain is leaving the EU. But we have no idea what that actually means. It can  mean anything.

And why would leaving the EU suddenly make people any more optimistic or outward looking? That doesn’t make sense. It’s a wish not a plan.

FWIW I support your happy clappy globalist free trade agenda - but many of those who supported leaving the EU certainly don’t. In many ways it was a backlash against the sort of world view you imagine. They don’t want to compete with Chinese wages any more than they want to compete with Polish plumbers. You are never going to square that.

And there is no sensible reason to believe that leaving the EU will create less bureacracy. More if anything - since everything that the EU does currently will need to be replicated at a national level. All regulation, every code and safety specification and procedure will need a UK equivalent. All of those bodies will need UK equivalents.

It makes me more optimistic and outward looking - and I have been developing our business plans to accommodate  Brexit since before the referendum - I see it as an obvious responsibility  under my legal fiduciary duty to the Company. Others see it differently, that's their choice.

But we have no idea what that actually means. It can  mean anything.

The role of a director is to provide direction - either you can allow things to drift along of their own accord - or you can take steps to see the possible benefits in any given situation and make positive plans accordingly - I prefer positive steps over meaningless moaning about the result. Again, others will act differently.

1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I prefer positive steps over meaningless moaning about the result. Again, others will act differently.

Here, and more specifically in your post above, you have accused me of moaning. But I have never moaned about the result. It simply isn’t true.

Most of those who voted for Brexit do not support the globalist agenda which you and I share. In that respect you have more in common with Clinton/Bush/Obama/Blair and the Chinese than you do with the new populism.

Edited by pongo

35 minutes ago, pongo said:

In your post above you have specifically accused me of moaning. But I have never moaned about the result. It simply isn’t true.

Most of those who voted for Brexit do not support the globalist agenda which you and I share. In that respect you have more in common with Clinton/Bush/Obama/Blair and the Chinese than you do with the new populism.

I simply do not see how you, I, or anyone else can say what those who voted for Brexit do or do not support. It is impossible to know that. The explanations given for the so-called 'views of Brexiteers' are as numerous as the number of different religions on earth (2,000?) - and just like religion, each 'expert' view on Brexit will insist that his/hers is the only possible correct interpretation. Well, 2,000 differing views cannot all be correct.

I did not actually support Clinton, Bush, or Blair but I could live with them if I had to - the political pendulum was reasonably near the centre with all three. Obama I could not stand, I found his attitude to the UK offensive, always considered him to be a bad liar, and thought that his intervention in the Brexit referendum was appalling (I am convinced that it resulted in pro Brexit votes). I like leaders who lead, Margaret Thatcher would be be top of my list.

Which brings us to 'the new populism'. I think that the key (and revealing) word here is 'new'. Sure, some form of populism has always existed, but the 'new' emphasis given to the term, seems to me to be nothing more than a fashion thing being put about by the European so-called 'elites' of the Junker / Verhofstadt / Merkel and the Nick Clegg types to cast anyone that disagrees with their view of the world as somehow 'out of order'. It ties in with their use of similar derogatory terms 'uneducated' 'old' 'naive' 'nationalist' 'isolationist' to describe Brexiteers or anyone that objects to over 1 million so-called refugees in one hit.

Sure, somewhere within the 17.4 million people that voted leave you will find all of the above - but you will find a much higher % percentage amongst AfD and Austrian parties though, and unless these so-called elites wake up out of their stupor to see the unrest that their massive back-door political experiment is causing then things really will get ugly - god forbid.

I prefer Thatcher, but I can live with Bush, Clinton, Blair - and even Brown. I have travelled to all the continents and a large percentage of the countries on earth. I tolerate people of any colour or religion provided the do not kill and maim for it. I worked in Hong Kong for a while and saw first-hand what problems mass refugees (5 million in that case) can bring. But, according to some remainers, I am intolerant, naive, uneducated, nationalistic, and isolationist (probably 'populist' too). The country will divide unless this nonsense (from both sides) stops.

30 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Which brings us to 'the new populism'. I think that the key (and revealing) word here is 'new'. Sure, some form of populism has always existed, but the 'new' emphasis given to the term, seems to me to be nothing more than a fashion thing being put about by the European so-called 'elites' of the Junker / Verhofstadt / Merkel and the Nick Clegg types to cast anyone that disagrees with their view of the world as somehow 'out of order'.

The New Populism is a global political phenomenon which is about promising simplistic, bombastic and typically unrealistic solutions to an electorate comprising mostly the economically vulnerable but also better off people with a chip on their shoulder. It’s a lie.

If imaginary elites really existed then they would clearly be behind it. 

