So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Sad metaphor for Brexit on the Thames today. Rees Mogg though it would be a good idea to get on a boat to protest about Davis’ inability to even get a conscession on fish out of Barnier. It was the last hope of any sector of the economy being in any way better off because of Brexit. Turns out you need a permit to pick up passengers at the quayside he was waiting at. What a sorry spectacle he made, a man who thought he had a good idea, was very self assure when he announced what he thought would happen, but didn’t know the facts, didn’t bother consulting with anyone who might and was left standing on the quayside looking a plonker while the boat sailed away without him.

Shame really, because man-of-the-people Nigel Farage managed to hop onboard and steal the, erm, 20 sec novelty feature on the news, by tossing fish into the Thames. I suppose Farage tried to make a splash, but seems like no one was taking much notice - he could have done with a tosser like Rees Mogg to help him out. 

20 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

One credible example of the ‘sovereignty’ you’re looking forward to getting back at such great expense would useful. Your last attempt at this was the ability to produce halogen lamps that will be obsolete in the rest of the world when, or if brexit ever happens. What else is on your wish list? The right to smoke on the top deck of the bus? 

OK, if you can't work it out for yourself. The EU is the antithesis of democracy. It is self-serving as are all overblown, full of their own importance bureaucracies. I'll do better than give you one example. The entire structure is flawed as it leads to poor government and oversight in the constituent states, and for the past forty years there has been this same democratic deficit throughout Europe.

Regulations are handed down from Brussels to the subsidiary states and in practice the parliaments there simply rubber stamp them without further scrutiny. The national government of the day generally doesn't dispute them because everyone knows it is futile inside the EU straitjacket. Likewise, by convention, the opposition parties do not oppose them because, as they originate with the EU, they know full well that the government cannot change anything even if it wanted to. If these measures had been created in Whitehall the opposition would be all over them line by line putting down amendments and arguing their case in debate to make better law. As it is, there has been a long period of lazy politics and important decisions ceded to external determination. This abdication of political responsibility has gone on for too long and is not good enough. Populations all over Europe are finally waking up to the pup they've been sold. The end will not be pretty.

You clearly support the creeping European super state of ever closer union and that is your privilege, but don't try to hide that behind it all being about trade, or because Britain can't manage to survive in the world "on its own". It most certainly can.

As for halogen lamps, I think I will leave the minutiae to you. I have never posted on the subject as far as I can recall.

Edited by woolley
  • Thanks 1

Another Brexiteer demonstrates their grasp of the issues:

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/brexiteer-tells-james-obrien-to-stop-giving-facts/

This Brexiteer stopped in the middle of an argument with James O'Brien to ask him to stop quoting facts at her.

Jean in Lowestoft is extremely passionate about the British fishing industry, having worked in it for most of her life.

As James O'Brien asked why fishing has become such a big issue for Brexit, Jean called up to explain why the Common Fisheries Policy is such a disaster for Britain.

But when James started quoting some figures that questioned some of her comments, she didn't like it.

Jean said: "You're now looking at figures and getting heavy with me."

To which James responded: "I am. I'm looking at facts and you're giving me feelings.

"This is Brexit. This is the debate. You and I are never going to agree with each other.

"I sympathise with your position. You don't like the fact I'm giving you facts and figures."

Jean hit back: "Have faith in your country, Mr O'Brien. It will happen!"

Earlier, Jean said that if we left the EU, we could just sell to other places, pointing out that she had just shipped some whelks to South Korea. But listeners pointed out trade with South Korea is only possible because of the Korean trade deal with the EU.

The Daily Mash never fails to deliver:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/years-of-tedious-bollocks-definitely-what-we-voted-for-say-brexiters-20180320146139

Pensioner Roy Hobbs said: “When I voted to leave the EU I was hoping there’d be a good debate about airline regulations. It’s hilarious to suggest it was anything to do with foreigners."

Etc.....

9 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Sad metaphor for Brexit on the Thames today. Rees Mogg though it would be a good idea to get on a boat to protest about Davis’ inability to even get a conscession on fish out of Barnier. It was the last hope of any sector of the economy being in any way better off because of Brexit. Turns out you need a permit to pick up passengers at the quayside he was waiting at. What a sorry spectacle he made, a man who thought he had a good idea, was very self assure when he announced what he thought would happen, but didn’t know the facts, didn’t bother consulting with anyone who might and was left standing on the quayside looking a plonker while the boat sailed away without him.

Shame really, because man-of-the-people Nigel Farage managed to hop onboard and steal the, erm, 20 sec novelty feature on the news, by tossing fish into the Thames. I suppose Farage tried to make a splash, but seems like no one was taking much notice - he could have done with a tosser like Rees Mogg to help him out. 

29468994_10156249826325948_3918534077637588435_n.jpg

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Another Brexiteer demonstrates their grasp of the issues:

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/brexiteer-tells-james-obrien-to-stop-giving-facts/

This Brexiteer stopped in the middle of an argument with James O'Brien to ask him to stop quoting facts at her.

Jean in Lowestoft is extremely passionate about the British fishing industry, having worked in it for most of her life.

As James O'Brien asked why fishing has become such a big issue for Brexit, Jean called up to explain why the Common Fisheries Policy is such a disaster for Britain.

But when James started quoting some figures that questioned some of her comments, she didn't like it.

Jean said: "You're now looking at figures and getting heavy with me."

To which James responded: "I am. I'm looking at facts and you're giving me feelings.

"This is Brexit. This is the debate. You and I are never going to agree with each other.

"I sympathise with your position. You don't like the fact I'm giving you facts and figures."

Jean hit back: "Have faith in your country, Mr O'Brien. It will happen!"

Earlier, Jean said that if we left the EU, we could just sell to other places, pointing out that she had just shipped some whelks to South Korea. But listeners pointed out trade with South Korea is only possible because of the Korean trade deal with the EU.

I listened to that.  It is indicative of the "cross your fingers and hope for the best" mentality that a of Brexiteers are displaying.

But it is okay, the Unicorns are primed and ready for deployment.  Anytime soon a tangible positive will reveal itself...

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Regulations are handed down from Brussels to the subsidiary states and in practice the parliaments there simply rubber stamp them without further scrutiny.

European regulation is drafted by civil servants - then amended, rejected or ultimately adopted by the elected EU Parliament. Analogous to the way in which UK regulation is drafted by Civil Servants, then  amended, rejected or ultimately adopted by the UK Parliament.

IOM regulation, by contrast, often seems to be handed down without IOM people being democratically represented at source - whether in the EU or Westminster. That's how it is going to be for the UK post-Brexit too. Since in practice we will all be following the same codes but having zero input.

I'm not arguing for or against btw.

Edited by pongo