So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

55 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Fourthly, a new referendum would cost a stupid amount of money.

Brilliant!  Just think of all the new job opportunities!  The UK could become the referendum capital of the world.

In relation to UK manufacturing it is great news that production has increased, however, that is not translating into employment.  As woody and others have stated the production is down to improvements in technology and the removal of people from the production process.

Technology has not yet efficiently replaced some people in some industries that traditionally employ large immigrant workforces although the technology is improving. See https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21726727-better-training-new-crop-varieties-and-nimbler-robots-help-get-harvest-british-farms 

So what happens when we are all replaced in the workplace with machinery/robotics or algorithms?  Don't forget that these won't be owned by everyone but will be owned by those wealthy enough to invest in the technology.

31 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Brilliant!  Just think of all the new job opportunities!  The UK could become the referendum capital of the world.

In relation to UK manufacturing it is great news that production has increased, however, that is not translating into employment.  As woody and others have stated the production is down to improvements in technology and the removal of people from the production process.

Technology has not yet efficiently replaced some people in some industries that traditionally employ large immigrant workforces although the technology is improving. See https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21726727-better-training-new-crop-varieties-and-nimbler-robots-help-get-harvest-british-farms 

So what happens when we are all replaced in the workplace with machinery/robotics or algorithms?  Don't forget that these won't be owned by everyone but will be owned by those wealthy enough to invest in the technology.

I think you'll find it was me and not #woodyfacts that highlighted the impact of automation on those industry figures.

Manufacturing is also up due to weakened pound, yay Brexit!

• Haha 1

A second referendum would currently be as pointless as the first. Most of the electorate have not got a clue what the differences are between the EU Single Market, the EU Customs Union and EU membership.  Norway, for example, is part of the EU Single Market but not part of the EU or the EU Customs Union - where as Gibraltar is in the EU and the Single Market but is outside of the EU Customs Union.

If there were to be a second referendum then IOM people should definitely be included since the IOM is part of the EU Customs Union (which the current govt has said that Britain will leave as part of leaving the EU) - and most Manx people are also EU citizens under Maastricht. All Manx people are British citizens and should therefore get the opportunity to vote. All British citizens should be allowed to decide - including those living outside of the UK. Otherwise, like the previous referendum, it would not be a democratic choice.

Edited by pongo

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

I think you'll find it was me and not #woodyfacts that highlighted the impact of automation on those industry figures.

your forgetting the sell rate which equals more pounds....

#fantaboy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pongo said:

A second referendum would currently be as pointless as the first. Most of the electorate have not got a clue what the differences are between the EU Single Market, the EU Customs Union and EU membership.  Norway, for example, is part of the EU Single Market but not part of the EU or the EU Customs Union - where as Gibraltar is in the EU and the Single Market but is outside of the EU Customs Union.

cambodia?

If there were to be a second referendum then IOM people should definitely be included since the IOM is part of the EU Customs Union (which the current govt has said that Britain will leave as part of leaving the EU) - and most Manx people are also EU citizens under Maastricht. All Manx people are British citizens and should therefore get the opportunity to vote. All British citizens should be allowed to decide - including those living outside of the UK. Otherwise, like the previous referendum, it would not be a democratic choice.

iom isn't a member of the eu and if you have chosen to live outside the uk tough...

14 minutes ago, woody2 said:

#fantaboy

Nope, the are many reasons for the increase in manufacturing, I merely mentioned one of them. Presumably you aren't so blinkered that you don't accept that the value of the pound is intrinsically linked to sales and export?

I can only assume that your constant reference to fantaboy is you accusing me of being a homosexual male who has a tendency to Fanta in the pub (source urban dictionary). I can find no other relevant reference on the internet. 

16 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Nope, the are many reasons for the increase in manufacturing, I merely mentioned one of them. Presumably you aren't so blinkered that you don't accept that the value of the pound is intrinsically linked to sales and export?

I can only assume that your constant reference to fantaboy is you accusing me of being a homosexual male who has a tendency to Fanta in the pub (source urban dictionary). I can find no other relevant reference on the internet. 

nope and nope.....

26 minutes ago, woody2 said:

nope and nope.....

You don't accept that the value of the pound is intrinsically linked to sales and export? Really? That's not my personal theory, it's a universally accepted economic principle.

What on earth is fantaboy then? Or are you too much of a coward to explain yourself?

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

You don't accept that the value of the pound is intrinsically linked to sales and export? Really? That's not my personal theory, it's a universally accepted economic principle.

What on earth is fantaboy then? Or are you too much of a coward to explain yourself?

you clearly have zero idea on international business.....

#fantaboy

35 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

It's like reasoning with a child. You make assumptions about things I've never said, you simply refuse to accept simple facts, you would say it was day if I said it was night, and you are too cowardly to explain yourself. You're a strange fish.

i quoted what you said ffs:rolleyes:

why only refer to buy rates? sell rates are much more important.....

• Like 1