2 hours ago, pongo said:

i think you will find much of this is already done, the eu copied most of it from BSi and english law......

i object to german companies getting to see the new regs 18 months before anyone else, it highlights how unfair the eu is...... 

3 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The effects of Brexit uncertainty so far.

I used taxis over the festive period and apart from the last minute rush before Christmas Eve I thought the roads were a bit quiet.

On Christmas Day and Boxing Day I asked the taxi drivers how is business then?

They said very quiet. People are cutting back. It is the uncertainty and they are hanging on to their money more. I was told fewer people are travelling to and from homes and staying in.

One firm told me that until Brexit they were recovering from the banking crash of 2007-8 but now trade has slipped back to being as it was in those days.

Down on my manor there is practically zero unemployment other than the usual suspects. I did notice that the Job Centre now stays open all day Saturday including yesterday.

Down on my manor folk think nothing of popping over to France for a bit of shopping. This Xmas I enjoyed proper French cheese and Sauternes amongst other things. It remains to be seen as to how this will continue post-Brexit but so far nothing has happened! In other words the near-EU is now local shopping...But for how much longer?

never ask a taxi driver anything:lol:

uber seems busy.....

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, woody2 said:

#foreigners

down to some daft eu law that background checks can't be carried out.....

And what EU law is that? There isn’t one. You can check backgrounds. 

The UBER issue is that, according to UBER, the drivers are self employed, and UBER is just an interface putting punters in contact with drivers. So it’s unregulated. UBER get to wash their hands and deny responsibility.

And what has the EU done? Well it’s said no. It’s said UBER has to register as a regulated industry just like black cabs and private hire firms. And because I know you’d pour scorn on a Guardian  or    Indy link I’ve broken the rule of a lifetime and looked at this turgidly written piece from the Torygraph

http:/www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/12/20/uber-dealt-new-setback-eu-court-labels-transport-company/

Going back to your Met statistics what are the rape numbers for private hire drivers? Seems strange they’re not included?

i think you’ve ignored the differentiation in the statistics and lumped them both together. There are more rapes reported, recorded and convicted for private hire driver rapes than for UBER drivers.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety-and-security/security-on-the-network/tph-related-sexual-offences

Edited by John Wright

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And what EU law is that?

it was a loophole in eu law that allowed them to operate without background checks and not as a taxi company, they just needed a letter saying the driver was of good standing.....

the eu has also refused mandatory background checks before the uk gives citizenship...

what are they trying to hide...... 

clearly no problems in germany.....

'Safe zone' for women set up at Berlin New Year's Eve event

New Year's Eve celebrations in Berlin will see a "safe zone" for women for the first time in the city's history.

Organisers of the Brandenburg Gate party are hoping to prevent mob attacks similar to those that occurred in Cologne two years ago.

Hundreds of women were attacked by gangs of men with migrant backgrounds during New Year's Eve celebrations in 2015.

The incident happened after Germany had accepted a record influx of more than one million migrants.

The German capital will this year have a "safety zone" where Red Cross helpers will look after women who feel harassed or threatened.

Additional safety precautions, including a ban on large bags, rucksacks, glass bottles and alcoholic drinks, will also be enforced.

Berlin police have issued advice to women attending the celebrations, encouraging them to seek help if they feel threatened and to avoid carrying a valuable bag.

About 500 security personnel will be at the Brandenburg Gate party, as well as more than 1,000 extra police officers patrolling the city.

Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to turn out for the celebrations.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/world-news/safe-zone-for-women-set-up-at-berlin-new-years-eve-event/

12 hours ago, woody2 said:

it was a loophole in eu law that allowed them to operate without background checks and not as a taxi company, they just needed a letter saying the driver was of good standing.....

the eu has also refused mandatory background checks before the uk gives citizenship...

what are they trying to hide...... 

I attach a link to the application form for UK naturalisation...It clearly gives great scope for background checks, criminal records and investigations by various agencies including security services. These are a significant portion of the application.

As regards EU Citizenship well this is more or less a notional concept introduced first in the Maastricht Treaty and then the Lisbon Treaty and is a sort of adjunct to your main nationality/citizenship. One cannot apply for EU Citizenship as it comes along naturally if your a citizen/national of an EU country. It does not replace your nationality as such.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/591727/Form_AN_02-17.pdf

EU Citizenship is on the following link

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/

EU Citizenship is also covered by the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:12012E/TXT

I suppose once the UK is out post Brexit UK nationals will not be EU Citizens hence the rush to acquire such as Irish passports as a back up. Irish passports do say "Citizen of Ireland" and if you are a citizen of an EU member state then you have EU citizenship.

I fail to see how the EU is standing in the way of mandatory background checks?