So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

He's just looking for another opportunity to dribble on with the usual clichéd narrative...

Maybe if you looked it up rather having a ham fisted "pop" at me..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11367282/People-diary-the-BBC-attacked-over-Europe-editor-bias.html

https://biasedbbc.org/blog/2015/07/01/katya-adler-the-peoples-reporter/

Sorry. I assess as I find. I don't recognise those prejudices from viewing the programme. If she has such prejudice she certainly kept it in check on this occasion, as of course she should as a journalist working for the BBC. It was a refreshingly objective study. Refreshing because there was no sign of the usual manipulation woven into it.

• Like 1

One thing I'm interested in is how brexit will affect tourism/citizenship in Europe. In Cyprus for example there's an absolute ton of Isle of Man TT signs which I can only presume are shops held by manxies. (let's see the DED try and stop them using the tt logo!)

I presume it'll be the same because we aren't in the schengen area.

5 euros for a 5 year visa and you will be able to buy eu citizenship......

From the (normally) apallingly liberal BBC, this is an excellent piece of objective work on the current state of the EU. Katya Adler take a bow. Anyone see it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08dx4lz/this-world-after-brexit-the-battle-for-europe

Forget left and right. Could some of you who have been arguing that leaving this crumbling edifice is the end of the world for the UK please watch it and explain why this is a useful organisation to be involved with? Or at least recognise that the EU is not the unchanging "stability" option?

The interview with Guy Verhofstadt was instructive. This man who, appropriately, resides on floor 5½ of the EU Parliament building in Brussels is the lead negotiator for the EU over Brexit. His words suggested that he never actually emerges from that building, such is his denial over what is happening all over the continent. Even the BBC woman was clearly dumbfounded at what he had to say about closer integration in the future. At the end you wonder what the whole thing is for. Trade? What has it to do with trade? If it disappeared tomorrow trade would continue unmolested.

Well, that's an hour of my life I would like back!

It didn't actually say anything new now did it?

Synopsis :

The PIGS are still in the shit and in Italy's case the end or bail-outs may be self-inflicted due to some very poor financial (lack of) management.

The EU has not protected them from globalisation, although why they think it would is a mystery, so the likes of Le Pen see the rise of Trump on a protectionist ticket and think "Giz a job. I can do that" with the now tried and tested "Take control of our own borders" to make you think that's the cause of all these ills and so forth.

The Fatherland is doing very nicely thank you very much indeedy. But then they work hard and produce stuff folks want to buy worldwide.

Not in the peak of health though is it? I mean as a long term bet.

For about the millionth time The Greater French Empire will have to reform itself before it's too late. When "too late" is likely to arrive is impossible to say really.

In a way I would like to see Le Pen win, purely from a point of schadenfreud of course. No France equals no Euro equals no EU. French food production, which seems to have a really deep hold on the Gallic psyche, would then be left with all it's weaknesses dreadfully exposed and not before time. How I would like to see them with their port and road blockades well and truly kippered - hah!

Their food still tastes better than ours though, imho of course.

• Like 1

For about the millionth time The Greater French Empire will have to reform itself before it's too late. When "too late" is likely to arrive is impossible to say really.

In a way I would like to see Le Pen win, purely from a point of schadenfreud of course. No France equals no Euro equals no EU. French food production, which seems to have a really deep hold on the Gallic psyche, would then be left with all it's weaknesses dreadfully exposed and not before time. How I would like to see them with their port and road blockades well and truly kippered - hah!

With friends like you, PK, the EU doesn't really need detractors does it?

Gazing into the crystal ball that none of us are privy to, it could turn out well in the end. Perhaps some of the major EU nations will see the Brussels bureaucracy for what is is - a massive gravy train and a waste of resources - and decide it's had its day in the fairly short term. It is unraveling so quickly that it might happen even during the Brexit notice period. Then we could have an EEC mark II which could genuinely be about trade and trade alone without the flag and the striving for superstatedom.

• Like 1

With friends like you, PK, the EU doesn't really need detractors does it?

You clearly have not been caught taking the Chunnel to get to Brussels only to end up stationary for hours because the Paysan have decided to bar your way for as long as they deem necessary while the woman at your side has that peculiar bladder problem we males don't seem to suffer from!

Seriously though, they seem to be able to act with impunity. Which really pisses me off when the Gendarmes, who would pull you over for every trivial reason they can think of to impose that on the spot fine, stand around and do nothing...

• Like 1