So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

18 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Sorry, unlike some I don't have several hours to spare on a treatise most folks won't bother reading.

And it's not a blueprint as I think mostly the EU is ok. Just tinkering around the edges.

Oh, come now, PK. You have all the time in the world.

You've conceded that it needs reforming. Which edges would you tinker with?

Edited by woolley

5 minutes ago, Rog said:

Switzerland.

Healthcare in Switzerland is universal and is regulated by the Swiss Federal Law on Health Insurance. There are no free state-provided health services, but private health insurance is compulsory for all persons residing in Switzerland (within three months of taking up residence or being born in the country).

17 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Healthcare in Switzerland is universal and is regulated by the Swiss Federal Law on Health Insurance. There are no free state-provided health services, but private health insurance is compulsory for all persons residing in Switzerland (within three months of taking up residence or being born in the country).

And it's very expensive, I lived there for 25 years.

23 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

There is also basic but very good provision for those who are genuinely skint. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, quilp said:

The age breakdown is irrelevant in this case. It's the way its universal (for all) healthcare model is organised. Working Israelis pay a yearly health tax of around 4-5%. This is separate to the other couple of schemes to which they contribute. The Yanks don't contribute monies directly to Israeli healthcare by the way. Israel receives a yearly defence credit from the US, around $4 billion +/-dollars, which could be construed as freeing up monies which contribute to their health system but at the same time the US also restricts Israel from selling their warfare tech to many other countries, including China, which could be considered adversarial to US interests around the globe. So they give conditionally with one hand and restrict Israel's potential in the global arms market with the other.

Off topic... 

I think the age demographic is highly relevant.

Donations to Israel from North America, claiming back the tax en route, is a veritable industry in it's own right!

https://www.israelgives.info/international

What better organisation to donate to than, say, this:

https://www.friendsofschneider.org.il/?CategoryID=272&ArticleID=359

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Oh, come now, PK. You have all the time in the world.

You've conceded that it needs reforming. Which edges would you tinker with?

I've " conceded" nothing. Zip, zilch, zero nada. Except perhaps in your imagination as I''ve always said it needs reform.

I'm amazed you know how busy, or not, I am.

How do you do that?

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I've " conceded" nothing. Zip, zilch, zero nada. Except perhaps in your imagination as I''ve always said it needs reform.

I'm amazed you know how busy, or not, I am.

How do you do that?

I see deep into your soul. It's a gift; or a curse.

ETA: Almost forgot. What needs reforming?

Edited by woolley
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, woolley said:

ETA: Almost forgot. What needs reforming?

A common cry on here by the brexit lot is that the EU parliament is undemocratic and the UK's voice doesn't get heard. Well, it is set up in a strange way.

The total number of MEP's is capped at 750. So every time a new country joins they play musical chairs. The maximum number of MEP's a country can have is 96. However there is also a minimum number a country can have which is 6. So you end up with a very strange demographic where Germany has 96 MEPs to serve a population of 82m and at the other end of the scale Malta has 6 MEPs to serve a population of 420,000. So the ratio is Germany 1 MEP per 850k citicens and Malta 1 MEP per 70k citizens or basically 12 to 1.

If it works, then fine. But it doesn't look very democratic....