So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Yes woolley, seems you do need powers of ‘creative thought’, wishful thinking, dreaming and wild fantasy to picture a good outcome for Brexit. Would you mind telling us which particular section of the economy or even any particular industry you think will be able to make a success out of Brexit. Don’t hold back, roll up a fat one and dream away. One industry that stands to gain will do. 

Edited by Freggyragh

10 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

I think Thatcher was a product of her times. The ‘entitled’ generation had come pretty close to crippling the U.K. whilst standing round braziers, refusing to work. That had to be stopped. Thatcher had to move the economy away from manufacturing because too many baby boomers were just too entitled and bone idle to work, so any honest assessment of Thatcher has to give credit to her for the economic changes that fuelled the post-Maastricht economic boom in the U.K.

In my opinion, she also did the world a service by defeating the fascist regime of Galtieri. Of course, her support for Pinochet and the like blemishes that record, but can be almost forgiven as an act of loyalty. 

As a scientist she understood the importance of maintaining investment in education and research, and pushed much of the reform and progress that made CERN a success.  When elected a fellow of Royal Society in 1988 she chose climate change as the theme of her acceptance speech: ‘we may have unwittingly begun a massive experiment with the system of this planet itself’. 

Thatcher might not have done much for women in terms of her legislative program, but she was a trailblazer for women. I have a suspicion that much of the vitriol that came her way was pure misogyny.

What I find impossible to forgive Thatcher for are her dealings with the regions of England that suffered disproportionately from her economic policies, her behaviour towards Scotland and above all her policies in the north of Ireland. It was a very good thing when John Major took over and laid the groundwork for peace.

Anyway, back to this Brexit enigma. I see the Department for Exiting the EU impact assessments have been leaked and, lo and behold, there are no good scenarios forecast for those who believe in unicorns. One surprise was they suggest that agriculture might escape relatively unscathed. I’m wondering what type of agriculture could survive if the U.K. has to seek new trade agreements. Any ideas?

everything that happened under hilda would of happened anyway, was the maastricht treaty the one she regretted signing for the rest of her life or another one? at least maggiemay didn't fall for the same eu trick last month and walked away......

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

Yes woolley, seems you do need powers of ‘creative thought’, wishful thinking, dreaming and wild fantasy to picture a good outcome for Brexit. Would you mind telling us which particular section of the economy or even any particular industry you think will be able to make a success out of Brexit. Don’t hold back, roll up a fat one and dream away. One industry that stands to gain will do. 

Why don't you extend your horizons, lift yourself out of the gloom and search for possibilities all on your own? Taking off those grey-tinted glasses might help...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

I am no fan of Hilda but I recall the miners were encouraged to sacrifice themselves by Scargill. If you want true political dogma, look back at his aspirations.

I don't recall it being like that.

I do remember the clashes between the miners and the police got extremely nasty.

I'm no fan of Scargill but all his warnings about what would happen to the industry all came true.

Don't forget the miners effectively brought down Heath's tory government hence the next lot were always going to make sure that would never happen again irrespective of the economic and social fallout.

It did get very nasty between the police and the miners especially at Orgreave near Sheffield with the police really provoking them. However many of the miners were hardly well behaved.

If you look back you will see that they had been awarded a pay rise thanks to Scargill and not much later went back for another bite of the cherry fired up by Scargill who had definite political motives. His representation went far further than worker's rights. Still 1984 is a long time ago....

Many of the mines would have closed within afew years if there had been no strike as lots were exhausted anyway. That being the case, it was on obvious prediction for Scargill to make.

2 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

It did get very nasty between the police and the miners especially at Orgreave near Sheffield with the police really provoking them. However many of the miners were hardly well behaved.

If you look back you will see that they had been awarded a pay rise thanks to Scargill and not much later went back for another bite of the cherry fired up by Scargill who had definite political motives. His representation went far further than worker's rights. Still 1984 is a long time ago....

Many of the mines would have closed within afew years if there had been no strike as lots were exhausted anyway. That being the case, it was on obvious prediction for Scargill to make.

Sure but how many folks acknowledged the fact that mining was the most dangerous occupation in the UK?

What was Scargill's political motivation? 

9 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Probably all of them in the long run, but that isn't the main driver of Brexit. It is about sovereignty, democracy and accountability. Nothing more and nothing less. Run your own affairs first and then arrange the best trading environment. Why can you not picture a good outcome. Business people will always trade despite politicians and their machinations not because of them.

4 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

I would certainly acknowledge the dangers of mining and have been down a pit (Williamthorpe in the early 70s).

There was no doubt Scargill wanted to bring down the government but Hilda was ready having stockpiled coal at power stations.

Which makes her intentions clear does it not...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

It is about sovereignty, democracy and accountability. Nothing more and nothing less. 

So how do you feel about living on the IOM? Where all of monetary policy and much of fiscal policy is decided in London and yet we do not get to elect an MP to the London Parliament? Not forgetting foreign policy, declaring war etc.

Are you in favour of the island becoming fully independent or would you prefer to elect an MP?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pongo said:

So how do you feel about living on the IOM? Where all of monetary policy and much of fiscal policy is decided in London and yet we do not get to elect an MP to the London Parliament? Not forgetting foreign policy, declaring war etc.

Are you in favour of the island becoming fully independent or would you prefer to elect an MP?

I came here fully aware of the curious constitutional situation. We all know what that is. Basically we do as we are told. We are a British territory largely run in line with British policy of the day and there are pros and cons of being here. If we elected a Tory MP,  which we undoubtedly would, it would make not one iota of difference to anything.

• Thanks 1